People who took the 8006 and BOSS exams

TrayNicole79

Hello everyone, new to the board as you can see.. I have been reading alot of the post VERY INFORMATIVE and alot of my question have been answered. I did take the 8006 exam last year for B/O and just recently recieved a letter for me to take the BOSS exam the end of this month. I was just curious to know if anyone who took the 8006 B/O exam took the Boss,drug,and med and are now in training. Im just curious to know how long the process will be for me. T.I.A

P.S. I am so excited..:):tup:

Hello everyone, new to the board as you can see.. I have been reading alot of the post VERY INFORMATIVE and alot of my question have been answered. I did take the 8006 exam last year for B/O and just recently recieved a letter for me to take the BOSS exam the end of this month. I was just curious to know if anyone who took the 8006 B/O exam took the Boss,drug,and med and are now in training. Im just curious to know how long the process will be for me. T.I.A

P.S. I am so excited..:):tup:

1st BOSS (Bus Operator Selection Survey), then drug alcohol (when they start the actual hiring process). This can be within a few weeks after the BOSS, to 1 year or more. Medical is after drug and alcohol, and is usually done the same day, you actually get hired (granted you pass the medical). Good luck........

1st BOSS (Bus Operator Selection Survey), then drug alcohol (when they start the actual hiring process). This can be within a few weeks after the BOSS, to 1 year or more. Medical is after drug and alcohol, and is usually done the same day, you actually get hired (granted you pass the medical). Good luck........

DOB2RTO: Chris went AWOL..nobody has seen him in here in awhile...would you happen to have any theories as to what may have happened to him?;)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

He's a B/O so he gets 4-5 weeks of vacation per year.

I was kidding... Not much vacation time as consultant.

Do you get that much as a new driver?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

I was kidding... Not much vacation time as consultant.

Do you get that much as a new driver?

I think Jah meant 4 or 5 days vacation.....never heard of anybody getting 4-5 weeks vacation into only their 2nd year of being on the job.

I think Jah meant 4 or 5 days vacation.....never heard of anybody getting 4-5 weeks vacation into only their 2nd year of being on the job.

I didn't know how much time he had. We get 4 weeks after 3 years on the job and 5 weeks after 15 years on the job.

1 month vacation after 3 yrs,sounds good to me. You don't have to take your vacation time all at once right?

You have to pick your vacation almost a year in advance. For T/O's all you can touch is Jan., Feb., March, and Novemeber for the first few years. Over 10 years to touch anything in the summer.

It most likely wouldn't happen but if you had 4 weeks and there were only 3 or 4 weeks available and they were all together then yes you would have to take them together.

You have to pick your vacation almost a year in advance. For T/O's all you can touch is Jan., Feb., March, and Novemeber for the first few years. Over 10 years to touch anything in the summer.

It most likely wouldn't happen but if you had 4 weeks and there were only 3 or 4 weeks available and they were all together then yes you would have to take them together.

@ My last job I was in the Teamsters you would have to pick one week and wait for the list to come back around to pick the next week. Is that how it is as a TO or BO

@ My last job I was in the Teamsters you would have to pick one week and wait for the list to come back around to pick the next week. Is that how it is as a TO or BO

In RTO we pick vacation at the end of the year for the following year. There is a list of all the weeks of the year numbered 1-52. When a week is filled it is highlighted. When it's your turn to pick based on seniority you pick whichever weeks you want that are available. You pick them all at once.

So all of those steps are before Zerega and the qualifying driving period. Do they pay you for training? Or does it all begin when you are line training at the depot that you picked?

So all of those steps are before Zerega and the qualifying driving period. Do they pay you for training? Or does it all begin when you are line training at the depot that you picked?

you start to get pay the 1st day report to zerega. that's your offical hire day. by the 1st week of line training, you should receive the 1st pay check. so after the line training (2 weeks qualifying + 6 weeks line training), you will have 2 months under your belt. 8 more months to go for probation.

btw, it's VERY important to remember the faces in zerega (instructor). don't forget;)

you start to get pay the 1st day report to zerega. that's your offical hire day. by the 1st week of line training, you should receive the 1st pay check. so after the line training (2 weeks qualifying + 6 weeks line training), you will have 2 months under your belt. 8 more months to go for probation.

btw, it's VERY important to remember the faces in zerega (instructor). don't forget;)

Very good,thanks ditja. So after those 2 months you have 8 more months of probation- your vacation time during your 1st yr..1 or 2 weeks?

Important to know the instructors names as well,lol. You did your qualifying on a RTS bus right?

Very good,thanks ditja. So after those 2 months you have 8 more months of probation- your vacation time during your 1st yr..1 or 2 weeks?

