Is it time to elimante most if not all Metrocard station agents to prevent doomesday?

Shortline Bus

Hi guys. A new topic. Recently when i visiting friends/relatives in Coney Island area, i boarded the Manhattan Bound (F) at Neptune Ave at 10pm on a Sunday Night headed for GCT and my Metro North ride home.

I saw the station agent 'asleep' at the station and this was only late evening.

In addition over the years, late at night when i still lived in Brooklyn, i saw those (MTA) Employees formely known as 'token booth clerks' also asleep late evenings/overnights.

So as someone who been on several other subway systems in the US, Canada and London, UK in which all of them (except for Phildelphia's SEPTA subway)have either scrapped or lowered the number of station agents for customers payment.

Is it time to end most of the station agent jobs in the New York City subway system?

I offer my takes later but wanted your guys takes? According to the MTA own data, if the station agents was reduced to only around 30 busy full time station systemwide, the MTA could save $500 Million a year from saved salaries.

Before some of you suugest keeping the subway agents remember this. Metro North, LIRR only staff at several stations and the rest you pay the conductor or machines.

What you guys think?

Bad idea. The system is too complicated to not have staffed stations.

- A

I disagree. If i am not mistaken about 2 years ago a rape/sexual assult occured at the 21st-Van Alst (G) line with a station agent on duty. There been countless crimes mainly at night even with station agents aka formely known as token booth agents at many NYC subway station both large and small. Hell about 20 years ago the Intervale Ave sta. was destroyed by fire.

Also a Terrorist could still perform his actions whether a station agent is at the station or not.

The station agent is only helpful is if they have access to a close circut TV system to view the station. Unless it's a security guard or NYPD Transit Police, Station Agents are almost usless at low usage stations.

I say stations like Beach 98th st on the Rock Park shuttle (s)to Franklin St on the (1)should either have no agents at all or be assigned with NYPD cops or Security late at night. Those Station Agents could be reassigned to other jobs like Bus Drivers, etc. Guys IMO this is the 21st Century.

I think stations like the Rock Park shuttle(S) should close late at night and replaced with a shuttle bus. And get rid of agents at low usage stations like Neptune Ave, etc.

I'm not talking about crime prevention, i'm talking about information & other assistance. If someone falls in the track & no agent to cut the 3rd rail, what then? What if the card machines stop working?

The system as designed needs people in every station when the station is open.

- A

I'm not talking about crime prevention, i'm talking about information & other assistance. If someone falls in the track & no agent to cut the 3rd rail, what then? What if the card machines stop working?

The system as designed needs people in every station when the station is open.

- A

If I'm not mistaken, there was a news article posted on the very website about a story of a man falling onto the tracks long before the train arrived. People ran to the station agent and he/she had to jump through a bunch of hoops and nothing was actually done. The man died.

I am sure you seen a small amount of station agents 'asleep on the job' to cursing customers that give them a bad name.

Never. This is how the system is designed. It's too complicated and potentially confusing etc to have passengers, some of whom may have no idea what they are doing, all alone in the system. Even PATH, with just 13 stations has basically a security guard at each station. There are more folks behind the scenes obviously, but at the island stations there's one person visible.

Even the AirTrain stations have people.

- A

Never. This is how the system is designed. It's too complicated and potentially confusing etc to have passengers, some of whom may have no idea what they are doing, all alone in the system. Even PATH, with just 13 stations has basically a security guard at each station. There are more folks behind the scenes obviously, but at the island stations there's one person visible.

Even the AirTrain stations have people.

- A

Metsfan let make clear i only seen a couple of station agents aka token booth clerks 'asleep' usually at overnight. Have you been on NY subway late Metsfan? The incident at Neptune Ave (station agent being asleep)is bothersome to me in these ecomnoic times.

Metsfan what other subway/metro in this country you been on besides, New York (MTA) (Path) and SEPTA? Chicago, DC, the Bay area, Toronto, London(been to all mentioned)etc. dont have station agents full time. In Dc, the agents are only customer service reps and dont handle money. Yet DC like Ny was struck by terror attacks.

Again Metsfan you probably a strong TWU backer. However do we need a n agent at Beach 98th at 2am on the Rock Park line? Maybe 1-2 customers a night on slow overnight.

It's not so much about staffing & payroll $, it's about having an actual (MTA) employee in the place just in case. The DC metro is designed differently, and does not run 24 hours a day.

Yes i have been in the subway all hours. The most relaxed station agent i saw was reading a paper at 3 am at forrest hills.

- A

It's not so much about staffing & payroll $, it's about having an actual (MTA) employee in the place just in case. The DC metro is designed differently, and does not run 24 hours a day.

Yes i have been in the subway all hours. The most relaxed station agent i saw was reading a paper at 3 am at forrest hills.

- A

I think at 95% or more of subway customers like myself would much rather the agents read a newspaper or listen to radio on duty at 3am lol to prevent bordum on themseleves. It useful at the ghost town stations like the (G)'s line 21st St-Van Alst or stations along the Rockaway Park (S)shuttle than sleeping on the job,

Metsfan, while you can make some good points in keeping station agents open, with this long term budget crisis, this issue needs to be raised. The issue of Either close the least used NYC subway stations during overnight/weekends or dont have any station agents at all should have been on the table during the so called doomesday budget .

