(5) to Brooklyn

TheMan

Nope the (4) Line is not giving up any equipment they just lay them up during middays instead of running them all afternoon. The (5) just will store fewer trains and have them operate in the afternoon instead of laying them up at Zoo Lots or E 180 St.

What zoo lot?

Also doesnth the (5) Lays up north of utica too?

You get the Zoo Lots thing one of these days that what we call it. They don't lay up anything at Utica on the (5).

Oh..Well I remember i was on an SB (3) in fev and when i entered the tube i saw a layed up (5) during the midday..

So why does the (5) get sent to Utica? For Access to Livonia?

The (5) gets sent to Utica or New Lots simply because Flatbush Avenue can't handle the volume of trains required on the (2) and (5) lines. The (2) even gets sent to Utica or New Lots during the PM rush.

yea i know about that, but wouldnt that increase the amount of trains on the New Lots Line, which can cause some delays..

There are a couple (4)s sent to Bowling Green.

The (4) has way to much service outside of rush hour and its not even funny; well mainly between Woodlawn & 149th Street and with the (D)/(:P a block away 10-12 mins would even be good for the (4). A train has to be overcrowded for it to be crowded. You may see a platform on the Jerome EL crowded but most of the train is crowded in the 3/4/5/6/7/8 cars, leaving cars 1/2/9/10 nothing really and cars 4/5/6/7 are usually dumb crowded. But thats just my 2 cents.

Wait a second... when this happens the (5) would most likely get some of the (4)'s R142A's since the (4) will be running less before and the (5) running more

As long as I can get a (4) or (5) when i need it....I could could care less what cars it gets...for a short while they had (5) trains running into brooklyn during middays and if I'm correct the (4) was fine.

I don't see why people are upset over this. Your rationale is that (4) will have an equal headway to the (5) instead of having a very short one. The (4) does not even need that much service because the (D) train is about a block away.

You say the (D) is about a block away. Once the (4) gets below Kingsbridge Road in the Bronx. The distance between the Grand Concourse and Jerome Ave improves significantly. On average of about 4 blocks. Mind you the Bronx is very hilly. Getting to the Grand Concourse is uphill from Jerome Ave. And for those who live west of Jerome Ave. Getting to the (4) involves hills and or steps, coming from the direction of University Ave.

Passengers who take the (4) generally remain on the East Side of Manhattan, to go to work, school or play. Taking the (D) instead would eliminate the 1 seat ride. If they even get a seat to begin with.

Why some people are calling New Lots Zoo lots?it's New Lots.

Because back in the 80's/early 90's, that's exactly what it was. Going past the Pink Houses was always an iffy proposition as you never knew when your train was going to be used for target practice. And I can't tell you how many T/O's and C/R's had to throw down their wallet to the street on the lead in into Livonia Yard because a gun was pointing up. The area around New Lots & Livonia was infamous for its lawlessness.

Wait a second... when this happens the (5) would most likely get some of the (4)'s R142A's since the (4) will be running less before and the (5) running more

I believe there are also R142s running on the (4). If so, then the logical conclusion would be to use those.

I'm just going to say, this is good news that the (5) is going to Brooklyn, at least I can have a direct ride to the Bronx's (5) line from my neck of the woods borough. Another good thing, when I ride the (5), I won't have to get off at Bowling Green and wait for the (4), I can keep taking the (5). :cool: The downside is that the South Ferry loop tracks won't be used anymore.

Whats a Zoo Lot? I know Pelham bay dave said something about it, im confused a bit. Is that relay track?

I believe there are also R142s running on the (4). If so, then the logical conclusion would be to use those.

There are R142s on the (4), they share R142/R142As. there is no more R62s on the (4) however.

Zoo Lot = New Lot. It is just something they randomly say at times.

Mark, I think you better come here more to preserve your know about NYC Subway/Bus System!

geez they make up names for everything, next thing you know it, City Hall would be called Mayors House lol. And umm I know some transit, thats something. I dunno much, but will do. I dont only have interest in transit u know. Computer is my thing to and im learning. So give me time..

i honestly have to agree...I mean for me its all the same since I rarely go above E 51st but usually when I ride the Lex lines...its like 2 or 3 (4) trains to 1 (5) that will pass through. Not saying this is always the case but this is my experience with it...

For the last few years the schedule has 2 (4)s for each (5) on Lexington Ave during the mid-day hours.To the other posters...Yes there is 1 (5) train layup south of Utica weekdays. No the (4) line is not sending any equipment over to the (5).

Look who's talking. Some people here don't know anything about the history of the NYC Transit System. Let alone, transit in general.

Going back to the topic, the (4) seeing longer headways is justified. I'll say it over and over, the Jerome Line is overserved. Especially during middays.

IAWTP.

The 4 is comparatively frequent along the Jerome Ave El during midday hours. Being a frequent user of that line, I know how frequent service is on that line. Sometimes the frequency would be 2 minutes, as witnessed at Bedford Park Boulevard. Over the course of 10 minutes, 4 to 5 trains would pass on the Woodlawn side (this is at 3 PM).

I have mixed feelings about the (5) being extended to Brooklyn during midday hours. I'm happy that Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn has added service the the (5) will help the (2) and the (4) in Brooklyn. However, it will take me longer to get to school since I attend Lehman College. During the trial run few months ago, I was waiting for a (4) train at Atlantic Avenue and three Bronx bound (5) trains pass by before a (4) train came to Atlantic Avenue. If I knew back then the waiting time was long I would have taken the (D) train to Bedford Park Blvd. But when I go to work along Eastchester Road I get to work faster since there is more (5) trains.

I have mixed feelings about the (5) being extended to Brooklyn during midday hours. I'm happy that Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn has added service the the (5) will help the (2) and the (4) in Brooklyn. However, it will take me longer to get to school since I attend Lehman College. During the trial run few months ago, I was waiting for a (4) train at Atlantic Avenue and three Bronx bound (5) trains pass by before a (4) train came to Atlantic Avenue. If I knew back then the waiting time was long I would have taken the (D) train to Bedford Park Blvd. But when I go to work along Eastchester Road I get to work faster since there is more (5) trains.

Instead of waiting for the (4) you can take the (5) up tp 149th- Mott ave and take the (4) there (But walking Upstairs, or 125th and waiting on the same platform. The time diffrence wont change seeing that its the same as waiting for the (4) at your stop and at 125th, 149th or anywhere where the (4)(5) runs. As long as you catch the (40 behind it on time.

On PM hrs of course there will be like 2 /3 (5) and (4) behind it, mainly becuz 1 or 2 could be Dyre or 238th Bound train.. Same heading SB

And thats how the Trial ran, it will be like that of course, if they leave the same amount of (4) on bklyn with additional <5> then that would lead to a delay all over the line..

Question--

How about running every other (4) train to 149st? That way the Jerome line will have extended headways but Manhattan service wont suffer?

Umm no, the (4) doesnt need to terminate at 149 a waste of money and time, It would most likly be the same bro.

Anyways I like the idea of the (5) to flatbush during Middays, can help the (2) out as well as allowing people up at dyre line who want brooklyn can go str8 rather then hitting the (2) at E180th to 149th =)!

Archived