Important to know the instructors names as well,lol. You did your qualifying on a RTS bus right?

u will get 1 day vacation each month for 1st year. for example, if you start june this year, you will have 6 vacation days for 2010. you can have an option to choose between going for week or use it as AVA day(day you save from the hoilday). let's say you have 6 days, can either pick a week + 1 AVA day or 6 AVA days. if you pick 6 days and don't use them at the end of the year, you will get pay for it.

yes, i did it on RTS. and all of you will be. RTS is the official training bus. your instructor will put on the 2nd break every morning into the RTS. your goal is not to have him/her to use that :eek:

u will get 1 day vacation each month for 1st year. for example, if you start june this year, you will have 6 vacation days for 2010. you can have an option to choose between going for week or use it as AVA day(day you save from the hoilday). let's say you have 6 days, can either pick a week + 1 AVA day or 6 AVA days. if you pick 6 days and don't use them at the end of the year, you will get pay for it.

yes, i did it on RTS. and all of you will be. RTS is the official training bus. your instructor will put on the 2nd break every morning into the RTS. your goal is not to have him/her to use that :eek:

So basically the instructor sits next to you...close enough if he or she has to grab the steering wheel in case of an emergency.:eek:

I know that while I was taking driving lessons for my cdl on a school bus that was marked as a student driver bus,other cars and trucks tried to pass me all the time,that might be the most nerve wracking experience while qualifying...dealing with the traffic around you.

So basically the instructor sits next to you...close enough if he or she has to grab the steering wheel in case of an emergency.:eek:

I know that while I was taking driving lessons for my cdl on a school bus that was marked as a student driver bus,other cars and trucks tried to pass me all the time,that might be the most nerve wracking experience while qualifying...dealing with the traffic around you.

no, your instructor won't grab the steering wheel, just pull the brake to stop the bus. instructor will stand on the stair by the front door. watching his/her own mirrors and holding on the 2nd brake. the bus will have 2 sets of mirrors. 1 extra set is for them.

dealing with traffic isn't that bad, dealing with super tight turns in day 2 will make you piss your pant.

you do know that we have to set up our right side mirror the MTA way correct? wait until day 5, 6. bikes come up next to you from no where will scare the heck out of you

no, your instructor won't grab the steering wheel, just pull the brake to stop the bus. instructor will stand on the stair by the front door. watching his/her own mirrors and holding on the 2nd brake. the bus will have 2 sets of mirrors. 1 extra set is for them.

dealing with traffic isn't that bad, dealing with super tight turns in day 2 will make you piss your pant.

you do know that we have to set up our right side mirror the MTA way correct? wait until day 5, 6. bikes come up next to you from no where will scare the heck out of you

I heard about setting the right side mirrors up the mta way...that is where the blind spots are,I doubt it they are power mirrors that you can control from the inside.

On those tight turns,what happens if you have no other choice but to back up the bus a little bit?..make the turns at no more then 5mph right?

I heard about setting the right side mirrors up the mta way...that is where the blind spots are,I doubt it they are power mirrors that you can control from the inside.

On those tight turns,what happens if you have no other choice but to back up the bus a little bit?..make the turns at no more then 5mph right?

ok, it's very important for you guys to know this. 'MTA way' is set your right mirror pointing at the back wheel. not just blind spots, you are basically blind sided. all you see in your right side mirror is your back wheel, that's it. the key to drive like this is to protect your right side, don't let any car pass you from the right. how? keep your bus away from curbs/parked car 4 feet, so they don't have the space to pass. except for bikes, which i told you that's the hard part driving in manhattan day5,6. you won't see bikes coming from your right....

well, they do have power mirror on some RTSs.

any backup or hit the curb = fail for the day during training, if it happens in road test, you fail.

when you need to back up, that means either you didn't turn correctly, or it's physically impossible for the bus to make that turn . that's why you need to 'make the turn in your head 1st before your turn'. if you think it's too tight to turn. just stop and don't make the turn, tell your instructor it's too tight for the bus to turn. then 1. you won't fail the day because no need to back up 2. you are telling your instructor u think before u turn. a very smart move.

you can try to setup your own car's right side mirror pointing at the back wheel, then pratice how to position your car not to get pass by others:tup:

ok, it's very important for you guys to know this. 'MTA way' is set your right mirror pointing at the back wheel. not just blind spots, you are basically blind sided. all you see in your right side mirror is your back wheel, that's it. the key to drive like this is to protect your right side, don't let any car pass you from the right. how? keep your bus away from curbs/parked car 4 feet, so they don't have the space to pass. except for bikes, which i told you that's the hard part driving in manhattan day5,6. you won't see bikes coming from your right....

well, they do have power mirror on some RTSs.

any backup or hit the curb = fail for the day during training, if it happens in road test, you fail.

when you need to back up, that means either you didn't turn correctly, or it's physically impossible for the bus to make that turn . that's why you need to 'make the turn in your head 1st before your turn'. if you think it's too tight to turn. just stop and don't make the turn, tell your instructor it's too tight for the bus to turn. then 1. you won't fail the day because no need to back up 2. you are telling your instructor u think before u turn. a very smart move.

you can try to setup your own car's right side mirror pointing at the back wheel, then pratice how to position your car not to get pass by others:tup:

Excellent advice/tips. It never amazes me to see how stupid some drivers are when they try to squeeze through on the right side when the bus is starting to make a right turn.

No need for a b/o to turn his head around to look on his right side through the side passenger windows. Always look straight ahead and of course to the 3 mirrors of the bus.

Youtube has a lot of good instructional videos about buses.

Excellent advice/tips. It never amazes me to see how stupid some drivers are when they try to squeeze through on the right side when the bus is starting to make a right turn.

No need for a b/o to turn his head around to look on his right side through the side passenger windows. Always look straight ahead and of course to the 3 mirrors of the bus.

Youtube has a lot of good instructional videos about buses.

Thanks for the tips guys.. Hopefully not too long before we can put them to use.

Archived