Old school rollsign on R68A 5063

MattTrain

Nice catch!

Thank you very much!

Nice pics!

Aren't those signs from the 80's?

Thank you, the signs are from 1988 when this train car was manufactured, I believe they kept this type of sign on all R68As until 2001.

Cool, nice catch.

Thanks man, this was unexpected for me.

Thank you very much!

Thank you, the signs are from 1988 when this train car was manufactured, I believe they kept this type of sign on all R68As until 2001.

Yeah because the font is different. The font here is from what is known as "MTA Helvetica" or "Akzidenz Grotesque". We currently use standard Helvetica, IINM.

I remember seeing that sign a while back. Nice Catch!

Thanks a bunch, I believe that's the only fully original sign on any R68A car. I might be wrong though.

Yeah because the font is different. The font here is from what is known as "MTA Helvetica" or "Akzidenz Grotesque". We currently use standard Helvetica, IINM.

Oh I noticed the font difference, just never knew what it was exactly, thanks for the info. :tup:

I was interesting how they printed the old Q and the orange Q.

(Q6) used the R68A's frequently going on 6 Avenue, but sometimes had (Q) on their signs, that was with that old sign format. I saw that a lot as a little kid.

(Q6) used the R68A's frequently going on 6 Avenue, but sometimes had (Q) on their signs, that was with that old sign format. I saw that a lot as a little kid.

The orange Q used the same weird font as well. It was until 2001 that the new yellow Q adopted a new font with the "line" crossing the "O" on the Q. In fact, the (Q6) depicted here has the incorrect wrong. It was more like this: q.gif.

Cool! The original!

Thanks a lot, I am happy you like the original.

The orange Q used the same weird font as well. It was until 2001 that the new yellow Q adopted a new font with the "line" crossing the "O" on the Q. In fact, the (Q6) depicted here has the incorrect wrong. It was more like this: q.gif.

Oh wow, that's something, those were the old days, that (Q6) was fun to look at, and this (Q) today.

Thank you very much!

lol awww, dont worry cuz i took it on the (:D(N)(Q)(W), only line im missing is the (D), lol.

What was the point of replacing the old Q with line sticking out? On G/O list it still uses that font. While the regular (Q6)(Q) uses the line sticking out font..

btw nice catch, it must of been used during the Broadway (Q) when the Manhattan Bridge south side was closed, which spilted the (:D(D) Orange/Yellow

Very cool sign, I would love to add that to my collection. When I saw the topic "old school rollsign" I was hoping to see something like this though,

b88d_12.jpg

(I don't have this sign but wish I did!)

Also, who was it that posted a shot of an old R30 sign on an R32 (F) train?

Very cool sign, I would love to add that to my collection. When I saw the topic "old school rollsign" I was hoping to see something like this though ...

Also, who was it that posted a shot of an old R30 sign on an R32 (F) train?

Thanks, well to me that R68A sign was "old school" for me because I was growing up looking at the trains from my house window and the R68A's had those signs back then. As for the old R30 sign on a R32 (F), I'm not so sure who posted it.

Thanks, well to me that R68A sign was "old school" for me because I was growing up looking at the trains from my house window and the R68A's had those signs back then. As for the old R30 sign on a R32 (F), I'm not so sure who posted it.

Hell, I'm as old as an R68. Too bad that sign did not have the original destination signs on it too, I know there is a car out there that still does have them.

Hell, I'm as old as an R68. Too bad that sign did not have the original destination signs on it too, I know there is a car out there that still does have them.

I think R68 cars 2807 and 2818 and R68A 5063 and 5186 have their first version signs retained, while the rest were changed in 2001.

The old font is Akzidenz Grotesque. The TA began using that font in the 60's or 70's. The TA hasn't full converted to Helvetica. Look at the column signs at Queens Plaza.

I know, some of the J rollsigns have a shorter hook. A distinctive feature in AG. Helvetica has a longer hook.

I know, some of the J rollsigns have a shorter hook. A distinctive feature in AG. Helvetica has a longer hook.

I think those signs also have (JFK) and <R> on them. The newer signs are the ones with (J). I really like the style of the old signs that the R1/9s had and the old IND tile font. It would be nice to see that brought back but I don't think it will ever happen.

Archived