PATH, Amtrak Conrail, etc & electrification...

metsfan

So. I saw the towers, i know what they are used for. Then i saw remnants connected to the towers, and thought, gee why is it like that. Then, i saw wire still in place, and wondered what the heck they were thinking.

Why is the catenary system taken down/unused between newark & jsq? Are they afraid to bring main line pax into jsq ala PRR, or use 3rd rail/cat trains, that could possibly connect PATH to the airport?

Do they think wires have spirits that will make freight trains mutate into large boxes of american idol dvd's?

So, my real question is, who pulled the plug, why did they do it, and when will this gruesome travesty be rectified?

You all have seen this too. On the east coast, and some out west, there are tracks that were electrified & now are not. In some places they used cheap (inexpensive, not poor quality) timber cat structures, and in others they have steel/iron.

What lines should be re-electrified, and of those which are the most feasible with either mixed electric and diesel power, or dual mode locomotives?

What lines would be freight only, and what lines or stretches of lines would see mixed use of both pax & freight?

Could they use the trans-harbor freight tunnel (across NY harbor between NJ and long island) in conjunction with these re-electrification schemes?

Other countries have electrified freight lines, especially on heavily used stretches between a yard and a customer/city. We can do it too.

- A

Theres no reason for Transit to go to JSQ when they Have Hoboken. The plug was probably pulled by Conrail when electric freight was stopped. THere is some wire still up but don't hold your breath with trains other than PATH coming back.

Do you think PANYNJ would extend PATH with a new line from jsq to ewr?

They could use platform H and ride the tracks to the west of the NEC tracks down to the freight line there, pass over the NEC and have the terminal be there. :cool:

If you wanted to be really cool you could have catenary only service as a shuttle train between the airport, newark, and jsq. You could use platform A and 5 at nwk. :P

- A

You mean the old yard along the NEC next to the Busch plant? That was a major PRR freight yard at one time, even connected to Oak Island at one point, now however since there was no use for it, it was abandoned. The monorail actually gives you a nice view of what once was.

Perhaps we could store both the jsq-ewr PATH trains there, and additional (NJT) trains used on the WTL and LC routes.....

- A

No. first off the LC trains will probably sit at the MMC or in whatever yards are going to be left in Hoboken. THe WTL sets will join the RVL sets at sitting in the MMC or at Hudson.

The PATH in theory could build a yard there. Remember though that the tracks in the area by the Busch plant are still served daily by Conrail.

True....

Mebe they could only use the abandoned parts (currently only cat towers no track) on the east side of the airtrain terminal...... In combo with the active track used by conrail.. Mayhaps add an unpowered track for freight to appease them?

- A

There are so many ways to do so many obviously important things in the NY metro area and philly metro area it boggles my mind some times.

I really wanna burst in on wherever some of these people meet/work and demand stuff gets done.

I understand **** is complicated with many levels of things going on at once, unions, political stuff, engineering obsticals etc, but the more i learn the more irritated i get. B)

- A

Archived