(5) to Brooklyn

TheMan

Trains have been terminating at bowling green since how long?

Now they want the (5) to deliver lost tourists into brooklyn. Awesome plan! :mad:

If this goes through, which i hope it won't, there would be absolutely no more use of the south ferry loop tracks aside from off peak storage and unplanned reroutes.

- A

lmao @ lost tourists in Brooklyn! :cool:

What are you talking about????

Frankly, I have NO idea!

Well, yeah, presumably the only loss is along Jerome. And I agree that there are cases where the 4 is overserved. A memorable instance is a train would pull up at Bedford Park at 3 something PM. It leaves. Not even 2 minutes passed, another one would pull up.

I think this plan would fail dramatically. If anything, it's the (4) that should be getting more service.

________

The (4) already runs down to Brooklyn College along with the (2) and the (3) which defeats the purpose of doing that. If they wanted "extra-trains" then bring some R142s onto the (4) during rush hours. Plus, the (4) gets really crowded. It sees a flood of users mainly because it's right next to a chain of schools around that area.

The Bronx portion of the (5) is served jointly with the Wakefield-bound (2) trains. The only section that the (5) is independently operated is the Dyre avenue stub. They should improve service there and keep the way it is and maybe take out 1 or 2 (5) trains and make them a (4) during the rush-hour.

I think this plan would fail dramatically. If anything, it's the (4) that should be getting more service.

________

The (4) already runs down to Brooklyn College along with the (2) and the (3) which defeats the purpose of doing that. If they wanted "extra-trains" then bring some R142s onto the (4) during rush hours. Plus, the (4) gets really crowded. It sees a flood of users mainly because it's right next to a chain of schools around that area.

The Bronx portion of the (5) is served jointly with the Wakefield-bound (2) trains. The only section that the (5) is independently operated is the Dyre avenue stub. They should improve service there and keep the way it is and maybe take out 1 or 2 (5) trains and make them a (4) during the rush-hour.

While I agree with you that the Bronx will lose out in this because there is a great demand for travel to/from the area, usually students (Bronx Science, Lehman COllege, Walton, Clinton, American Studies), this operation is better in terms of operation, IMO. IINM, 2 trains and 5 trains switch at Flatbush.

What are you talking about????

I think hes trying to say that if there was a General Order during the Midday Service, would this mean the (5) Will run on the (2) from 149th Mott Ave to Nevins Street lol.

If thats the case, all I can say is Yes! Otherwise the (5) would cause delays on the White Plains rd line if its up here in the bronx to brooklyn or on the Eastern Pkways Line from Brooklyn to Bronx...

For the (6)<6> To bowling Green erm.. That will never happen UNLESS there is some track work over the City Hall Loop Tracks or something lol

________

The (4) does NOT go to brooklyn college nor the (3).. ((4) to Utica and (3) to New Lots), you would have to connect with the (2) anywhere from Borough Hall to Franklin for that.. What I would do is redo the Rogers Street Junction instead of having the Nostrand (5) train cross on the Local to the Express same heading SB.. Which also delays the (3) Local.

@Hudson River The <5> does go to 238th WPR during peak direction. AM to Manhattan and PM to 238th, with some express service from E180th to Gun Hill. Some Does end at Gun Hill tho.. It goes there mainly to head to the 239th Yd for storage.. And allow lex customers to access the WPR Line with out transfering to the (2) same going down..

I'm saying it's a bad idea because they're cutting (4) train service, which has rush-hour type headways during the entire day. Now it's going to have weekend-type headways during middays, and that's a loss for Jerome Av. I welcome the 1-seat ride to Lex from Nostrand Av, but not at the loss of (4) train service. Let's just see how many people use it, because often times during rush hour, I see people transferring from the (2) to the (4) at Franklin rather than waiting for the (5). Let's see if that happens now during the middays.

Because during the pm rush, for instance , one can change at Franklin Ave from the (2) to a (4) or a (5) from Utica Ave or New Lots and be ahead of the (5) train that follows that (2) from Flatbush. If you're rushing to Manhattan or heading up Jerome Ave it's the smart thing to do.

Trains have been terminating at bowling green since how long?

Now they want the (5) to deliver lost tourists into brooklyn. Awesome plan! :mad:

If this goes through, which i hope it won't, there would be absolutely no more use of the south ferry loop tracks aside from off peak storage and unplanned reroutes.

- A

There is no IF, it's in the new work programs and scheduled to begin in late June. And those loop tracks will still be used after the last (5) heads to Brooklyn in the evening and for a few (5) trains during the rush hours. What's so special about the loop anyway ? Since the (1) stopped using it who cares ?

Here's another source:

No. 5 Service extension while Bronx & Brooklyn No. 4 riders, prepare for smoother commute.

The MTA is looking to ferry No. 5 trains into Brooklyn beyond the rush hour, when they currently terminate at the Bowling Green station. The proposal, along with the start of the so called doomesday bus cuts, which is expected to be approve by the MTA board next week, would extend all No. 5 service to both the Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College and Utica Ave stop between 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The change would begin in June 2009 if passed. MTA officals are considering this change to address the growing issue of overcrowding at No. 4 stations between Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall and the Atlantic Ave station during the lunch time period weekdays. Currently the no. 4 is the only full time Lex Ave line that operates to Brooklyn other than rush hours.

But the shift comes at the expense of No. 4 riders due to lack of available track along the Lex line. The agency would run four fewer No. 4 trains along the line during the same weekday midday time period, causing some additional crowding on the line, according to MTA documents.

So No. 4 riders boarding between Woodlawn and 149th St may now have to wait for a train that arrives every 8-10 minutes instead of every 4-5 minutes currently under this revised schedule change.

“It’s a tradeoff,” said William Henderson, executive director of the Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee to the MTA.

The expanded service would not cost additional cash, according to the proposal. It would also better balance the schedules between the No. 2, 3 and 4 trains, officials said. At the same time by next year No. 5 weekend riders could suffer from a rumored end of weekend Manhattan service if a second set of doomesday cuts occurs.

Source: AM New York

April 22, 2009

I don't see why people are upset over this. Your rationale is that (4) will have an equal headway to the (5) instead of having a very short one. The (4) does not even need that much service because the (D) train is about a block away.

In fact, people should ride the B/D during the rush period. There's more seating and the D is express along Concourse. During regular hours, the D provides rather frequent service along Concourse.

Archived