Second Ave. subway set back - again

ghome

The 2nd ave subway (Q)(T) may be 4 years behind original schedule.

Second Ave. subway set back - again

BY Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, April 24th 2009, 9:57 PM

The first segment of the Second Ave. subway may not be finished until 2016 - four years later than the original schedule, the Daily News has learned.

The MTA, which has pushed back the completion date several times over the last decade, recently predicted additional construction and design delays totaling 18 months, an internal document drafted in February reveals.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's handling of some aspects of its major construction projects has frustrated the Federal Transit Administration, The News has learned.

After extending the Second Ave. subway schedule in March 2008, citing higher than anticipated construction costs, the MTA was required to give the feds a recovery plan with options to make up some lost time and fill budget gaps.

The feds have "provided the MTA with a time period that is more than reasonable" regional administrator Brigid Hynes-Cherin wrote to the MTA in November. "Unfortunately, the MTA appears to have been caught up in a never-ending process of evaluating and reevaluating each program. The time for evaluation has taken far too long, and the time for presenting a recovery plan is now long overdue."

In the letter, Hynes-Cherin also complained about a "lack of leadership" when the MTA "took an excessive amount of time" to fill top-level vacancies in the capital construction division, including the presidency.

The MTA still hasn't provided the recovery plan but is working closely with the federal government, and it should be completed in the coming weeks, FTA spokesman Dave Long told The News.

After an exhaustive review, Capital Construction President Michael Horodniceanu will release a report with new project schedules and management strategies next month, MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said. "One of the greatest threats to the budget and schedule for the Second Ave. subway, and all of the MTA's projects, remains ongoing uncertainty of funding for the vital upcoming capital program."

pdonohue@nydailynews.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/04/25/2009-04-25_second_ave_subway_set_back__again.html

This sounds like Microsoft when they pushed Vistas General Avaiablity Date which became Nov '06/Jan '07...

I doubt we we will ever see an SAS! The (MTA) is always doing this bs. By the time we hit 2015 who knos if they delay.. For that I would hold the (7) Extension, cuz SAS is much important then the (7) being extended. Think about the people on the Lex Line, who is suffering through overcrowding trains every single day! Rush hours the worst!... Plus they wanna cut the Dyre (5) train on weekends(Dunno about the shuttle (5)).. Which will be more of a problem for people on the WPR line and Lex line who uses that.. Lex will be in bad shape yr after yr, population in NY is increasing... May god help us =(

I am seriously moving to Westchester. This NYC bull___ is really making me sick. Too many people, really horrible Transit Authority who never sticks to thier word, and much more. I hate people so I'm in the worst situation being in NYC. I had enough of the delays from MTA I swear. They have the nerve to govern some of thier buses to 25MPH, how is a driver supposed to keep up with thier schedule?

It's not so much that, but every time it's proposed the city is in a state to enact it a few years before some major fiscal crisis. If the (MTA) had tried to balance its budget or used its surplus money in other ways back in 2004 (like funding for SAS), then this project wouldn't be screwed.

It's not so much that, but every time it's proposed the city is in a state to enact it a few years before some major fiscal crisis. If the (MTA) had tried to balance its budget or used its surplus money in other ways back in 2004 (like funding for SAS), then this project wouldn't be screwed.

Exactly.

When the project was first put onto paper, it was just months before the 1929 Market Crash

The 70s recession killed the SAS then, when it was finally under construction

Now...

They should have been done by now or long time ago. The same with the SAS. MTA poorly mismanagement agency.

It amazes me that anyone would believe anything the (MTA) says. Mismanagement and/or criminal incompetence runs through this so-called public benefit authority and it's been obvious for years. That's my opinion anyway.

I think I may have said this before on this board. Anyway, after researching this, I have come to a theoretical conclusion. The Second Avenue Line is an economic curse.

Let's examine it.

They tried to build it in the late 20's/ early 30's.

Great Depression.

The plan came back to life in the 1970s.

New York City fiscal crisis.

The plan was almost on track in 2008.

Economic Implosion.

Coincidence or omen?

I think I may have said this before on this board. Anyway, after researching this, I have come to a theoretical conclusion. The Second Avenue Line is an economic curse.

Let's examine it.

They tried to build it in the late 20's/ early 30's.

Great Depression.

The plan came back to life in the 1970s.

New York City fiscal crisis.

The plan was almost on track in 2008.

Economic Implosion.

Coincidence or omen?

Well, I believe it is more of a 'coinky-dink'. The Second Avenue Subway just happened to be caught with these economic hardships.

Archived