Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

if (5) get extended in brooklyn as of june 2009.

that would mean (4) last stop in weekday in brooklyn

( middays) is Atlantic Avenue ?

No... The (4) can keep heading to Utica, otherwise it would be a delay issue over at Nevins to Atlantic

The main reason for the (5) heading down Nostrands during Middays is to help the (2) out.. Although More delays on the Rodgers Street Juction.. But i wouldnt care much about the (4) being less, seeing that the (5) is worst in schedule then the (4) in Manhattan and Brooklyn. But Better in the Bronx then the (2) during RH.

BTW i checked NY1.com and I see nothing on this topic...

Also i think this is the worst Idea as well, seeing that the (MTA) is losing money but wants extension?? I would keep the (5) down at Bowling Green on off peak hrs.. Instead of doing this crap

Again Mark, it's not exactly helping out. In fact, this will only aggravate the Rogers Ave Junction, IINM. 5 trains terminating at Flatbush all day will mean, less capacity because of the switches involved at said junction. 4 trains cannot run as frequent because of this.

IMO, this is like a cover-up. Instead of just slashing the number of 4 trains being run, they simply extend the 5 to make it seem that nothing is lost. However, the Jerome riders will feel it.

Again Mark, it's not exactly helping out. In fact, this will only aggravate the Rogers Ave Junction, IINM. 5 trains terminating at Flatbush all day will mean, less capacity because of the switches involved at said junction. 4 trains cannot run as frequent because of this.

IMO, this is like a cover-up. Instead of just slashing the number of 4 trains being run, they simply extend the 5 to make it seem that nothing is lost. However, the Jerome riders will feel it.

I can see why that (5) To Brooklyn test was ineffect a month ago. For this crap. I understand that its a problem for the (4) but the (5) is doing bad its self, with less trains running more delays for us WPR riders.. It would be better to still have addional (5) trains running.. Its like every rush hr there is like 4 or 5 (4) trains coming into a station then 1 or 2 (5) and same thing. What The T/A should do is have limited (5) to Brooklyn and split for bowling green. Or have em to utica i guess..

I can see where you guys are coming from, but I think that this is a good idea because the number of (4) trains during the midday will be cut anyway, so why not extend the (5)? Also, this could be so that (2)'s and (5)'s could swap trains at Flatbush Ave all day.

I can see where you guys are coming from, but I think that this is a good idea because the number of (4) trains during the midday will be cut anyway, so why not extend the (5)? Also, this could be so that (2)'s and (5)'s could swap trains at Flatbush Ave all day.

Wait hold it!! The (4) is getting cut?? For Middays?? wtf? If not dont say it, cuz otherwise this (5) going to blyn middays will be in terroable shape. This sounds more like the 80s now..

IDK why everybody is saying that this is a bad idea. This is a great idea! It worked when they had the (5) running to Brooklyn before. It provides a one seat ride on the Lexington Avenue line going to Flatbush.

I'm saying it's a bad idea because they're cutting (4) train service, which has rush-hour type headways during the entire day. Now it's going to have weekend-type headways during middays, and that's a loss for Jerome Av. I welcome the 1-seat ride to Lex from Nostrand Av, but not at the loss of (4) train service. Let's just see how many people use it, because often times during rush hour, I see people transferring from the (2) to the (4) at Franklin rather than waiting for the (5). Let's see if that happens now during the middays.

800px5trainr142.jpg

An old (5) photo taking by me in 2007 at Gun Hill Rd.

Brooklyn No. <5> riders, prepare for smoother commute.

The MTA is looking to ferry No. <5> trains into Brooklyn beyond the rush hour, when they currently terminate at the Bowling Green station. The proposal, which will be considered by the MTA board next week, would extend No. (5) service to the Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College stop between 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The change would begin in June if passed.

But the shift comes at the expense of No. (4) riders. The agency would run four fewer No.(4) trains along the line during the time period, causing some additional crowding on the line, according to MTA documents.

