Question about the (N) on weekends

Luis1985

No reason for it at all. The general super doesn't want Dekalb twr to throw switches to line up the routing for (D)(N)(R) trains. Duhhhhhhh? Gee, isn't that the purpose of having a tower? I guess he has too many wrong routes to explain this quarter and lost out on the bonus.

(NJT) :nec: :septa:

thats what i figured too, but im also thinking because of the budget gap, and soon the (M) will no longer run to Bay Parkway on the (D) line, the (N) would probably make the local stops between DeKalb Av and 59 St. i dont know, im just guessing.

Be thankful it's not operating via lower Manhattan

true, although im not happy with the closing of the Lower Manhattan (R) stations at night. it is good to have it run local via 4 Ave because the (R) is too slow.

No reason for it at all. The general super doesn't want Dekalb twr to throw switches to line up the routing for (D)(N)(R) trains. Duhhhhhhh? Gee, isn't that the purpose of having a tower? I guess he has too many wrong routes to explain this quarter and lost out on the bonus.

(NJT) :nec: :septa:

What happens is that they pester everyone for call letters, and that backs everything up. That's why the (N) goes at 12 minute headways whenever it runs anywhere with the (R) or (Q) where it it is not supposed to. (And think how much overtime they have been paying out with the supplements (Late clear/early report) let alone people who's jobs have been canceled, and can be on the clock up to 16 hours if they pick up a job off the board at the end of their original tour). All they have to do is put someone in the maintaner's panel room at Prince to call in what it is (they used to station someone on the platform at York or High to identify (A)'s or (F)'s.) When the (N)'s and ®'s need to be separated at gold St. Dekalb has camera's there, so I don;t know what the problem is. What they really need is to have N and R separate at the punch at Canal (and Grand). Makes no sense why they put them both on the same button, while B and Q have their own separate buttons, yet if they are both running on the same line in Manhattan, they will both be going the same place untin Prospect Pk, so can be treated as the same line. I guess the annunciator will be wrong, though.

Can somebody please explain to me why the (N) train has been running LOCAL in Brooklyn (DeKalb Av-59 St) for the past few weekends?

i probably did hear why but i forgot. Can somebody please refresh my memory?

I work on the R line midnights on saturdays, and this general order really sucks. The reason according to the G.O. is they are doing some tunnel rehabilitation between City Hall and Canal Street. They run the N local in Brooklyn to provide more service along 4th Avenue. The D goes express because it has nothing to do with the Broadway line. Hopefully this cleared it up a little bit.

It really seems as though they favor the 6th Avenue more than any other lines. The D is 24/7 Express in Manhattan and Brooklyn. During GOs on the Central Park West, the A was always chosen as the local while the C doesn't run and the D always fly by on the express. As we all know, the A is the longest line in the system and putting it on local is absolutely horrendous/unacceptable. During the late nights when the F still runs, the D is still express on 6th Avenue while on 8th Avenue, both the A and E runs local. Again on Central Park West, the D flies by the express, while the A crawls on the local. In Brooklyn during late nights, in spite of the D stopping at Dekalb Avenue with the N, it still flies on the 4th Avenue as the express, while the N crawls on the local. No what, where, and when, the 6th Avenue line always gets the best stuff. It's simply just not fair especially when one puts the longest line on the local, while a shorter line runs express.

It really seems as though they favor the 6th Avenue more than any other lines. The D is 24/7 Express in Manhattan and Brooklyn. During GOs on the Central Park West, the A was always chosen as the local while the C doesn't run and the D always fly by on the express. As we all know, the A is the longest line in the system and putting it on local is absolutely horrendous/unacceptable. During the late nights when the F still runs, the D is still express on 6th Avenue while on 8th Avenue, both the A and E runs local. Again on Central Park West, the D flies by the express, while the A crawls on the local. In Brooklyn during late nights, in spite of the D stopping at Dekalb Avenue with the N, it still flies on the 4th Avenue as the express, while the N crawls on the local. No what, where, and when, the 6th Avenue line always gets the best stuff. It's simply just not fair especially when one puts the longest line on the local, while a shorter line runs express.

Actually your 6th ave conspiracy theory is not true at all. The N/B (D) has to deal with 59 Master entering columbus circle which pretty much gives the (A) the go ahead while the (D) has to sit in the approach

As far as Brooklyn is concerned I've never met a TO or CR who LIKED Murphy tower or DeKalb so I'm inclined to think that those towers "screw everyone equally" :)

Actually, I've suffered through a few times in which our A train had to clear 2 trains; another A train closely in front of us and a D train sandwiched in at 59 St. Believe me, the crawl on the Central Park express was definitely not satisfactory at all.

Actually, I've suffered through a few times in which our A train had to clear 2 trains; another A train closely in front of us and a D train sandwiched in at 59 St. Believe me, the crawl on the Central Park express was definitely not satisfactory at all.

I used to and still am a VERY frequent Central Park Rider mainly because I live by the line. I've faced every single problem that you have claimed to have faced. During the weekends, the (D) frequently does go local while a common number of some (A)s go express. Why they do this, I don't know.

when the service-cuts changes begin, Will the (N) operate via 4 Av Local in Brooklyn with the (R), or will it still run via 4 Av Express with the (D)?

According to the (MTA), it's only supposed to run local in Manhattan since there will be no (W) service.

According to the (MTA), it's only supposed to run local in Manhattan since there will be no (W) service.

Local in Manhattan, and regular Express in Brooklyn. This is going to such b/c half of my beach travel from Manhattan will soon be down one of the worst locals in the system. They should seriously treat the Broadway line like the Lexington Line in having two expresses. For heaven's sake, nothing needs to supplement the R!

Local in Manhattan, and regular Express in Brooklyn. This is going to such b/c half of my beach travel from Manhattan will soon be down one of the worst locals in the system. They should seriously treat the Broadway line like the Lexington Line in having two expresses. For heaven's sake, nothing needs to supplement the R!

Well IMO, The (R) is slow sometimes during rush hours and the (N) provides extra service.

But please consider this, the R is crowdy but as crowdy as the F or A, and the R is always slow b/c it goes through Lower Manhattan. Those "extra N services" you were alluding to would just increase the congestion on the Broadway line. R trains would always have to yield to N trains crossing the Manhattan Bridge north of Canal St.

But please consider this, the R is crowdy but as crowdy as the F or A, and the R is always slow b/c it goes through Lower Manhattan. Those "extra N services" you were alluding to would just increase the congestion on the Broadway line. R trains would always have to yield to N trains crossing the Manhattan Bridge north of Canal St.

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up.

it would be good for the (N) to operate local between 57 St/7 Av, Manhattan and Canal St, Manhattan, via Manhattan Bridge, then local between DeKalb Av, Brooklyn and 59 St/4 Av, Brooklyn. let the (R) be the only train to operate via Lower Manhattan.

good or bad?

Archived