New strain of Flu causing concern, panic

metsfan

This thing is so overblown by the media it isn't funny at all. Here we have people who think they will definitely 110% get it and die horrible deaths. These are the same people that swallow everything the media feeds them. I feel like I'm the only person that realizes that the smart thing to do is to treat this like just another "flu". If you actually PROTECT yourself, you will be fine. Being in the same room with someone else who has it is not going to kill you. People are so paranoid it's ridiculous.

Here the offical meaning.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Swine flu 2009 swine flu outbreak. Information may change rapidly as the event progresses. Current as of April 26, 2009

H1N1 strain

Possible Pandemic

Swine Flu.

Pigs can harbor influenza viruses adapted to humans and others that are adapted to birds, allowing the viruses to exchange genes and create a pandemic strain.Swine influenza (also swine flu) refers to influenza caused by any strain of the influenza virus endemic in pigs (swine). Strains endemic in swine are called swine influenza virus (SIV).

Swine flu is common in swine and rare in humans. People who work with swine, especially people with intense exposures, are at risk of catching swine influenza if the swine carry a strain able to infect humans. However, these strains rarely are able to pass from human to human. Rarely, SIV mutates into a form able to pass easily from human to human. The strain responsible for the 2009 swine flu outbreak is believed to have undergone such a mutation.[1]

In humans, the symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general, namely chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness and general discomfort. The strain responsible for the 2009 swine flu outbreak in most cases causes only mild symptoms and the infected person recovers fully in a few days.

Of the three genera of human flu, two are endemic also in swine: Influenzavirus A (common) and Influenzavirus C (rare).[2] Influenzavirus B has not been reported in swine. Within Influenzavirus A and Influenzavirus C, the strains endemic to swine and humans are largely distinct.

Contents [hide]

1 Background

2 Classification

2.1 Influenza A

2.2 Interaction with H5N1

3 Signs and symptoms

4 Pathophysiology

4.1 Swine flu in humans

5 Prevention

Prevention of spread in humans

6 Treatment

6.1 Preparedness

7 Epidemiology

7.1 Outbreaks in swine

Background

Military hospital during Spanish flu pandemic. The swine flu is a descendant of the infamous "Spanish flu" that caused a devastating pandemic in humans in 1918-1919.[3] In less than a year, that pandemic killed more than 500,000 Americans and some 20 million people worldwide - the greatest number ever killed in so short a period by any natural or man-made catastrophe. It also killed and sickened large numbers of hogs. Within a decade, the disease stopped circulating among humans, but it has infected swine ever since. Although hogs had initially caught the virus from humans, it has undergone slight changes over the years, emerging occasionally to infect individuals who work closely with pigs. However, there have only been 12 cases in the U.S. since 2005 in which humans caught swine flu after being in contact with pigs and there is currently no requirement that pigs be vaccinated against swine flu. [4]

The flu virus is perhaps the trickiest known to medical science; it constantly changes form to elude the protective antibodies that the body has developed in response to previous exposures to influenza or to influenza vaccines. Every two or three years the virus undergoes minor changes. Then, at intervals of roughly a decade, after the bulk of the world's population has developed some level of resistance to these minor changes, it undergoes a major shift that enables it to tear off on yet another pandemic sweep around the world, infecting hundreds of millions of people who suddenly find their antibody defenses outflanked.[5] Even during the Spanish flu pandemic, the initial wave of the disease was relatively mild and the second wave was highly lethal.[3]

In 1957, an Asian flu pandemic infected some 45 million Americans and killed 70,000. Eleven years later, lasting from 1968 to 1969, the Hong Kong pandemic afflicted 50 million Americans and caused 33,000 deaths, costing approximately $3.9 billion. In 1976, about 500 soldiers became infected with swine flu over a period of a few weeks. However, by the end of the month investigators found that the virus had "mysteriously disappeared" and there were no more signs of swine flu anywhere on the post. [3] There were isolated cases around the U.S. but those cases were supposedly to individuals who caught the virus from pigs.

