Appearance

Dre Day

I was just looking at some pics on here and notice that some of the R160's had been tagged(windows) When these trains are tagged how quickly does the MTA replace the plastic coating on the window? What I've notice is some of the R68 windows are clear, free of scratches(meaning the entire train).

I dunno wat u mean by tag, but if u mean replace windows i think its only during SMS..

The usually do it during the train's next "check-up". However, if the train is completely covered in paint, they bring it to the shop as soon as possible.

I've seen some sets that have 5 cars hit & 5 cars totally clean.

- A

That's probably because those sets were mated to other unit when the taggers were roaming the train,

and now have been coupled to another, untagged set..

Instructor in schoolcar told me the 'scrachetti' is costing (MTA) a few million a year in repair costs annually..

For the most part the 143's and 160's are totally clean...u see a little more scratchitti on the 142's.....i think that because the cars are still fairly new, the (MTA) waists no time in replacing the protective coating on the windows//think its called pilar...or something like that

The protective layers are called mylar. They came on the R143 and R160 when delivered and have been placed on other cars in the fleet. So far I have not seen any protected windows that have been hit with etch.

Archived