Driving to 179th St and then taking the F

ncc1701

Hi All,

I currently take the LIRR to midtown everyday and have been for years but come June 1, I will no longer be able to afford it. My plan is to drive to the Jamaica 179th Street Station, somehow find parking in a residential street and then take the F to 42nd St. I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this, if someone can please enlighten me on what this is going to be like, I'd really appreciate it.

How easy is it to park around 179St? I have an old car so I'm not worried about it, I don't mind walking 10 minutes to get to the station if I have to park farther away. Any street near Midland parkway you can recommend?

How's the ride to midtown on the F? Is it really as slow as people say??

THANKS for your input!!

I don't know about the parking....I remember hanging out with a T/O years ago and sometimes he'll park his car behind the Astoria-Savings Bank on Hillside Avenue near Jamaica-179th Street (F) subway station and somewhere on the side streets off Hillside Avenue near Jamaica Estates. As of the (F) being slow its really not that slow....just waiting for a train duirng the morning is annoying b/c it seem like it takes forever and b/c sometimes they crawl behind the (E) trains during the morning rush!

If you want any chance of parking you must be there by 5-530 the latest. There is alternate side on most streets and ALOT of the houses made there own "illegal" driveways in front of there house. You can technically park there and block there car in because it is not an official driveway but they will wreck your car.

The ride in on the (F) is not that bad because you will have a seat since you're getting on at the first stop.

It would be quicker to just drive into manhattan but you can't park there either.

i do the same my friend......but parking your car in jamaica estates is the best bet because i personally think it is safer and also i feel safe walking there at 5am in the morning........yes there is alternative street parking so make sure u check the street signs before parking............in the mornings the (F) train is mostly on time but there are far too many bums on the train and some cars stinks..........but overall you will make good time into the city........B)

I'd say you're better off parking in a lot around Jamaica Center or Supthin BLVD.

At Supthin there is an older woman who has her own lot and charges $7 or something like that for all day parking. No time limit. My mom parks there when she takes the LIRR in some days.

You'll be able to park at 179 St if you don't mind walking a little bit. Generally you can find parking on Edgerton Blvd near Dalny Road which is about a 7 minute walk to the station. Any closer and you'll need a whole lot, and I mean a whole lot, of luck to find a spot. In this area there are no apartment buildings so finding parking is easy, but anywhere near Wexford Terrace and you'll be battling the residents for spots.

And whatever you do, please don't park your car behind the Astoria Bank on Hillside Ave because you'll certainly get your car towed.

As previously said, you can find parking if your early enough @ 179. Watch the signs by the schools, because there are restrictions school days for 'employee parking'. I check below Hillside too, sometimes you can luck out. I wouldn't worry too much about any crime to you personally, because most people up & about at that time are going to work.. Late nights are different.. Your car however, I recommend you put everything out of sight & make it look as plain jane as possible. Anything that sparks some characters interest can result in a broken window, CDs, sunglasses, any bags, ect. Mon Tues & Weds 71/ctl is hit or miss, again, if your early.. Forget Th/Fri's there.. Don't rule out parking at Lefferts Blvd, I used to score parking over there pretty easily. Pay attention to what days are more difficult at different locations; You may want to set up a schedule on where to park on the ease of finding spots..

• 3 weeks later...

I have parked near 179 and taken the F for years. You can always find street parking up near the parkway, on Croydon road, Henley Road, Wareham place or somewhere near there. I have never had a problem finding a parking place in this area at any time of the day.

If the weather is really bad, there's a parking garage in the basement of an apartment house on the NE corner of Edgerton and Hillside, not even 100 feet from the subway entrance.

Archived