MTA ordering 90 NovaBUS LFSA buses

nycbusfan

That thing looks hot.

For our case, we would expect a white bus with a blue stripe. Simple MTA livery. It would be cool to wrap the entire bus with ads. If it worked on the train, why not the bus? Besides, everybody could see the ad.

Unless it's for SBS, then it might be wrapped like the D60HFs that are used right now are.

Yes, they look sleek and have some 21st century look.

I think you've got Swine Flu, ;).

You just brought the Swine Flu in your body, :P.

I know it haven't got the best design but it should work perfectly with +SBS+, :)!

Please man, the swine flu is no joking matter.

If I see this subject appearing as a joking matter like that in anybody's posts, I will report it. This is not cool.

Okay, back on topic.

I'm fine with the D60HF's running on the SBS, they surely was picking up speed fast, even today with the hot weather I seen 5761 just tearing Pelham Parkway up. They aren't built for this but they surely are holding up well to the job. I would pick the D60HF over the LFS-A anyday, though now I ain't going to lie, I wish they refitted the SBS Artics with S60 engines as seen in BeeLine Neoplans and the older MCIs in the MTA. This is because these D60HF's aren't too good in the summer time and plus the uphills where they need power at, they don't got much power with the AC on. Those Neoplans at BeeLine still flying like a bat out of hell.

I'm fine with the D60HF's running on the SBS, they surely was picking up speed fast, even today with the hot weather I seen 5761 just tearing Pelham Parkway up. They aren't built for this but they surely are holding up well to the job. I would pick the D60HF over the LFS-A anyday, though now I ain't going to lie, I wish they refitted the SBS Artics with S60 engines as seen in BeeLine Neoplans and the older MCIs in the MTA. This is because these D60HF's aren't too good in the summer time and plus the uphills where they need power at, they don't got much power with the AC on. Those Neoplans at BeeLine still flying like a bat out of hell.

Well there's NO need to repower the D60HF to DD60,the DD50 is fine and it anyways uses Allison B-500R WTEC transmission.

Sorry to be a bus n00b, but what is Select Bus Service? What makes it different than any other (MTA) local/limited bus route?

It's a bootleg bus rapid transit route. The MTA, after understanding the fact that it will be a slower route compared to BRT routes around the world, decided to call it SBS, as opposed to bus rapid transit.

I personally diagree with the decision to use the LFSAs on SBS. I went through the specs for the Citaro, the NABI BRT, and the Nova LFSA, and I found that the LFSA has 16 fewer seats than the BRT, which is a major problem considering how packed the Bx12 SBS getes on a regular basis. At the same time, the Citaro has eight fewer seats in the three-door model than the LFSA, but it has a total combined seating and standee capacity of 158 people. Plus it has an additional 24 horsepower (354 vs 330) and should thus be able to handle the hills, in particular the incline from Fordham Plaza to the Grand Concourse, far better than the LFSA will. Finally, the LFSA is the ugliest out of all three models. Thus, I think we should get NABIS for SBS lines and Citaros for hilly high-capacity lines.

I personally diagree with the decision to use the LFSAs on SBS. I went through the specs for the Citaro, the NABI BRT, and the Nova LFSA, and I found that the LFSA has 16 fewer seats than the BRT, which is a major problem considering how packed the Bx12 SBS getes on a regular basis. At the same time, the Citaro has eight fewer seats in the three-door model than the LFSA, but it has a total combined seating and standee capacity of 158 people. Plus it has an additional 24 horsepower (354 vs 330) and should thus be able to handle the hills, in particular the incline from Fordham Plaza to the Grand Concourse, far better than the LFSA will. Finally, the LFSA is the ugliest out of all three models. Thus, I think we should get NABIS for SBS lines and Citaros for hilly high-capacity lines.

The thing is, it is the LFSAs that the MTA is currently ordering (or will be ordering), not Citaros or NABIs.

Well there's NO need to repower the D60HF to DD60,the DD50 is fine and it anyways uses Allison B-500R WTEC transmission.
TTMG said they got that B400R, and since when B500Rs got only 5 gears? Never.
These buses are needed as a partial replacement also for older artics which are now 12 years old.
But they're in good condition, they sure are better than the ones up here in the Bronx mostly.

the 1990-2000 and 2002-2004 D60HF have B500R.

the 1996-1998 D60HF have B400R.

Alright I ain't going to waste my time arguing over transmissions I know what the Artics have already.. Back on topic.

What MTA should do is send them LFSA to Brooklyn, why does the Bronx have Artics but Brooklyn don't?!

• 2 weeks later...

The Citaro model that was paraded around last year was a european bus, straight off the streets of Germany, brought to the US. The spec sheet on that bus is not the same as the bus that Daimler will bring to market in North America. The citaro will be significantly re-engineered to meet north american standards.

Archived