TSA to take over NYPD subway bag checks

Y2Julio

Hey, my girlfriend is TSA. She is not a "perp".

- A

Thank you every one is not a Perp Grow Up im Sure the FEDS go threw a back ground check before they hire people the TSA is under Home Land Security which is a Federal Agency if im not mistaken

I haven't read the article or heard about this anywhere but this thread , but if it is true the TSA is going to take over the bag checks , in my humble opinion I think it is a TERRIBLE idea :eek: ... before I became a train operator I worked nights responding to bank alarms , and before that I did hotel security at the St. Regis Hotel in midtown so I have a security background , I did armed work , and assisted the state department , NYPD , etc etc , with security for US and foreign heads of state at the hotel , so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to security. This is a very bad idea. To begin with the bag checks are all show because unlike a DWI check point where once you approach it you can't go anywhere if you're doing something illegal , with the subway if you enter the system with weapons , terror instruments , etc. and you see cops or TSA you can just leave and get on elsewhere. I live near 95th on the R , cops set up at 95th and 86th from time to time , or 59th. They don't set up at 77th or Bay Ridge Ave and even if they did how hard is it to walk back upstairs and go to the next stop , or even two. Either way the walk is under a mile and I'm positive that wouldn't deter any determined individual with evil on his mind. I know someone posted they have a g/f that's a TSA agent and that's cool , but I've travelled twice to Guatemala with my wife whose from there and even though we personally did not have run ins with TSA the nonsense with taking the shoes off and the belts and blah blah blah IS nonsense. We don't have real airline and transit security in the US , what we have is window dressing. The government is about keeping up appearances in regards to security and not actually making things secure. You could strap a sharpened piece of plastic to your leg which is as good as a knife and board a plane undetected because it's not metal. There are ways to even hide firearms (such as Glocks) in on board luggage by dismantling the weapon then re-assembling it on the plane if you have the know how. If you really know about security you see most of this is b.s. I was pissed when I had to take off my shoes and it's not about being a crybaby , it's plain stupid , and the problem with this TSA idea is that I would expect they're going to overdo it , where the NYPD doesn't overdo it. I worry about these guys taking themselves too seriously. If I'm asked going to work in or out of uniform by a TSA agent to open my bag , I'll unzip it and pull it open but if he starts getting stupid asking me to pull things out or start re-arranging the contents so he can have a better look inside he's getting blown off and he better not try to push the issue. I doubt the public at large is going to like the idea and I guarantee there will be problems with this. I hope the idea gets squashed or it's just a rumor with no real substance. We'll see. Just my two cents (or maybe more like twenty bucks I wrote so much ... lol)

If TSA takes over the searches, at least the NYPD vans won't be parked just outside the stairs, like a beacon "SEARCH POINT HERE!!!"

How stupid would one have to be to get caught by a PD check point.. You walk right by a 9 to 11 passenger white van, all lettered up "NYPD" and enter into the system anyway!.. I even told some white shirt POs about it, I suggested parking the van at the opposite station entrance, then check point the other entrance.. The whole search thing is propaganda, because if the 'attack' plan was that far along, the checkpoint would become the blast point..

I have a better idea for system safety ... how about arming train operators on a voluntary basis like pilots on aircraft ... :tup: It's a great idea and the only thing standing in the way of it becoming reality is the governor , the mayor , the MTA , the union , and the NYPD ... but if you dismiss that , I'm for it ;) , so there's one vote :o:o:o

I have a better idea for system safety ... how about arming train operators on a voluntary basis like pilots on aircraft ... :tup: It's a great idea and the only thing standing in the way of it becoming reality is the governor , the mayor , the MTA , the union , and the NYPD ... but if you dismiss that , I'm for it ;) , so there's one vote :o:o:o

Heh...time to go back to cast iron brake handles.

Baby steps, baby steps :cool:

I have a better idea for system safety ... how about arming train operators on a voluntary basis like pilots on aircraft ... :tup: It's a great idea and the only thing standing in the way of it becoming reality is the governor , the mayor , the MTA , the union , and the NYPD ... but if you dismiss that , I'm for it :) , so there's one vote :o:o:o

I'll be right in line with you!! Back in the day, some senior guys working the mids in some sections of town, took safety precautions and carried "defensive" objects.. But that's when the (J) train getting shot at was a regular occurrence.. Another retired (A)/© conductor told me he regularly isolated his operating cars for his own safety back then too.. 60 feet of steel keeps people safely away!

And what - this surprises you? Don't a number of them do the same thing in regards to the MTA and its employees?

And much like Transit workers, it's the "bad apples" that are remembered by everyone. For example, four years ago, I was all but taken to the floor at Miami International for going through security with my shoes on. I then got the big lecture about how times have changed and when was the last time I had flown. i left them speechless with the fact that it had been 7 days previous when I flew out of JFK with my shoes still on feet.

I made a roundtrip from LGA to Fayetteville, NC right after 9/11 and no shoe check at LGA but the works at FAY. This year I made the same R/T in February and the situation was reversed. Like Alex says there are bad apples in all professions but I try to be professional every day so don't tar everyone with the same brush. I find that most people are just trying to do their job.

Archived