Medical researchers worldwide remain vigilant knowing that the swine flu virus might again mutate into something as deadly as the Spanish flu. They are carefully watching the latest 2009 outbreak of swine flu and making contingency plans for a possible global pandemic.

Classification

SIV strains isolated to date have been classified either as Influenzavirus C or one of the various subtypes of the genus Influenzavirus A.[6]

Interaction with H5N1

Avian influenza virus H3N2 is endemic in pigs in China and has been detected in pigs in Vietnam, increasing fears of the emergence of new variant strains.[11] Health experts[who?] say pigs can carry human influenza viruses, which can combine (i.e. exchange homologous genome sub-units by genetic reassortment) with H5N1, passing genes and mutating into a form which can pass easily among humans.[12] H3N2 evolved from H2N2 by antigenic shift.[13] In August 2004, researchers in China found H5N1 in pigs.[14]

Signs and symptoms

Main symptoms of swine flu in humans.[17]According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in humans the symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general. Symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. The 2009 outbreak has shown an increased percentage of patients reporting diarrhea and vomiting.[18]

Because these symptoms are not specific to swine flu, a differential diagnosis of probable swine flu requires not only symptoms but also a high likelihood of swine flu due to the person's recent history. For example, during the 2009 swine flu outbreak in the United States, CDC advised physicians to "consider swine influenza infection in the differential diagnosis of patients with acute febrile respiratory illness who have either been in contact with persons with confirmed swine flu, or who were in one of the five U.S. states that have reported swine flu cases or in Mexico during the 7 days preceding their illness onset."[19] A diagnosis of confirmed swine flu requires laboratory testing of a respiratory sample (a simple nose and throat swab).[19]

Swine flu in humans

People who work with poultry and swine, especially people with intense exposures, are at increased risk of zoonotic infection with influenza virus endemic in these animals, and constitute a population of human hosts in which zoonosis and reassortment can co-occur.[21]

The CDC reports that the symptoms and transmission of the swine flu from human to human is much like that of seasonal flu. Common symptoms include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing, while runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea have also been reported.[24] It is believed to be spread between humans through coughing or sneezing of infected people and touching something with the virus on it and then touching their own nose or mouth.[25] Swine flu cannot be spread by pork products, since the virus is not transmitted through food.[25] The swine flu in humans is most contagious during the first five days of the illness although some people, most commonly children, can remain contagious for up to ten days. Diagnosis can be made by sending a specimen, collected during the first five days, to the CDC for analysis.[26]

The swine flu is susceptible to four drugs licensed in the United States, amantadine, rimantadine, oseltamivir and zanamivir; however, for the 2009 outbreak it is recommended it be treated under medical advice only with oseltamivir and zanamivir to avoid drug resistance.[27] The vaccine for the human seasonal H1N1 flu does not protect against the swine H1N1 flu, even if the virus strains are the same specific variety, as they are antigenically very different.[28]

Prevention

Prevention of swine influenza has three components: prevention in swine, prevention of transmission to humans, and prevention of its spread among humans.

Prevention in swine

Swine influenza has become a greater problem in recent decades as the evolution of the virus has resulted in inconsistent responses to traditional vaccines. Standard commercial swine flu vaccines are effective in controlling the infection when the virus strains match enough to have significant cross-protection, and custom (autogenous) vaccines made from the specific viruses isolated are created and used in the more difficult cases.[29][30]

Outbreaks in humans

Swine flu has been reported numerous times as a zoonosis in humans, usually with limited distribution, rarely with a widespread distribution. The 1918 flu pandemic in humans was associated with H1N1,[39] thus may reflect a zoonosis either from swine to humans or from humans to swine. Evidence available from that time is not sufficient to resolve this question. The "Spanish" influenza pandemic of 1918–19 infected one third of the world's population (or around 500 million persons at that time) and caused around 50 million deaths.[39]

Overall, about 500 cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), resulting in death from severe pulmonary complications for 25 people, which, according to Dr. P. Haber, were probably caused by an immunopathological reaction to the 1976 vaccine. Other influenza vaccines have not been linked to GBS, though caution is advised for certain individuals, particularly those with a history of GBS.[42][43]

