Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
aemoreira81

M6 to be eliminated even if there is an MTA bailout

The MTA will soon eliminate the M6 as part of an overhaul of eight bus lines to make way for Mayor Bloomberg's planned pedestrian plazas at Times Square and Herald Square, according to agency documents.

Seven other lines will be redirected down Seventh Avenue, and the M7 stop at Union Square will be eliminated, documents show.

The redrawn routes will bring about faster travel times and shorter waits, the MTA said.

Cutting the M6, which has 5,200 average weekday riders, will result in a half-mile stretch between Worth and Houston streets without a bus line, the documents show, with the closest alternate being the M20 two blocks west.

The plans are pending the MTA board's approval at its April 29 meeting. Major construction on the pedestrian plazas will begin around Memorial Day, the city DOT said.

There building a Plaza? Geez this will generate more traffic.. As for the Manhattan (6) bus, its bad news, which means the M20 would be packed..for people who doesnt like using rapid transit..Is it possible to extend the M20 south of Battery Park?

The thing is, isn't the M6 just a truncated version of the M1?

Well the M1 travels father north then the M6..

This sounds like when the M10 got cut from battery park in the 90s withe M20

Well the M1 travels father north then the M6..

This sounds like when the M10 got cut from battery park in the 90s withe M20

Well like I said, the M6 is just a "truncated" version, meaning a shorter version of the M1.

The old M10 was too long. The old routing caused buses to be late. The M20 was created to ease that burden.

The M6 doesn't mirror the M1 in any way. The M1 is a east side route. The M6 is a west side route.

Oh right, M1 uses Madison/5th

The M6 is Broadway and 6th

What are the exact changes to the M1 M7 and M20 if the M6 is canned? The Post article does not mention it. The proposals i would do below if Broadway was closed permanetly between Times Sq and Union Sq.

So 33rd Street what you propose to replace the M6?

Here my ideas assuming BOTH no other bus cuts are made AND BROADWAY IS PERMANETLY CLOSED TO TRAFFIC BTEWEEN TIMES SQ AND UNION SQ TO REPLACE THE M6.

a)The M-7 is extended to Astro Place 'semi bus terminal' where the M2, M101, 102 and 103 terminate. Replaces M6 service along 6-7th Aves.

A1)IF BWAY IS CLOSED BETWEEN TIMES SQ AND UNION SQ. THE M-7 FROM 59th/Central Park South 'new route' RUNS ALONG 7TH AVENUE, THEN A LEFT ONTO 25RD STREET EASTBOUND AND A TURN ONTO PARK AVE SOUTH THEN EXISTING ROUTE.

b)The M1 is extended to South Ferry on 'alternative trips' as limited stop service 7 days running appx. 6am-Midnight. Replaces the M6 between 8th St and South Ferry.

Late Nights buses start/end at the current Astro Place terminal. "Local' or 'short turn' M-1's end at 8th St/Bway.

c)Increased service on the M-103.

Remember guys most of the (R) Local stations along the Broadway line and the (F)(V) 6th Ave stations ARE STILL NOT ada ACCESSIBLE. ANY REACTIONS?

Hudson River, the most viable option is to have the M1 run to South Ferry at all times except late nights. As for terminating the M7 at Astor Place, it isn't one of the best things to do. Adding another route would be an operations nightmare. I can't come up with any other suggestions at the moment.

i agree with you 33rd. Only problem is southbound where you run the m-7 between Columbus Circle and Union Sq.?

Plan 1:

Go straight down Columbus/9th Avenue to 23rd Street, straight down 23rd Street, turn on Broadway and terminate at Union Square

Plan 2:

Go down 7th Avenue to 23rd Street, straight down 23rd Street, turn on Park Avenue South and terminate at Union Square.

I think the new M7 southbound will go down 7th for these reasons? You got too many buses already down 5th (ie M-1-5 & Q-32 & countless Express Buses)and along 9th Ave the horror show known as the Lincoln Tunnel.

What are the exact changes to the M1 M7 and M20 if the M6 is canned? The Post article does not mention it. The proposals i would do below if Broadway was closed permanetly between Times Sq and Union Sq.

So 33rd Street what you propose to replace the M6?

Here my ideas assuming BOTH no other bus cuts are made AND BROADWAY IS PERMANETLY CLOSED TO TRAFFIC BTEWEEN TIMES SQ AND UNION SQ TO REPLACE THE M6.

a)The M-7 is extended to Astro Place 'semi bus terminal' where the M2, M101, 102 and 103 terminate. Replaces M6 service along 6-7th Aves.

