MTA Should hold up on New Rolling Stock/Bus fleets?

mark1447

Would you buy a house or new car while you're heading into bankruptcy ? That's the type of thinking that got this agency ,(MTA), and country in the fix we're in today.

I agree 100%, I wish I could run my house finances as (MTA) runs theirs. All purchasing must be stopped, the draining of funds stopped enough to re-evaluate the "plans" already proposed.. Furthermore, If you have an ongoing year after year operating deficit, how could any sane person consider expanding the system? Also, I've read that the LIRR expansion to Grand Central will service ONLY 400,000 riders daily. Why are THESE people worth the BILLIONS in resource being allocated to this project?!?! I believe the projects that will benefit the MOST people are the ones that should be addressed first, after all, it is ALL of our money..

I agree 100%, I wish I could run my house finances as (MTA) runs theirs. All purchasing must be stopped, the draining of funds stopped enough to re-evaluate the "plans" already proposed.. Furthermore, If you have an ongoing year after year operating deficit, how could any sane person consider expanding the system? Also, I've read that the LIRR expansion to Grand Central will service ONLY 400,000 riders daily. Why are THESE people worth the BILLIONS in resource being allocated to this project?!?! I believe the projects that will benefit the MOST people are the ones that should be addressed first, after all, it is ALL of our money..

Besides all of the expansion projects in the pipeline how many of my fellow posters, employees or not, have noticed the sheer amount of G.O.'s that have been running since the year started. Has anyone not employed by (NYCT) or (MTA) stopped to think "if they're broke where is this money coming from" ? Shuttle buses in the Bronx, Manhattan, and the Rockaways for example. That's a lot of overtime for B/Os in some depots. Contractors pouring new sidewalks in Brooklyn. (NYCT) issuing work shoes to different departments that were never issued shoes before. Yet the press harps on pensions and medical benefits. Maybe John and Jane Q. Public are getting wise to this game after all. With all the negatives being thrown around out there I'm still amazed how many are filing for these tests coming up. Maybe AG Coumo can get his hands on the books, he and the State Comptroller Di Napoli, and remove the lawyers and accountants who seem to have graduated for the Madoff school of business. Like they said back in Watergate days "follow the money". The economy IS in bad shape but the (MTA)s financial picture seems to be a scam on the taxpayers.I'm no Wall St guru but these $$$ problems didn't happen overnight either. CNN, CNBC, Time and the Wall St Journal have been warning about this since primary season began LAST year.

There is something I'm not understanding. Last year the (MTA) wanted to improve service, and now due to a budget shortfall its just the opposite. What I don't understand is how did no one see this coming from last year? Didn't the financial mangers of the (MTA) realize they were going to run into debt soon and try to get out of gradually, instead of this sudden action this year?

In my opinion, I think that the MTA should use all the buses til the 15 year mark or when the bus is too old to work

That's when they should retire em, except instead of scrapping the bus, they should sell them to another service...

Archived