2009 swine flu outbreak

Confirmed cases followed by death

Confirmed cases

Unconfirmed or suspected cases

See also:

The origins of this new strain remain unknown. One theory is that Asian and European strains traveled to Mexico in migratory birds or in people, then combined with North American strains in Mexican pig factory farms before jumping over to farm workers.[45]

The earliest known human case was at a Mexican pig farm whose nearby neighbors had been complaining about the manure smell and flies.[46] Edgar Hernandez, 4, was thought to be suffering from ordinary influenza but laboratory testing revealed he had contracted swine flu. The boy went on to make a full recovery.[47]

The Mexican health agency acknowledged that the original disease vector of the virus may have been flies multiplying in manure lagoons of pig farms near Perote, Veracruz, owned by Granjas Carroll,[48] a subsidiary of Smithfield Foods.[49]

Dr. Anne Schuchat, interim Deputy Director for CDC Science and Public Health, said that the American cases were found to be made up of genetic elements from four different flu viruses – North American swine influenza, North American avian influenza, human influenza, and swine influenza virus typically found in Asia and Europe – "an unusually mongrelised mix of genetic sequences."[50] Pigs have been shown to act as a potential "mixing vessel" in which reassortment can occur between flu viruses of several species.[51][52] This new strain appears to be a result of reassortment of human influenza and swine influenza viruses, presumably due to superinfection in an individual human. Influenza viruses readily undergo reassortment due to antigenic shift because their genome is split between eight pieces of RNA (see Orthomyxoviridae).

The current strain of swine flu can adapt to humans and spread more efficiently than previously known swine H1N1 strains. Moreover, co-infection of H1N1 swine flu and Oseltamivir resistant H1N1 season flu can lead to acquisition of H274Y by the swine flu via recombination or reassortment. Swine H1N1 with human H1 and N1 have been reported.

The 1918 pandemic strain has polymorphism from swine and human H1N1 in all eight pieces of RNA gene segments. Similar swapping of gene segments in humans co-infected with seasonal human influenza and swine H1N1 can lead to rapid evolution.

Guys hope you now understand it and can decide for yourseleves.

This has nothing to do with the media. There are 6 people in my house, and 2 of them really cant get sick, if they did stuff would get very bad for them and us.

I'm being cautious because of them, i do not want to spread it to them, or force them to care for me or whatnot.

This is different from thinking the world is ending and everyone will catch it. Chances are i've all ready had it, as i've had some weird flu like illness 2 weeks ago. I don't remember a flu or cold ever like that one, it was short and intense.

In any case, i have too much at risk to ignore clear warnings from both CDC and WHO. I'm avoiding areas with reported cases.

- A

This thing is so overblown by the media it isn't funny at all. Here we have people who think they will definitely 110% get it and die horrible deaths. These are the same people that swallow everything the media feeds them. I feel like I'm the only person that realizes that the smart thing to do is to treat this like just another "flu". If you actually PROTECT yourself, you will be fine. Being in the same room with someone else who has it is not going to kill you. People are so paranoid it's ridiculous.

A lot of material gets blown, by the media, to a certain scale that it has a negative impact on the public. I believe that the primary reason why people in Mexico died because of the flu is because they do not have access to the medical care that we provide here in the States. The reason why the 23 month old child died in Texas from the flu is due to the fact that the child's immune system was weak. AFAIK, the very young, the old and the immuno-compromised are more likely to die from such diseases. It is due to the fact that their immune systems are not as active as a healthy adult's.

Even though cases are rising everywhere, even in our city, we should all remain calm about it. Wash your hands more often, wear a mask if you think you have the flu, consult a physician. I feel that paranoia is much more contagious than the actual disease. The second the media reports of how many new cases, the public goes frantic over it.

If governments and health systems act on certain measures to prevent the spread of the disease, the disease should disappear overtime.

