DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

We'll save the very BEST for last though:

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

These were all D200 + 80-200; ISO 400 & f/8-11.

Thanks 'fer lookin'!

Perfect shots! Though I really miss the M1s rumbling through the express...

Make no mistake, the M3 in the last shot was doing MAS. That wheelchair ramp puts you right at track level, it was just RAW POWAAAAAAAAH as it ran by. To be honest I don't really recommend standing there, stuff from the roadbed could fly at you.

Nice shots! Is it allowed to be off the platform for shots?

All of my shots were from publicly accessible unrestricted places. The low shot of the M3 was taken from the wheelchair ramp. Getting a summons for trespassing would really put a damper on my day. :P

• 1 month later...

Ahhh, another Nikon user :) I love the photos, although I would have gone wide angle to get the whole train on the curve. With the signal aspects, are they a variant of the semaphores? (There doesn't seem to be tri-colour signals)

With the older rolling stock, are they rare to see these days (ie, only in rush/peak hour)?

Ahhh, another Nikon user B) I love the photos, although I would have gone wide angle to get the whole train on the curve. With the signal aspects, are they a variant of the semaphores? (There doesn't seem to be tri-colour signals)

With the older rolling stock, are they rare to see these days (ie, only in rush/peak hour)?

Thanks mate. :) I'll be back there no doubt so i'll go wide then. The signals found at Forest Hills are PRR position-light signals. The LIRR uses color signals as well however they are only found a few places. This site explains the signal aspects.

Thanks mate. ;) I'll be back there no doubt so i'll go wide then. The signals found at Forest Hills are PRR position-light signals. The LIRR uses color signals as well however they are only found a few places. This site explains the signal aspects.

Cheers for the explanation, mate. It seems the position light signals work on the same principle as the semaphore signals. Can any of the old semaphores be found anywhere on the system?

Archived