Operating the Branford Electric Railway (don't 56k it...)

SubwayGuy

I didn't take any pictures. It was raining and drizzling throughout the day. SubwayGuy spent the day working as a Trolley Operator .

Yeah today was pretty busy, not a lot of people but they were throughout the day so the cars were never crowded but we had to run a lot of cars with just a few passengers. We were also short on operators b/c our Dispt had to leave early and the RT crew wrapped up once people who were interested in operating had finished. But I ended up being one of the few ops folks here so I was busy right up until the end of the operating day.

I figure in June I may just go up to chill for it, operating here and there on other weekends as needed/possible. June 6 is T/O test so I will keep you posted on plans if you're interested in coming up.

In other news, the Lo-V door part has been repaired, and tonight we put it back into the car. It was running fine without it, but now it's back "in the spirit of the olde IRT" :)

Arnine projects are ongoing...shoe beams were removed from the NG motor truck...because of the rain we didn't get to anything involving the shop truck but it's on going

You can get there by Metro North to New Haven but then you need to take a cab if someone is not picking you up.

I know you can take a CTTransit Bus up to Branford however I don't have the route # (or letter if the New Haven Division is still using it) at this time. I would have to do research on it!

So the door will now open when I push the button when the train stops at the high level? Members day, that kept giving me problems. It would close all right but it would not open.

Yeah it'll work, just gotta hold the door control buttons down both when opening and closing. At some point we will go back there and scrape/vacuum out the middle door's track so it opens and closes more smoothly. It worked when I tried it today, all we did was put the magnet valve back and hook it up to the trainline air...middle door is still a bit "sticky"though

I think what you're referring to is the pin that dropped down - it needs to be upright to alllow the doors to open, the magnet valve pulls it up...without it, it has to be pulled up manually if while the car is moving it drops down due to gravity. With the magnet valve fixed that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

I know you can take a CTTransit Bus up to Branford however I don't have the route # (or letter if the New Haven Division is still using it) at this time. I would have to do research on it!

Better to take a cab unless you want to do one or the other of 1) a lot of walking or 2) a lot of waiting

just my 2c

the RT crew wrapped up once people who were interested in operating had finished.

I don't know why they wrapped up early, I wanted to go again but they took the train back to the barn after that kid with the long blond hair did a trip.

Yeah it'll work, just gotta hold the door control buttons down both when opening and closing. At some point we will go back there and scrape/vacuum out the middle door's track so it opens and closes more smoothly. It worked when I tried it today, all we did was put the magnet valve back and hook it up to the trainline air...middle door is still a bit "sticky"though

I think what you're referring to is the pin that dropped down - it needs to be upright to alllow the doors to open, the magnet valve pulls it up...without it, it has to be pulled up manually if while the car is moving it drops down due to gravity. With the magnet valve fixed that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Hey car dept. all I know is that when the train stops, I can't get the doors open and then all the geese get roudy :). Suprisingly though, when you close down then open up as the doors are closing, every thing works fine. By the way, what car did they use for RT?

All ways a fun car. How did you like it, did you get a full trip (down the line and back), did you dump it?

I liked it, would have liked to gone again. Did I dump it? During operation? nah, only while the train was in the platform after Jimmy told me to.

Hey car dept. all I know is that when the train stops, I can't get the doors open and then all the geese get roudy :). Suprisingly though, when you close down then open up as the doors are closing, every thing works fine. By the way, what car did they use for RT?

Heh...come on T/O I thought we showed you in schoolcar where "that secret release" was located...:P

How are the cars powered up there? Some sort of battery or did you guys rig up some third rail?

Powered via a trolley line that runs above the cars. The Subway cars have been fitted with a trolley power system.

It's a 600 volt DC over head system so its like having a third rail suspended in the air. All the RT cars we have have had trolley poles added to them but they can be a real pain in the a**. One of the biggest problems with them is that the RT cars only have one pole so going one direction we can tie the rope to one of the pontagraph gates, but when we turn around, that same rope is fed into the middle door and tied on to a grab hold. With the trolleys, we usually don't have this problem since they have 2 poles. Having a 3rd rail, though it would be cool, would be extreamly dangerous since there are people on or about the roadbed at all times.

Having a 3rd rail, though it would be cool, would be extreamly dangerous since there are people on or about the roadbed at all times.
Yup, there was a couple jogging on the track bed as I was going down the route.

It's a 600 volt DC over head system so its like having a third rail suspended in the air. All the RT cars we have have had trolley poles added to them but they can be a real pain in the a**. One of the biggest problems with them is that the RT cars only have one pole so going one direction we can tie the rope to one of the pontagraph gates, but when we turn around, that same rope is fed into the middle door and tied on to a grab hold. With the trolleys, we usually don't have this problem since they have 2 poles. Having a 3rd rail, though it would be cool, would be extreamly dangerous since there are people on or about the roadbed at all times.

yup not to mention 3rd rail is actually outlawed in connecticut...also if there was third rail instead of trolley power, they'd have to fit the trolley cars with contact shoes!

as for bystanders by the track, that's true, plus people walking around the yard...there's that and the risk of people who get to close to the cars in the yard (BZZT!), so while the car is under power the contact shoes are not live...as for folks walking the line no different than in NYCT - "long long" and slowww dowwnnnnnn....

Archived