Corretion young man. The WHO(world health Organzation) and CDC (US Center of Diease Control)states that this threat level is the 2nd highest scale. Level 6 is the highest. Their statement states that the chance of this crisis becoming a "pandemic' is "HIGH" not Imminent or a gurantee.

***Flu Pandemic Level has been risen to Phase-5: Flu Pandemic is Imminent and Everyone Must Prepare for the Worst!***

So far 4 Schools in New York City has been closed: 2 in Queens Co. (Queens), 2 in Kings Co. (Brooklyn).

H1N1 Flu Virus is located in:

-Mexico - 99.

-United States - 93.

-Canada - 16.

-New Zealand - 14.

-United Kingdom - 05.

-France -01.

-Spain - 10.

-Austria - 01.

-Germany - 03.

-Israel - 02.

-Ireland - 04.

-Costa Rica - 01.

-Peru - 01.

H1N1 Flu Virus in US States:

-New York - 51.

-California - 13.

-Texas - 16.

-Nevada - 01.

-Arizona - 01.

-Kansas -02.

-Michigan - 01.

-Indiana - 01.

-Ohio - 01.

-Maine - 03.

-Massachusetts - 02.

New York Closed Schools due to H1N1 Flu Virus:

-St. Francis Preparatory School - Queens.

-St. Brigid School - Brooklyn.

-PS 177 - Queens.

-Good Shephard School - Brooklyn.

-Bishop Kearney High School - Brooklyn.

Imminent Counties that have H1N1 Flu Virus:

-New York Co. (Bronx, New York, Queens and Kings.).

Possibly counties that also have H1N1 Flu Virus:

-Suffolk Co.

-Cortlandt Co.

-Orange Co.

I still plan to take the "Cross that bridge as I come to it" approach. I mean so far there's only been one death (which in my case is 1 too many). But all other cases have been mild. To be honest the people that SHOULD watch out for this are those who's general hygiene is terrible, the elderly and the very young children. Of course there's the HIV/AIDS group as well. Pretty much anyone who might not have a healthy immune system. This is being hyped up into a bigger deal than it really is. It's not like this is the black plague.

There's a scarier problem to these cases. The 1918 flu pandemic killed millions. We all know that. What some people don't realize is that several years later many survivors developed Parkinson's disease type symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encephalitis_lethargica

Not trying to scare anyone, just saying that this is no ordinary bug that is going around, and should be taken very seriously.

- A

I still plan to take the "Cross that bridge as I come to it" approach. I mean so far there's only been one death (which in my case is 1 too many). But all other cases have been mild. To be honest the people that SHOULD watch out for this are those who's general hygiene is terrible, the elderly and the very young children. Of course there's the HIV/AIDS group as well. Pretty much anyone who might not have a healthy immune system. This is being hyped up into a bigger deal than it really is. It's not like this is the black plague.

Agree 100% on above statement. Yes you dont take this crisis lightly but at same time you go your 'normal' life working or going to school ith EXTREME CAUTION.:confused:

Exactly, the very young, the old, the immuno-compromised are the ones that are highly susceptible to infection. I, would take certain precautions to improve my hygiene in order to prevent my likelihood of contracting it.

What strikes me though is this: According to my epidemiology teacher, the victims are Mexicans. The 23 month old child was a Mexican child seeking care in America. Meanwhile, the American patients were treated in a matter of days.

Here is what I got about H3N2 Virus on WikiPedia:

Influenza A virus subtype H3N2: (also H3N2) is a subtype of viruses that cause influenza (flu). H3N2 viruses can infect birds and mammals. In birds, humans, and pigs, the virus has mutated into many strains. H3N2 is increasingly abundant in seasonal influenza, which kills an estimated 36,000 people in the United States each year.

Yeah but it doesn't say anything about its pathogenicity or its virulence. To me, I don't really care what the hell it infects other than humans, I care about the "badness" of this pathogen.

Follow this link so it could describe more without taking so many space:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H3N2

Enjoy, ;)!

I went to it hours before you even clicked on it. That's how I even brought this up in the first place. It gives hints of the morbidity, but not exactly the virulence. There is almost no mention on its pathogenicity.

Archived