Only the Lower Broadway ®line stations between City Hall-Lawerence St was on the list.

Regarding that, only the Rector St should be closed overnights and keep overnight and full 24/7 Bway Local service with either the (R) running all nite or the (N) and or (Q) between 12 Midnight-5am.

I dont understand while for instance why the overnight service Rockaway Park shuttle was not on the doomesday list? IMO shuttle bus should replace the Rock Park (S)between Broad Channel and Far Rockaway overnights only to save $$$..

Personally not meant to insult the agents but if it meant to save a bus or subway route, I rather the station agent be reassigned or layoff and instead give the $$$ to retain the route.

Feel free guys to reply.

FYI. Metsfan and others. As far as I know, the Chicago CTA subways/'els", Phildelphia-South ersey Patco line, Path and (MTA)NYC subways & buses are the only 24-hour subway and rapid transit lines in the US and probably the world.

what are those people in Rockaway Park supposed to do as an alternative though? I mean are the bus lines out there being cut? In my opinion even if those staff cuts happen I think it won't change doomsday. The only thing that will stop doomsday (im sorry i mean post pone it) is federal aid.

what are those people in Rockaway Park supposed to do as an alternative though? I mean are the bus lines out there being cut? In my opinion even if those staff cuts happen I think it won't change doomsday. The only thing that will stop doomsday (im sorry i mean post pone it) is federal aid.

Thankfully no major bus cuts in doomesday I scenrio. Under my plan the Rockaway Park shuttle late nights only would be replaced by a shuttle bus between Beach 116th St and Broad Channel. Also the Q35 would be extended to the Beach 67th St station late nights only.

The Rock Park (S) Daily 6am-1am and (A) Rock Park Rush hour service remains the same.

The problem with any cuts or closures, is that people rely on the system how it is now, when cuts come into place, it will disrupt the entire city & anyone involved with it, change commute patterns.

I mean i'm 15 miles from (NJT), and 8 miles from :septa:, and theres no way i could get home late at night using :septa:. If :septa: matched (NJT) to have a more seamless transfer of passengers vs wait at station wait in train at station, it would be a heck of a lot better for everyone.

Same with (MTA). The (NJT), PATH, and amtrak schedules take into account the subway and LIRR movement patterns, and who gets stuck with the dirty dishes when (MTA) decides to drastically reduce service? People who also ride (NJT), PATH and amtrak.

The wait at some stations is all ready bordering on irritating. If you're going to have a subway, make it run as well as possible, not simply say "oh look its improving" then pull the rug out from under everyone.

- A

The problem with any cuts or closures, is that people rely on the system how it is now, when cuts come into place, it will disrupt the entire city & anyone involved with it, change commute patterns.

I mean i'm 15 miles from (NJT), and 8 miles from :septa:, and theres no way i could get home late at night using :septa:. If :septa: matched (NJT) to have a more seamless transfer of passengers vs wait at station wait in train at station, it would be a heck of a lot better for everyone.

Same with (MTA). The (NJT), PATH, and amtrak schedules take into account the subway and LIRR movement patterns, and who gets stuck with the dirty dishes when (MTA) decides to drastically reduce service? People who also ride (NJT), PATH and amtrak.

The wait at some stations is all ready bordering on irritating. If you're going to have a subway, make it run as well as possible, not simply say "oh look its improving" then pull the rug out from under everyone.

- A

Although i live in upstate ny now(hudson valley area)I am not happy with cuts across the (MTA)network. In other words I love to keep the status quo on no cuts at all.

All i was saying if and when the doomesday cuts that instead of canning subway and bus routes that instead 'other' ideas like the low usage stations be looked at first to be cut.

I'm going to repeat what i've said before. The best way to ride out economic downturns is to invest, expand, increase service. If (MTA) does this, when recovery gets into gear, they will ride that wave all the way to the bank with $$$$$$$$$$.

If they do end up cutting service, reducing or eliminating some staff at stations, increase fares etc, they will be shooting themselves in the foot and only be asking for more problems. People will turn away from the subway, use it less often, and the fare increases will only have driven people away vs bring more $ in. This issue killed all most all of the railroads and other transportation companies over the last 45 years. They keep shooting themselves in the foot before the big race. :tdown:

- A

One more thing i'm going to add then take a break for a bit, is that (MTA) needs to be broken up into 3 different entities with their own budgets & so on.

One would be MNRR. One would be Long Island Transportation. The last one would be (NYCT). The (NYCT) would bring back the old (NYCT) emblem, use it on city rolling stock & busses.

(NYCT) would be bus, subway, and any other service operated currently by (MTA) that generally stays within the city limits.

RIOC is a good example of what the (NYCT) would be like, with NYC specific livery, RIOC has the red bus, and the red tram.

Long island transportation would have blue orange and white livery.

MNRR would have blue and orange livery, except the CONNDOT equipment which can be red.

Problem solved. Next?

- A

I agree with threadstarter. most of the station clerks are useless and a waste of money

Agree with you. NYC station agents should be like those in Chicago's CTA and the Washington DC Metro subway. Provide info/customer service and in rare cases call the police.

You dont need agents at all 400-plus stations 24/7.

Archived