Dooomesday II Cuts: The end of all Overnight NYC subway service?

Who will run it afterwards?

Me! I'm buying the company for $5! great deal for them! They get out of their debt and get $5. And I can invest and actually run the system well and utilize customer feedback to make the system better so more people would be willing to ride. And I can make money off this investment of mine! ;) :cool: B)

Me! I'm buying the company for $5! great deal for them! They get out of their debt and get $5. And I can invest and actually run the system well and utilize customer feedback to make the system better so more people would be willing to ride. And I can make money off this investment of mine! ;) :cool: B)

Wow. Five bucks!?

No idea, all i know is that sometimes things need to change for things to improve.

- A

So let me get this straight. You think the (MTA) will shut down for some random reason in May, because "some things need to change".

I don't know if I understand you.

honestly, who uses the subway system during the late night hours. i am not allowed to be out after 10:00 p.m. maybe closing the subway during late nights is a good idea. my other favorite subway system is the world, moscow metro, is busier than new york and yet, it closes daily from 1 to 6 a.m. during that time, the system is cleaned and scrubbed from top to bottom. maybe that idea will work here as well.

honestly, who uses the subway system during the late night hours. i am not allowed to be out after 10:00 p.m. maybe closing the subway during late nights is a good idea. my other favorite subway system is the world, moscow metro, is busier than new york and yet, it closes daily from 1 to 6 a.m. during that time, the system is cleaned and scrubbed from top to bottom. maybe that idea will work here as well.

You only 19 years old. In couple of years assuming you still live in NYC, i am sure you change your mind/statement on ending late night service at 1am in NYC especially if you dating or hanging out on Friday/Saturday Night w/ friends.

Trust me on Friday/Saturday Nights the (4) and (6) especially between 14-Union Sq and around 86th St gets SRO crowded.

IMO worst case scenrio maybe have 30-minute headways but that it.

I have used it. So did my father when he was still alive and living in NY in 1970's-late '90's get off work at 1230am at the US Postal Service.

Plus Flushing Express where you store the trains? The yards are not designed to hold all of the NYC subway cars overnights.

Who uses the Subway at night? Lets see, Adults that don't have curfews, people that work late night graveyard shifts, people that are hanging around the city partying. I've ridden the subway at 2-4am and trust me, if it weren't for the Subway I wouldn't have gotten home from where I was at.

honestly, who uses the subway system during the late night hours.

I don't know who many times I have been on the subway in the hours from 1AM to 6AM and some lines have so many riders it looks like mid-day service. The night life in NYC depends on the late night subway service because not every one can take a cab from Mid-town all the way home to Brooklyn. Since 1904 the subway has run 24/7 so NYC culture is based around the fact that other then weekend or late night service disruption, the subway is always a way to get around town.

Guest Charles

It's a matter of efficiency, not cleanliness. You could wipe everything clean, scrub every car shiny, and pick up all the litter, but come morning rush, you ain't gonna find any New Yorker going "Ooh, I'm standing on a clean platform waiting for a shiny train!" They'd much rather have trains that arrive on time and get them to work on time. The subway's efficiency is vital to most New Yorkers. what if an emergency happens overnight? You need the subway as a form of transportation. Most people could care less about cleanliness. Of course you'll hear the occasional grumble about the lack of cleanliness, but what can you do about that? It's serving a city of millions, the system is 100+ years old, you've got a lot of cars + hundreds of miles of track to maintain, and factor in this economy. Figures that cleanliness is the least of the MTA's concerns. Overnight subway service is essential to NYC. Period.

Who uses the Subway at night? Lets see, Adults that don't have curfews, people that work late night graveyard shifts, people that are hanging around the city partying. I've ridden the subway at 2-4am and trust me, if it weren't for the Subway I wouldn't have gotten home from where I was at.

Great way to put it buddy. Without 24/7 subway service in NYC, they would traffic jams on the Brooklyn Bridge at even 2am in morning.

If this happens, the city will lose alot of money from the lose of night life in NYC. Who is going to want to go out on a night on the town when the trains stop at 12 or 1 am? I don't think this is anything more then a threat.

Agreed. On other hand i do think the MTA in doomesday II cuts will likely close more lightly used stations. One example could be the Rockaway Park (S) stops between Beach 116th and Broad Channel overnights is much more likely than a citywide late night shut down or the Franklin Ave (S) between 1-5am. Ending Overnight service on those two (S) shuttle lines is is much more likely than a citywide late night shut down.

Right now (i personally dont agree with the plan)the (R) stations in Lower Manhattan late nights served by the (N) between City Hall and Lawerence St is on the Doomesday Cuts planed to start at end of July '09.