“It’s a tradeoff,” said William Henderson, executive director of the Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee to the MTA.

The expanded service would not cost additional cash, according to the proposal. It would also better balance the schedules between the No. (4), <5>, (2) and (3) trains, officials said.

Source: AM New York

April 22, 2009

The plan is to extend the (5) to Flatbush during Middays running every 8 to 10 Minutes. The (4) service will be reduced from every 4/5 Minutes to every 8 minutes.

Would this mean that there would be 2 (4) and 1 (5) at a time like (4)(4)(5)(4)(4)(5) or (4)(5)(4)(5)?

Fewer (4) trains, as if there are enough now?

Or you could keep it as it is now, so people don't get hopelessly lost. *rolls eyes*. :tdown:

I am beginning to think that (MTA) really is trying to run itself into the ground.

- A

Trains have been terminating at bowling green since how long?

Now they want the (5) to deliver lost tourists into brooklyn. Awesome plan! :mad:

If this goes through, which i hope it won't, there would be absolutely no more use of the south ferry loop tracks aside from off peak storage and unplanned reroutes.

- A

if (5) line going to help the (2) run into brooklyn

in weekdays ( midday) starting june.

you may see some of the (5) might run on the (1) , (2) ( 7avenue line)

line weekdays ( middays) so probably then can do track work

on lexington avenue line (4) , (6) line.

and you may see (4) line going to run local on lexington avenue line

starting june of 2009 ? ( weekdays 10a.m. - 3 p.m.?)

and if that happen doing track work on lex avenue line)

(5) will run 7 avenue line. (6) will be extended to bowling green in weekdays midday to help the congestion of (4) during weekdays.

if (5) line going to help the (2) run into brooklyn

in weekdays ( midday) starting june.

you may see some of the (5) might run on the (1) , (2) ( 7avenue line)

line weekdays ( middays) so probably then can do track work

on lexington avenue line (4) , (6) line.

and you may see (4) line going to run local on lexington avenue line

starting june of 2009 ? ( weekdays 10a.m. - 3 p.m.?)

and if that happen doing track work on lex avenue line)

(5) will run 7AVENUE LINE. (6) WILL BE EXTENDED TO

BOWLING GREEN IN WEEKDAYS MIDDAY TO HELP THE CONGESTION

OF (4) DURING WEEKDAYS)

What are you talking about????

Fewer (4) trains, as if there are enough now?

Or you could keep it as it is now, so people don't get hopelessly lost. *rolls eyes*. :tdown:

I am beginning to think that (MTA) really is trying to run itself into the ground.

- A

Disagree with Metsfan on this one. The (4) and (5) are basically the same line between East 149th-GC and points south. Metsfan I am not sure you been on the (4) weekdays lunch time between Atlantic and Broooklyn Bridge-City Hall but its Rush Hour SRO most of the time. On occasion i missed trains when trying to board at Court St for Uptown (4) due to overcrowding. Lex line sations between Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall & Atlantic needed help badly during 10am-3pm weekdays. Until and if the SAS is bulit, the Lex needs CBTC asap.

The only 'minor losers' are (4)riders between Woodlawn and 149th-GC who instead of waiting every 4-5 minutes Middays for train might now wait up to every 8-10 minutes.

However they have the (D) as an alternative though. I support the move of extending the (5) to Brooklyn weekdays from 530am-9pm. Yet the (MTA) make people shake their heads sometimes with their routing plans. If the rumors are true, the MTA in a doomesday II scenrio wants to make the weekend (5) run only ttle as shuttle between Dyre and East 180th.

FYI off topic. I would also change the 238th-Neired Ave (5) branch to 'peak direction' only similar to the (A) Rockaway Park line. I would only run the 238th (5) between Bowling Green and 238th St, so Downtown Manhattan riders can have a chance at seat.

Dyre Ave-Brooklyn (5) would remain the same weekdays until 9pm.