Wire problem from April 30

metsfan

Yea these are really old heritage cars, they are modern only in the sense that they are lightweight steel cars. Their design is very rudimentary and reeks of olden times. :):cool:

There is one horizon (pullman built) car that amtk keeps at NYP. For a while it was on the track farthest south in the yard there, but i've seen it over on the LIRR side too on those storage tracks. Dunno what they use it for.

- A

Are you talking about thew old Adirondack heritage car? Theres no Horizon in Penn, and all Amtrak Horizons are Bombardier built.

It's in the red white and blue paint from the 70's. That's all i really know about it. :)

- A

What's the configuration of a heritage car? Are they also built by Budd since they have that stainless steel exterior like the Amfleets?

Heritage cars were built by both Budd and Pullman, heritage cars are any car that came from railroads pre A-day. Heritage cars are still around in the form of diners and baggage cars. Until recently there were heritage dorms.

I'm no expert on this, but basically the heritage cars were rebuilt from cars inherited from predecessor railroads in order to get a more standardized rolling stock going on.

Like i said i'm no expert, but i believe many of these cars originally came into service in the streamliner era up into the 60's.

- A

Archived