Personally IMO only the Rector St and City Hall(if and when Corlandt St ever reopens) should be shut overnights.

Many people transfering from the SI ferry to either Brooklyn or Queens use the Bway Line at Whitehall. Not to mention if the Manhattan Bridge needs to close again.:tdown:

Ever wondered why the city is called "The City That Never Sleeps"?

Exactly. I've done it many times, as have many of my friends, whether it was a night out, or going to/coming from work. Last summer when I had to get out to the far southeast reaches of Brooklyn, waking up at 4am to get there, guess what I took to get there. And when I came back with a friend from a night out and one of the "entertainers" on the subway had a sense of humor so we were going back and forth with him amusing the passengers, it was a standing room only crowd...at 230 in the morning.

Not to mention every time I've stayed out late with friends, or been at one of their places and caught an early morning train and have NOT been the only person on the train.

Look, FlushingExpress you're a kid. If you don't need to take it that late, that's fine. Odds are if I was a parent I wouldn't want my kids going out at all hours of the night. But there are lots of workers - think of all the things you take for granted. Con Edison (electricity), phone, cable, internet - there is always someone working there to troubleshoot problems. 24/7 fast food, they have workers there, and not to mention an MTA employee who starts work at 6am in Far Rockaway and lives at 207 St will probably have to catch a train at 4am to get there. OK, so you shut the trains down overnight...perfect time to do maintenance right? But then the crews have to get to work, many of them use the system too.

The bottom line is a lot of people use overnight service, and putting the trains away and getting them back out, and having to physically close all of the stations would cost just as much if not more than just continuing to run them in service.

Exactly. I've done it many times, as have many of my friends, whether it was a night out, or going to/coming from work. Last summer when I had to get out to the far southeast reaches of Brooklyn, waking up at 4am to get there, guess what I took to get there. And when I came back with a friend from a night out and one of the "entertainers" on the subway had a sense of humor so we were going back and forth with him amusing the passengers, it was a standing room only crowd...at 230 in the morning.

Not to mention every time I've stayed out late with friends, or been at one of their places and caught an early morning train and have NOT been the only person on the train.

Look, FlushingExpress you're a kid. If you don't need to take it that late, that's fine. Odds are if I was a parent I wouldn't want my kids going out at all hours of the night. But there are lots of workers - think of all the things you take for granted. Con Edison (electricity), phone, cable, internet - there is always someone working there to troubleshoot problems. 24/7 fast food, they have workers there, and not to mention an MTA employee who starts work at 6am in Far Rockaway and lives at 207 St will probably have to catch a train at 4am to get there. OK, so you shut the trains down overnight...perfect time to do maintenance right? But then the crews have to get to work, many of them use the system too.

The bottom line is a lot of people use overnight service, and putting the trains away and getting them back out, and having to physically close all of the stations would cost just as much if not more than just continuing to run them in service.

Maybe Gov Paterson Macolm Smith Sheldon Silver and others from Albany that control the MTA purse strings need to understand that great comments too Subway Guy.:mad:

Perhaps NYC should emulate the DC Metro and only have late night service on Friday and Saturday nights. On other nights the system would shut down from 1AM to 5AM.

DC doesn't need it overnight. NYC needs it. DC is a commuter and office oriented city as far as its metro system. NYC has people that need to get places all hours. You want your office cleaned? Keep it open. You want hotels, night clubs, cafes, movie theaters to stay in business? Keep it open.

NYC is a true 24 hour city. I know. I've stayed awake 3 days in a row 3 times in a row, and i always had something to do and somewhere to go. I saw cops, workers of hotels cafes etc on the trains. Some are obviously busier lines than others at night, but there's never a time that every train is empty on a line.

- A

Perhaps NYC should emulate the DC Metro and only have late night service on Friday and Saturday nights. On other nights the system would shut down from 1AM to 5AM.

Have you lost your everlasting mind....sorry New York City don't copy or mock off other cities.....its called "The City That Never Sleeps". So you want ppl to be trapped somewhere in a borough where there's no trains and buses b/w the hours of 1AM-5AM? Cutting late night service is a huge mistake. If you feel so strongly against no late night service....more to D.C. and you'll def see how it is. I've been to D.C. 2x the 1st time I didn't like why b/c everything was shut down and I couldn't wait to head back to New York City!

How are you not allowed to use the subway past 10 PM? Your 19, you don't have to listen to your parents.

I've used the subway late at night when coming home from Met and Ranger games... with my dad and brother tho. My parents also let me use the subway late (like after midnight on a sat night) if I'm with friends.. honestly if you're with people there is not danger. I would even be afraid of going alone.

Archived