A Nightmare of a Journey [4-30-09]

Mr. UTZ

So I wasn't sure whether to post this as a response to the new thread, but I thought what's the harm in posting this up B)

A lot of frustrating things happened to me from a commuter perspective but from a railfan perspective lots of wild stuff happened!!

So my journey was to Lexington Avenue and 96th street, to meet my friend who i hadn't seen in a long time for 5 pm. I left my house and walked to the Rockaway Avenue (3) train station. Waiting for the 148th ST bound (3) train, I so happen to see back to back New Lots bound (4) and (5) trains. That was high unlikely to see them back to back, but I chalked it up to the evening rush.

So the (3) comes and off I go to Utica Ave. fully intending to transfer to the (4) train until I hear:

"Ladies and Gentleman, due to a police investigation at Crown Heights- Utica, this (3) train will not be stopping at the station. For (4) or (5) service, transfer at Franklin"

So I'm like, "no biggie", Franklin it is! I get off on at Franklin and I look over at the other platform to see an empty Flatbush (5) train and crushloaded New Lots (3) train both being held in the station. That's when it slowly starts hitting me that something serious is up.

10 mins pass and i can hear this from the other platform from the (3) conductor, at the top of his lungs:

"All service between Franklin and New Lots has been suspended! This is a (3) train to Flatbush!"

WHOA. I'm thinking this is pretty rare, a Flatbush (3) train! :cool:

The (5) train that was there loads up and then eventually the (3) leaves too. So now i'm waiting for any (4) or (5) to come. 20 minutes later, a 238th st bound (5) comes which confuses me because i thought they only came from new lots ...but service was suspended? (maybe just downtown service?)

But I happily get on the train and roll on down the line. The passenger loads were a bit heavier than normal for an uptown Lex line at 4:30'ish but that was because it took a long time for the train to come. Fast forward to Fulton street.

(5) train conductor says : "Ladies and Gentleman because of train with mechanical problems at Brooklyn Bridge, we are being held at the station. We hope to be moving shortly"

OH NOOOOOOOOOOO! Anywhere but Fulton street to be stuck! All my grizzled Lex Av line veterans know what i'm talking about. Especially since I was stuck in the back car. You know how everyone sees the train and then RUNS! We were stuck there for about 25 mins...and people..kept on running in! It was horrendous. This wasn't the normal ridiculous crowding on the green lines, this was violation...all up in your business touching where you shouldnt be touching strangers :eek::confused:B)

(Does anyone know what actually happened at Brooklyn Bridge? The conductor kept switching the story from a mechanical issue to an issue with a passenger when he was updating us.)

So I'm already late to meet my friend, but dammit I'm still gonna make it! So fast forward between Brooklyn Bridge and 96th with a couple of notes:

-As the train was speeding along, you know how the train has those slight curves (especially between Brooklyn Bridge and 14th st) people were flying all over the place...hitting me...NOT PLEASANT :mad:

-I have never ever ever ever ever seen such crowded platforms on all the local stops ever! People were about to spill off the platform! Especially at 23rd, 28th and 33rd streets. Whatever the problem was at Brooklyn Bridge had to affected to (6) trains. To 14th street, my (5) train passed 5 or 6 (6) trains! (On a related note, i found out via those loud announcements at 86th street that there was also a signal problem on 14th street making all (6) trains run slow)

-People are AHoles. Three guys who were traveling together shoved their way in at Grand Central, screaming at the top of their lungs to move to f out of their way, the kings are here, and actually shoving people, including one woman with her child. That pissed me off, I hope they get run over by a train :mad:

- When i got on the <6> train at 86th trying to go to 96th, once again on a crushloaded train i was pressed up on people, but the person i was pressed up on was a very cute girl! she looked back at me and said it was ok and we made really really small talk but she was very pretty and DAMN i wish i got her number or something :eek:

I finally get to 96th street.........................an hour late :cry: My friend bounced thinking I forgot about her, so I called her, told her what I'm telling you wonderful people and she forgave me :cool:

I was hungry, so I grabbed something to eat and figured all the delays shouldn't last that long, so i go to broadway and 96th fully expecting all service to be restored and i can enjoy a one seat ride home

WRONG

So I get the 3 train at 96th street, and the conductor announces there is no Brooklyn (3) service. All (3) trains stopped at Times Square and turned back around. Alllllllllright, no biggie, i'll just wait for a 2 train. Fast forward to nevins street and I get off the two train, expecting to get a (4) to new lots.

