Lake Shore Limited Outage 12 April-?? June

DigitalSciGuy

I recently tried booking a train ticket to go from Albany and Boston for myself and then for a friend later in the day and found that trains 448 and 449 were missing from my search results. I called up Amtrak and spoke with a service agent only to find that that track work being completed on the tracks between Albany and Boston (didn't specify where). According to the service agent, the track work will be suspending service on the line through April and all of May. ;)

I've updated the Wikipedia entry on the Lake Shore Limited with this information; feel free to update it as information comes in.

In any case, can anyone confirm this?

Firstly, are you trying to go to chicago?

Secondly, there alternate routes.

I believe there was a derailment months ago on csx tracks somewheres

affecting this route. They may be doing work on the repaired section. You should use the pennsylvanian and capitol limited to complete your trip from nyc.

From boston take the northeast regional to nyc. From albany take empire, maple leaf, adirondack etc to nyc.

I'll call tomorrow to get more info, but anyone else is free to chime in of course!

- A

Firstly, are you trying to go to chicago?

My friend and I are trying to get from Albany to Boston. Trains 448 and 449 are the segment of the Lake Shore Limited consist that travel that route.

Secondly, there alternate routes.

I'd rather not have to travel down to the City and back up to Boston if I can help it. Also, my friend has an all-day interview in Boston and can't afford to be on a train all day, as well. We'd also rather not settle for the interim bus service they're offering to replace trains 448 and 449 - I assume you'd be with us in saying the train is superior to the conditions of any bus service.

I believe there was a derailment months ago on csx tracks somewheres affecting this route. They may be doing work on the repaired section. You should use the pennsylvanian and capitol limited to complete your trip from nyc.

Do you have a source for this? I'd like to include this in the Wikipedia article but would rather not have it up there unreferenced.

Thanks again!

No i don't have reference, but i know that's what happened. I dunno where the derailment happened though. I just know it interrupted amtrak operations.

I've looked for workaround, and there are none unless you leave on the early acela to nyp.

Might be worth it to ride the bus heh.

- A

Amtrak had a recent derailment with the LSL Boston section I believe, but that should have nothing to do with it since it was somewhere close to Boston. I think it has to do with Spring tie replacement.

The best alternative for you would be an Acela to NYP and an Empire Service train if you definitely don't want to take a motor coach(which I don't blame you as I hate it.) If thats a bit out of your price range a slower regional is always available.

Mmmm, yeah looks like my friend's just going to end up taking the bus and I'll take my time getting to Boston. I've got enough Guest Rewards points to buy myself a business class Acela ticket...I've been waiting to do so for a while. Alternatively, I could take a bus to Worcester and take an MBCR train into South Station, but I'd rather take the excuse to ride Acela for the first time.

So have we reached consensus as to what exactly 'track work' entails? kaback9, do you think that spring tie replacement was the 'track work' the service agent was relaying to me over the phone?

Archived