A1)IF BWAY IS CLOSED BETWEEN TIMES SQ AND UNION SQ. THE M-7 FROM 59th/Central Park South 'new route' RUNS ALONG 7TH AVENUE, THEN A LEFT ONTO 25RD STREET EASTBOUND AND A TURN ONTO PARK AVE SOUTH THEN EXISTING ROUTE.

b)The M1 is extended to South Ferry on 'alternative trips' as limited stop service 7 days running appx. 6am-Midnight. Replaces the M6 between 8th St and South Ferry.

Late Nights buses start/end at the current Astro Place terminal. "Local' or 'short turn' M-1's end at 8th St/Bway.

c)Increased service on the M-103.

Remember guys most of the (R) Local stations along the Broadway line and the (F)(V) 6th Ave stations ARE STILL NOT ada ACCESSIBLE. ANY REACTIONS?

Those will be revealed shortly. If there are people who actually will not be able to use the subway, they could always apply for ADA paratransit.

i agree with you 33rd. Only problem is southbound where you run the m-7 between Columbus Circle and Union Sq.?

Barring a bailout, the M1 is scheduled for a weekend truncation; I am not sure if this will change because the M1 is being eliminated.

However, 6 Avenue below Houston Street would lose all bus service, the A/C/E would be the alternative or the M20 on Hudson Street.

This is a stupid idea and it will cuase more congestion on 7th Av because they already have the M10,20,104, AND 27 on 7th...

South of 34th, the M7 assuming it travels down 7th, only other bus is the M20.

IMO a fair compromise to take cars off that road, is that NYC should make Southbound Broadway similar to Fulton Mall in Downtown Brooklyn, buses, bikes and deleivers only. It would be problems for some riders mainly in the ADA/senior community who cant use the nearby (R) or (F)(V) subway lines at most stations.

Not surprised, but either way, I see doomsday happening anyway.

The thing is, isn't the M6 just a truncated version of the M1?
And to add on to what 33rd Street said, the M1 does not serve South Ferry at all times.

There building a Plaza? Geez this will generate more traffic.. As for the Manhattan (6) bus, its bad news, which means the M20 would be packed..for people who doesnt like using rapid transit..Is it possible to extend the M20 south of Battery Park?
?

South of 34th, the M7 assuming it travels down 7th, only other bus is the M20.

IMO a fair compromise to take cars off that road, is that NYC should make Southbound Broadway similar to Fulton Mall in Downtown Brooklyn, buses, bikes and deleivers only. It would be problems for some riders mainly in the ADA/senior community who cant use the nearby (R) or (F)(V) subway lines at most stations.

I really want to see something of that sort. Under the Broadway plaza plan, buses will be sent to run on 7th Avenue, as with other traffic. Opening up a lane will allow for emergency access and bus access. Plus, the buses may run faster since there is a dedicated lane.

I really want to see something of that sort. Under the Broadway plaza plan, buses will be sent to run on 7th Avenue, as with other traffic. Opening up a lane will allow for emergency access and bus access. Plus, the buses may run faster since there is a dedicated lane.

Not bad for myself a dummy when someone in PM messages treated me like a baby and rude when i made a helpful suggestion to help him in college & beyond lol.

Not only Broadway in Midtown but maybe Roosevelt between Main and Union Stst in Downtown Flushing as well.

Sorry for the double post.

if M6 does get discontunied or be removed out of service?

M7 would replace the M6 route?

1. M7 would run 148 street to south ferry:

except late night?

M7 would run 148 street to union square ( all times)?

or

(N)(R)(Q) would replace M6.?

if M6 does get discontunied or be removed out of service?

M7 would replace the M6 route?

1. M7 would run 148 street to south ferry:

except late night?

M7 would run 148 street to union square ( all times)?

or

(N)(R)(Q) would replace M6.?

Use the subway (south), or M7 (north). If one cannot use the subway, apply for Access-A-Ride.

The M7's new south end would be at 14 Street and 6 Avenue.

The last day of the M6 is Saturday May 23, 2009. On Friday the (MTA) announced major changes to North-South Midtown/Lower Manhattan bus service. Here the press info. By the way, to NYCTF member, S78, i owe you an apology as the M1 will be extended to South Ferry at all times 7 days a week.