WRONG :mad:

All (4) trains were stopping at Atlantic Avenue and turning back around. So I wait again for (2) train to get to President street to take a (3) shuttle bus

Very Important Sidenote: When I caught the following (2) train we went down to Atlantic Avenue and I saw the 4 train getting ready to go back to Woodlawn. However, the train was signed up as

(4) Woodlawn

(4) VIA PELHAM LINE

I have never seen such a notation before! Can someone please explain this to me? How often does the (4) do this? Did anyone get a picture of it? I'm so mad I didn't bring my camera:cry:

Fortunately, by the time the (2) train got to Franklin, (4) service was restored. I got on a 4 that had New Lots Ave/Eastern Pkwy LCL/Lexington Ave LCL as its rollsign.

...and i finally got back home. What a day, eh? :eek:

Wow. That was one helluva of a ride. I would have jumped ship at no (3) train service. At least you knew your way around especially on a bad day like this. (Weather wise) Your story also teaches me (and probably others) to always keep your camera around.

Wow....sorry you went through that. Damn I would love to see a (4) via Pelham Local. Also you can introduce yourself in the New Members Forum:tup:!

Well it makes for quite a story! :)

Yes, I'm still kicking myself for not having my camera on me. Altho i still dont get how the (4) can go to woodlawn via pelham... but it was great to see B)

and thanks! i shall go over to the new members forum

(3) to Flatbush! Great find man! Glad to see everything went alright. I actually hate it when people shove too. I'm not saying that my treatment to them was fair in revenge, but that's just me lol.

Thanks!:cool:

It was really pandemonium at Franklin, and people were pissssed.

Also, I hate those kind of people who push and shove their way around because they think they're bigger than everyone else. Ironically, of the 3, none of them couldnt have been over 6 feet or 180 lbs. :tdown:

Wow. That was one helluva of a ride. I would have jumped ship at no (3) train service. At least you knew your way around especially on a bad day like this. (Weather wise) Your story also teaches me (and probably others) to always keep your camera around.

YES. Hell, today i brought my point and shoot around with me just in case i caught something good, but no dice...........yet :cool:

My ride went to hell too.

My train literally crawled between 149th to Grand Central. I got off at Grand Central and took the 7 to avoid any possible delays.

Apparently cops shot a panhandler after the panhandler stabbed one of the men in blue.

How awful! That must have been stressful for you :eek:

what mystifies me the most, is the panhandler wanted a cigaretter, and when the undercover cop revealed himself, THEN the panhandler wanted to stab him. makes no sense ;)

(4).

Via Pelham.

Oh no, no! I knew it was the end of the world!

Anyway, great write up. I always laugh at people who run for a stuck train. And then, they look around as if to say, "I totally meant to do that."

And next time you get squished next to a pretty girl, be confident!

What happened on that day? o__O

That stabbing and shooting at Utica. Those 4 trains that went to Flatbush did say via Pelham line, due to the codes in the TOD, and that is the way the sign is displayed. Some (4) trains went to Brooklyn Bridge, some (5) went to the Green, (3) trains went far as 42st at a point, and yes the Lex did crawl. I was operating a S/B 5 train during that mess, and we crawled. Got to Flatbush 20 minutes late, and the next (5) in was mine to go. It was a disaster. I wonder how many said "is this what we pay for", when the MTA couldn't do a thing about this. NYPD says stop service do to an investigation, MTA must comply......

(4).

Via Pelham.

Oh no, no! I knew it was the end of the world!

Anyway, great write up. I always laugh at people who run for a stuck train. And then, they look around as if to say, "I totally meant to do that."

And next time you get squished next to a pretty girl, be confident!

I laugh at them too...except when they run so fast and ended up flying into me...then not so much. :tdown:

That reminds me of a story I had once along the (N) line. I was in a car that was absolutely crowded at the 59th- Lex Av station (Ditmars-bound) and there was really no room on the train but this guy kept shoving his way on. I mean actually putting his hand on my head and trying to shove me out the way. So I turn around and shove him so hard off the train he ended up hitting the floor. Am I proud? Nope. Do I regret it? Nope :cool:

I'm not too confident, but i'll try if there ever is a next time ;)

That stabbing and shooting at Utica. Those 4 trains that went to Flatbush did say via Pelham line, due to the codes in the TOD, and that is the way the sign is displayed. Some (4) trains went to Brooklyn Bridge, some (5) went to the Green, (3) trains went far as 42st at a point, and yes the Lex did crawl. I was operating a S/B 5 train during that mess, and we crawled. Got to Flatbush 20 minutes late, and the next (5) in was mine to go. It was a disaster. I wonder how many said "is this what we pay for", when the MTA couldn't do a thing about this. NYPD says stop service do to an investigation, MTA must comply......

Could you elaborate more on the bold? What's TOD? I'm clueless here.

I REALLY regret not getting a picture of it. Via the PELHAM LINE....i still dont get why that specfic notation...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived