Dooomesday II Cuts: The end of all Overnight NYC subway service?

Another article another bad day maybe in near future for NYC Transit Riders.

Second MTA fare hike & Doomesday II Service Cuts looms at end of this year with worse-than-expected budget deficit: Complete Citywide Overnight Subway Shutdown being considered. Pay attention guys to the statment in Bold made by Lee Sandler in middle of article.

By Glenn Blain and Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority board Wednesday green lighted its staff to draft an 18-month plan that could be voted on in June - six months ahead of schedule. On the possible list of Doomesday II Cuts includes, the option of a fully citywide closing of the subway system overnight and the end to almost all weekend express bus and subway service starting as early as December of this year..

That would give the authority enough time to hold public hearings and implement a second series of hikes and service cuts in the last quarter of the year.

MTA CEO Elliot Sander said the authority hasn't decided on the timing of further fare hikes but a resolution approved by the board is infused with a sense of urgency.

The authority "is not in a position to wait until December to take the steps necessary" to close ballooning budget gaps, the document states.

With exploding deficits, the MTA needs more cash from the state to balance its books and maintain service.

Gov. Paterson and Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver (D-Manhattan) backed a plan crafted by former MTA Chairman Richard Ravitch that includes tolls on East and Harlem river bridges.

Senate Majority Leader Malcolm Smith (D-Queens)introduced a toll-free plan with a $1 surcharge on taxi rides.

Both plans would impose an employer-paid payroll tax.

Paterson and Silver have indicated that they might support the Senate plan or a version of it - if Smith can get it through the Senate.

Democrats have a razor-thin 32-30 majority.

Paterson said Wednesday he wanted to discuss a "new idea" with legislative leaders to finally reach a deal.

"Hopefully that will end this process by the beginning of next week, I hope" Paterson said.

"It all depends on the ability of the legislators to come together right now and recognize that there has to be a compromise and I would hope that if any entire conference votes against the plan that would not be politically motivated."

A source said Paterson has some "enhancements" to the Senate bill in mind but wouldn't elaborate.

Under a doomsday budget adopted in December, subway, bus and commuter fares are set to rise by up to 30% in late May and early June.

Sweeping service cuts include eliminating nearly two dozen local bus routes in the city and two subway routes the (W) and (Z) lines barring an Albany bailout by next week.

The doomsday budget sequel would be more hurtful to transit riders than the first round.

That round of service cuts - most of which to be phased in between June and December - focused on low-ridership bus routes and redudant subway lines where riders have alternative travel options. The (W) and (Z) lines are slated to be cut later this year.

"Having said what we did before was doomsday, this is even worse," Sander said.

"The next ones that we will be looking at are that much more painful...I think some would view them as horrific."

"I'm not sure the English language captures what goes beyond doomsday but to me...as a transit

professional as a citizen and user of this system they are just unbelievably difficult and I think some would view them as horific."

Sander seemed to downplay repeated questions from reporters that the MTA might consider a fully citywide or partially shut down of the subway system that is done both in the U.S and internationally, like Boston, London and most other cities. In addition, almost all NYC overnight Bus routes could end as well as most weekend express subway and interborough express bus lines to and from Manhattan.

Still, he continued, "one can't say that anything is off the table." This is Sandler's first public reply to other rumored media and online accounts on what is in the possible Doomesday II service cuts.

Previous studies have shown that overnight shutdowns end up costing more. It can take some trains an hour to return to storage, and bus service is often required in exchange.

c)2009 NY Daily News.

Any reactions?

I think the last bit should explain why this is a horrible idea.

_______

And this is the Big Apple. What the hell do they think we would be taking without public transportation? A cab? I don't have that kind of money...

To me to end NY subway service at night? Hell if the (MTA) wanted to run a bus service between 207th St-Inwood in Manhattan & Far Rockaway, that trip even in the wee hours ould take 2 1/2-3 hours to make. Take into account traffic lights, passengers leaving and departing, etc.

Also where you store the trains?

It makes no sense. Even running the subway at LIRR-MNRR type 1-hour headways(i am not endorsing it just a thought)overnights is a better idea in worse case budget scnerios.

If this happens, the city will lose alot of money from the lose of night life in NYC. Who is going to want to go out on a night on the town when the trains stop at 12 or 1 am? I don't think this is anything more then a threat.

If this happens, the city will lose alot of money from the lose of night life in NYC. Who is going to want to go out on a night on the town when the trains stop at 12 or 1 am? I don't think this is anything more then a threat.

And do you think party animals would pay $20 or more for a cab ride?

Lousy transit service explains why I really don't go out on a regular basis. My bus system stops running after 6PM.

And do you think party animals would pay $20 or more for a cab ride?

When I went to school in Albany, NY it was one of the reasons I was glad to live downtown. The buses stopped at 1 and it's a college town, I never paid for a cab up there.

Chill. Did you forget the rules? No caps!

On topic, this is a bad idea. What about night shift workers or those stuck late in the office or something like that?

Do you really think the (MTA) beancounters care about you? These people don't even care about the night workers or anyone else. They don't ride subways or buses as a rule and certainly not in the outer boroughs at all. They are outside consultants who travel from city to city without any knowledge of the real world. I can think of overnight hospital, maintenance, theater, meat and fish market workers and Postal Service personnel workers offhand who travel to and from work at off hours. I'm sure there are many other professsions who will be hurt by these proposals.

As I've posted elsewhere.

(MTA) - making :septa: look competent.

Should have said (MTA) - Making PATCO look good. I mean PATCO runs 24/7 @ 30min headways in South Jersey. If PATCO can hold on then the (MTA)could also, but then again (MTA) doesnt have only one line to look after. Hell, the (MTA) might be in the baby stages of a system wide shutdown again. Spent all this money on CBTC, R160s, R160s, R160s, R143s, R142s, R142As, R142Ss, maybe this wouldnt be like this, but however the R142s were needed.

At the end of may, when it needs to have all its ducks in order to continue operating.... it won't.

People won't trust the subway to be on time or to be safe, or busses to be on time or not break down, and less people will ride and the next quarter will see even worse financial problems.

They are obviously not competent enough to handle their funding properly. Time to try something else.

- A

At the end of may, when it needs to have all its ducks in order to continue operating.... it won't.

People won't trust the subway to be on time or to be safe, or busses to be on time or not break down, and less people will ride and the next quarter will see even worse financial problems.

They are obviously not competent enough to handle their funding properly. Time to try something else.

- A

I'll buy the (MTA) for $5 :cool:

And thats a great deal for them because they are now losing the debt that I have to pay since I own it!

B)

People will go back to using cars though, because in the long run it'll end up being cheaper. And so much for going green - pollution shall return. They'll find a way to avoid mass transit when it becomes more expensive than cars....

I've heard before that a second Doomsday would also eliminate all LIRR service at night as well. Also reprehensible.

I don't even want to think about what else LI Bus riders (myself included) will go through. We'll be damaged enough from ONE Doomsday. ONE!

New York really will no longer be the city that never sleeps. Because sleep it will.

Two doomsdays will certainly be enough to cause a permanent mass exodus off NYC, Long Island, etc. IMO.

Archived