Question about R142/A Announcements and FIND

Rutgers Tube

I've noticed that at various station stops on the Lexington Line, the automated announcements regarding transfers are sometimes announced by Jessica Ettinger Gottesman and at other times, are announced by Charlie Pellett. I've noticed it primarily on morning runs on trains begun during the overnight hours. Bowling Green is one example ("Connection to the Staten Island Ferry"). Does it differ between the 4 and 5, or is there another reason? I haven't noticed this on any other trains.

Also, why do the FIND's and the overhead LCDs at opposite ends of certain cars, in the same trains, have different messages (final destination, next stop, etc.) from one car to another? Is that some sort of glitch?

Thanks!

If you are talking about a R142/A car, FINDs don't exist. A strip map is in lieu of a FIND.

I know. I wasn't clear with the post, so I apologize. The first part of the post is about the 142/A's and the second part of the post concerns the FIND system on the 160s.

I ride the F daily, and I've noticed the glitch on that line. One car will have the overhead LCD with the time frozen and the car to the immediate rear will have the time, next stop and ultimate destination. What allows for individual cars to have different readouts if they're all linked to the same computer program and system? Or are they not?

I'm friends with a conductor on the Lexington Line, and he's told me several times that the computer system is sometimes more work and more aggravation that it's worth.

Thank you, MTR. Any idea on why transfer and connection announcements on the Lexington Line trains differ between Charlie and Jessica? I usually notice this when I catch a Brooklyn-bound express out of GCT around 0550-0600.

By the way, has anyone else ever noticed this, or are my ears yanking my brain's chain?

Thank you, MTR. Any idea on why transfer and connection announcements on the Lexington Line trains differ between Charlie and Jessica? I usually notice this when I catch a Brooklyn-bound express out of GCT around 0550-0600.

By the way, has anyone else ever noticed this, or are my ears yanking my brain's chain?

According to a newspaper article, it said that women are naturally more informative and men are naturally more commanding. Thus, Jessica does the station announcements and the transfers. Charlie would do the doors announcements and all of those messages that you hear, like the ones about suspicious packages and trash receptacles.

That happens on the 7th Avenue Line. It's the fact that the announcements are older than the rest. Some trains still need to replace it.

A good number of them still need to be updated. For example, a few trains would not announce the SBS at Fordham or Pelham Parkway or Pelham Bay (depending on the train). I remember once, and rather recently, that Charlie on the 6 announced that there was a Grand Street Shuttle at Broadway Lafayette.

True. I was just on the (5) not too long ago and heard the old transfer announcement at 59th St.

Meanwhile, I've heard many on the 4 now. AFAIK, at Fordham Rd it plays the SBS transfer announcement. At 59th Charlie would talk about the walking to the Lexington Ave/63rd Street station and at 14th, Charlie would tell everyone to mind the gap.

According to a newspaper article, it said that women are naturally more informative and men are naturally more commanding. Thus, Jessica does the station announcements and the transfers. Charlie would do the doors announcements and all of those messages that you hear, like the ones about suspicious packages and trash receptacles.

I actually heard that that they did them that way was a happy coincidence...

Are the R142/R142A programmed for the (1), (3), (S) and (9)?

(1),(3),(S) yes. Under the (9) program there are only " not in service" and cancel route notations IIRC. I'm only referring to the R142 Bombardier cars 'cause that's the only equipment we run on the (5) line.

Archived