Hudson Line track question

Shortline Bus

I always wondered why has not the (MTA) ever bothered to extend 'electric' track service on the Hudson Line to Peekskill at least? I know residents in Dutchess and Putnam Counties rejected plans to electric the MNRR tracks.

Peekskill is important station as it's located near the Bear Mountain Bridge and the West Point US Army acemedy University.

The Mid Hudson River area especially of Ducthess and Orange Counties is the state fastest growing area outside of Queens. So just curious the reasons. I know we are in a fiscal crisis at moment but i just curious. Peekskill is the 3rd busiest station north of Croton Harmon after Beacon and Poughkeepsie.

If electric service occured you can extend and provide more service to Peekskill. Just wondering? Thanks

That is what I also heard. Since, there is no catenery wires around that area so third rail is the best option.

I am not sure what you are talking about. They are not going to extend 3rd rail from nyc to buffalo. It will be catenary, only if MNRR runs to NYP will there be 3rd rail involved at all, and that would only extend as far as poughkeepsie, where MNRR service stops.

- A

...why would they extend a branch that uses third rail with catenary?

What? I'm saying that if MNRR starts running hudson line trains out of NYP they will need 3rd rail into the tunnel, then turn on the diesel. I wouldn't want 3rd rail in that tunnel though. Catenary is much safer in tunnels.

- A

The hudson line is part of the empire corridor from the interlocking at spuyten duyvil to poughkeepsie. If the empire corridor gets catenary (which would make the most sense) the hudson line in that stretch would get it too............

Also, 3rd rail between NYP and the tunnel would allow the dual mode diesels to access NYP. Since there is all ready 3rd rail (top contact) all over there, you'd just need say 2 tracks into NYP with bottom contact 3rd rail. Simple.

- A

Archived