Cablevision unveils new "fastest" tier

mark1447

Cablevision Systems Corp. on Tuesday unveiled the fastest Internet speeds available from any cable or phone company.

Starting May 11, the Bethpage, N.Y.-based cable operator will offer speeds of up to 101 megabits per second downstream throughout its service area, and 15 megabits per second upstream.

That means a 4-gigabyte, high-definition movie can be downloaded in 5 1/2 minutes. It would take two minutes for a 1.6-gigabyte standard definition movie.

Cablevision, which has 3 million subscribers in the New York metro area, also plans to double the downstream speed of the Wi-Fi Internet service it offers at "hot spots" in New York's Long Island, Connecticut and Westchester County, and in parts of New Jersey.

Cablevision is in a race against Verizon Communications Inc., which is rolling out its fiber-optic FiOS service in New York City.

At present, Verizon's top Internet speed is 50 megabits per second with a starting cost of $140 a month plus a free wireless router. Cablevision is offering its service at $99.95 a month.

The second-fastest Internet speed offered by a cable operator is up to 60 megabits from Charter Communications Inc., available only in the St. Louis area. Charter, based in St. Louis, is in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Philadelphia-based Comcast Corp. offers speeds of up to 50 megabits per second.

Source: Yahoo News!

As a user of Optimum Online, it sucks. In fact Cable Vision in general sucks. I can't wait until FiOS comes to my block in about a year. Sure, the internet is fast most times but sometimes it has slowdowns really bad for a LONG time. And they don't come fix until 2 weeks after. iO digital cable is sucks. Pixelation and audio pausing occurs frequently, and they came to fix the problem multiple times, and it still happens. I'm sure Verzion will follow suit with Suckyvision's (I mean Cablevision :D) latest offerings. And even if Verizon FiOS may not be that much better than cable, at least Verizon is a company I like. I hate giving money to Cable companies... they're evil! :cool: B)

I use cable for tv, FIOS for phone & internet. We are thinking about dropping comcast & having 100% FIOS.

As for faster than everything else, cablevision's footprint is tiny compared to verizon, comcast, and att. Bigger = more data = more time = limitations on bandwidth.

Still its about time we got some big (speed) guns. :cool:

- A

Archived