Where do you think Amtrak increases speed (NEC)?

Dre Day

Wondering what you guys think where Amtrak can increase its speeds on the NEC.

1. Lets start right out of the tunnels. I think the speed can be increased there because of the new portal bridge thats going on up.

2. Just south of Elizabeth curve to Metropark.

3. Linden to Trenton (For Acelas)

4. South of Morrisville to Shore.

5.South of Philly to Claymont

6.South of Willmington to Perry (For Acelas)

7. Harve de Grace to Bay Int

8. BWI to Washington.

You hit every spot I was thinking of, one thing I'll add though is the Elizabeth S-curve really needs to be straightened out. You not only feel the change in speed on transit but with Amtrak as well. If that could be fixed I think it would improve things drastically.

Don't forget the bridge in New London, CT. Since the coast guard controls it and they limit the amount of times it can close per hour for trains. That would eliminate the extra time built into the schedule to account for the times the bridge is open and trains will have to wait.

Also, from New Haven to just past New Rochelle is owned by Metro-North. Currently the Acela is prohibited from tiliting because on some curves and straights the trains pass within 10 inches of each other. They need to straighten some tracks and re-space them to allow the Acela to tilt.

The new union college building will limit what can be done at the elizabeth S curve.

Track re-spacing is needed between edison and metropark.

The interlocking at jersey ave and union need to be reworked, simplified, and all the wooden ties replaced with concrete ties.

Rebuild the trackbed and related structures between ewr and the new stuff near sec including inside nwk.

Rebuild all other switching spots with diagonally & horizontally braced rails with guides, and decrease the angle to allow faster speeds and longer time between issues.

Replace all remaining jointed track with CWR.

Allow (NJT) to go as fast as the equipment can go vs have an enforced speed cap of 100. The P40's, the ALP's, (and the next generation of EMU) can all go at least 110. The ALP-46a, and eventual ALP-46 rebuild will yield locomotives capable of 125 mph. This will allow more capacity.

As for what transit does:

Keep the current slow fleet of transit trains off the express tracks. This means the arrow 3 and the silverliner 2, 3, and 4.

Re-open trenton depot to allow :septa: to turn there rather than sometimes using all 4 tracks to do it.

Run all trains within practicality locomotive first to allow peak speeds vs reduced speed cab car operation.

- A

First, they should upgrade the catenary voltage from New Haven and South to 25kv 60hz/cycle. Then they should upgrade the tracks and alignments. As for constant tension catenary, they should use the existing PRR Catenary poles and simply bolt on those extra arms to support the catenary instead of completely replacing the PRR poles. When NJT rebuilds those ALP-44s, they should definitely be geared for 125mph.

First, they should upgrade the catenary voltage from New Haven and South to 25kv 60hz/cycle. Then they should upgrade the tracks and alignments. As for constant tension catenary, they should use the existing PRR Catenary poles and simply bolt on those extra arms to support the catenary instead of completely replacing the PRR poles. When NJT rebuilds those ALP-44s, they should definitely be geared for 125mph.

Yea, there are a few cat towers that need replacing, but for the most part they are sufficient for constant tension.

The rebuild of the 44's and eventual rebuild of the current 46's should very much indeed be geared for 125 mph.

I did some eyeballing research over the last month. The S curve can be straightened a lot more, you just would need to use a support structure vs embankment to do it because of that new building. Currently the ROW along that stretch sits on top of a fairly high embankment. PRR did an -amazing- job of making a flat route over such hugely varying terrain, i just think it might be time to improve it with modern technology such as post tensioning and the like.

- A

On second thought, I think the ALP-46As should be geared for 135mph like the HHP-8s in order to suffice for a future coupler/overall equipment upgrade.

That would be nice, but were not going to see that anytime soon since equipment will need to be compatible with other locos in the NJT fleet, same reason Amtrak won't do it. The only thing I can think of is maybe they would do something like VIA's Renaissance cars and have a single car with a knuckle and the rest another type of coupler, but that would still restrict the top speed.

Ok, how about this. We have 110 for for comets, and 125 for the multilevels.

Keep the 44's and the 45's while on the NEC with the comets, and the 46 and 46a's with the multilevels.

It would only mean a little bit more work for people in the yards, but i think it would be worth it.

You could have the comets and arrows ride the local tracks, even on express trains, simply have the express "go around" the local.

If PRR could do it (NJT) can too. :cool::tup:

- A

Thats the plan transit has, I beleive, except we have to realize at some point they may start mixing Comets and Multilevels. They do this now with car transfers but luckily the PEI does not work between the cars so the can't run revenue, if thats fixed all hell breaks loose!

The MLV delivery should be complete by fall. I'd expect them to fiddle with it between now and when the 45's arrive. The 46a's will be rolling in also this year, and i expect them to be paired exclusively to the multilevels especially since they can pull 12 by themselves at 100.

*huge sigh of relief* no more standing for 45 minutes on a moving train. :eek::tup::cool:

I also think that amtrak needs cab cars, maybe they could also try dual loco trains, this would simplify things. Also, longer trains.

The cabbage idea works too. Anything to allow trains to both turn around more quickly & travel max speed on every rev move.

- A

• 8 months later...

It would eventually be nice if the speed on the lower NEC from New York to WAS is between 170 (280km/h) to 225mph (340km/H), that would cut down travel time greatly and by eliminating that S- curve and rehabbing the Havgre De grace Bridge to allow for 200mph running, the NEC would do far better in terms of patronage with faster speeds

Archived