Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
budsthe4

Employment freeze?

hey guys.

so i found out that i passed my interview about a month ago at metro north railroad.

but a few days ago i got a letter in the mail stating: "their hiring needs is undetermined at this time, and i have passed the preliminary screening, and i have been placed in a pool of candidates for future consideration".

when i had my interview, they said if i pass the interview, (which i did, i found out by calling them) i will eventually be called for a medical exam, then my starting date.

did i get this letter in the mail basically saying that they will not hire me yet because of the "trouble" the MTA is currently in because of a supposed hiring freeze and cutbacks? thank you in advance.

That sucks..I always thought the interview was the last important process before the medical when dealing with the railroads.Most people I know who work for both Metro North and Long Island have told me basically if you pass the interview panel your in ,barring if you have some major medical issues.The (MTA) as a whole is a mess..:mad:

hey guys.

so i found out that i passed my interview about a month ago at metro north railroad.

but a few days ago i got a letter in the mail stating: "their hiring needs is undetermined at this time, and i have passed the preliminary screening, and i have been placed in a pool of candidates for future consideration".

when i had my interview, they said if i pass the interview, (which i did, i found out by calling them) i will eventually be called for a medical exam, then my starting date.

did i get this letter in the mail basically saying that they will not hire me yet because of the "trouble" the MTA is currently in because of a supposed hiring freeze and cutbacks? thank you in advance.

Let me start off by saying congratulations passing the interview as bittersweet as it may be.

There is indeed a hiring freeze currently. This was implemented last week and I don't think it will be lifted anytime soon (my opinion). The only people getting hired right now is those who were given job offers prior to the freeze.

The hiring freeze will not likely be lifted until 1) the state decides if they are going to budget any money to the MTA and if so, how much and 2) what cuts are going to have to be made based on #1. One jobs are cut then the trickle down effect starts and there will be a lot of bumping and it's likely a lot of the currently vacant jobs will be filled via the bumps.

How long ago did you interview? Depending on the recruiter and position, things move pretty quickly after the interview. When I was hired I had my interview and medical within a couple of weeks and was hired about a week after that.

I know Metro North just lost a recruiter so it's possible if she was the one you were dealing with, things could have gotten lost in the shuffle but they have plenty of staff (interns) to follow up with these things.

Let me start off by saying congratulations passing the interview as bittersweet as it may be.

There is indeed a hiring freeze currently. This was implemented last week and I don't think it will be lifted anytime soon (my opinion). The only people getting hired right now is those who were given job offers prior to the freeze.

The hiring freeze will not likely be lifted until 1) the state decides if they are going to budget any money to the MTA and if so, how much and 2) what cuts are going to have to be made based on #1. One jobs are cut then the trickle down effect starts and there will be a lot of bumping and it's likely a lot of the currently vacant jobs will be filled via the bumps.

How long ago did you interview? Depending on the recruiter and position, things move pretty quickly after the interview. When I was hired I had my interview and medical within a couple of weeks and was hired about a week after that.

I know Metro North just lost a recruiter so it's possible if she was the one you were dealing with, things could have gotten lost in the shuffle but they have plenty of staff (interns) to follow up with these things.

i had my interview in the beginning of march. but being is that i was not actually offered the job, i just passed the interview, and i still need to get a medical exam, i was not officially offered the job before the hiring freeze, i just passed the interview before the hiring freeze.