Service suspended between Baltimore and Washington

Paul P

Amtrak and MARC Penn Line Service Suspended between Baltimore and Washington Due to Water Main Break

At 7:45 a.m. Amtrak halted all train service, including MARC Penn Line trains, between Washington and Baltimore due to a major water main break between BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport Station and Baltimore Penn Station. The tracks in the area are covered with mud, trees and other debris.

Amtrak repair crews are working to clear the site, but service restoration is not expected until at least noon today, and may extend beyond that time.

No alternate service is available, and travelers are urged to delay their travel plans or seek other options.

Passengers may call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for additional information and train status updates.

As of now, limited service has resumed between Baltimore and Washington, there are still some trains terminating in Baltimore as crews restore trackway south of Baltimore. Some Acela Express trains have been cancelled.

I am not sure of this: but sources say only one track is used South of Baltimore. All the way til' Friday until the pipe that broke is replaced.

There was no bus service provided from Amtrak to replace the trains. So most intercity buses were packed I can imagine. When I spoke to an engineer at Wilmington today, he said there was at least 3 feet of debris on the tracks... :eek:

I am not sure of this: but sources say only one track is used South of Baltimore. All the way til' Friday until the pipe that broke is replaced.

There was no bus service provided from Amtrak to replace the trains. So most intercity buses were packed I can imagine. When I spoke to an engineer at Wilmington today, he said there was at least 3 feet of debris on the tracks... :eek:

If it's a really big pipe, it can throw everything above it up into the air tens of feet and excavate a huge crater. Few years ago in philly they had a gas main rupture that tossed a car 45 feet into a nearby field. There's a lot of pressure in any of those pipes, and when a weak spot is found the pressure goes there and out it comes.

This must be a massive headache for those guys. :confused:

- A

No cancellations, today went by pretty smooth. There are some delays for the Acelas coming from Boston, but that issue must be in the north. Good to see service back to normal. I'll post some pics up from yesterday. Stay tuned! :tup:

Archived