Major changes to M6 and several Midtown bus lines.

All NYCT Local Southbound buses Manhattan bus routes rerouted from Broadway to 7 Av in Midtown Manhattan because of traffic flow changes by the New York City Department of Transportation

What’s happening:

The New York City Department of Transportation (DOT) is making street and traffic changes between 59 and 23 Streets that will affect southbound bus traffic. DOT is adding pedestrian walkways and bike lanes to this area of Broadway. Southbound bus service that normally serves this area will be rerouted down 7 Av, except for the M6 which will be discontinued.

This year-long pilot program by DOT is expected to improve traffic flow in this area. If succesful, this new traffic pattern, will become permanment starting June 1, 2010.

The following routes are affected:

M6, M7, M10, M20, M27, M30, M104

Customer Benefits

With all buses running on 7 Av, it’s easier to find your bus stop.

More frequent southbound service to speed your trip.

Re-establishment of a bus stop near the center of Times Square because of the expansion of pedestrian space.

*M6*

Service discontinued. For southbound service, use the M7 or M20 on 7 Av from 59 St to 14 St and use the M1 from Union Square to South Ferry. The M1 now operates at all times including nights and weekends to South Ferry with some M1 trips during the day still ending in the East Village on 8th Street. For northbound service, use the M1 from South Ferry, the M5 and M7 on 6 Av, or the M20 on 8 Av.

Note: The M1 and M20(starting June 28)will both be extended to South Ferry.

M7

The M7 continues along 7 Av to 14 St, then travels on 14 St to 6 Av. The new Southbound Terminal for the M7 is on the northbound M5 stop on 6th Avnue between 14th and 15th Streets. Riders can walk a few blocks to Union Sq. or transfer to either the (L) train or M14.

M10/M20

Instead of traveling from Columbus Circle to 7 Av/49 St via Broadway, the southbound M10 and M20 travel east on 59 St/Central Park South to 7 Av, then travel south on 7 Av. In addition, The M20 southbound terminal will be extended to South Ferry beginning June 28. More Details of the M20 Extension to follow shortly in later announcement.

Minor Route Changes to the M27, M30 and M104 in West Midtown area.

M27

The westbound M27 leaves 49 St at 7 Av instead of Broadway, then travels south on 7 Av to 42 St, where it returns to its regular route along 42 St.

M30

Instead of traveling down Broadway, the eastbound M30 continues along 58 St to 7 Av, then travels south on 7 Av and returns to its regular route east along 57 St.

M104

Instead of traveling down Broadway from Columbus Circle to 7 Av/45 St, the southbound M104 runs east on 59 St, then south on 7 Av to 45 St, and continues its regular route along 7 Av to 42 St.

If any other questions all the subway/bus info line at (718)330-1234 or visit the MTA website at http://WWW.MTA.INFO New schedules and Updated Manhattan Bus maps will soon be online.

My personal takes. You could have IMO run the M20 down 9th Avenue Southbound (to help out the M11) and the M6 along 7th Avenue till 14th Street. People who are disabled/ADA and Eldery riders are now screwed with no bus service pretty much along all of Broadway south of 59-Columbus Circle and 6th Ave between Houston and Chambers. Only a ouple of stations along the (R)(W) and (1) lines are ADA accessible.

The only good news is that the M1 will now run down to South Ferry 7 days a week. The M1 was on the doomesday cuts and now it will operate to connect w/ the SI Ferry all times. I hope 'limited stop' M1 service is expanded to run 7 days a week like the M2 since this is a long route.

Personally i dont think M1 overnight service between South Ferry and 8th/St Marks is warranted:confused:.

Reactions guys?

i'll say just leave the M6 and all other buses just the way they are. All of these changes is whats causing traffic and delays.

They could have re-routed the M6. Glad I rode it today full way from Central Park South to South Ferry.

i'll say just leave the M6 and all other buses just the way they are. All of these changes is whats causing traffic and delays.

Luis on the canning of the M6, this one is not the MTA's fault. It part of Mayor Bloomberg master plan of a 'greener new york' and appeal to enviormental active voters and thus Broadway between Times Sq and Union Sq is about to become car/bus and vechile free.

You could have kept the M6 IMO and run it along with the M7 along Bway. similar to Downtown Brooklyn Fulton St Mall as a bus only route. Or along 7th Avenue as well.