North Jersey Coast Line and the Breeders' Cup

Earle Baldwin

It sounds as though the races sure kept the NJCL busy. I think the combination of inclement weather plus the spectre of heavy traffic and high parking fees provided the impetus for more folks to ride the train. People told me they were charging $35 to park. The area surrounding Monmouth Park gets crazy enough on Haskell day, let alone the world championship of the sport.

Earle

my friend who went to the Breeder's cup said it was horrible. he told me that he thinks that NJ Transit was not prepared for the crowd, and there were too many people. also he said for some strange reason they only let the Breeders Cup people ride in the first three cars of the train.

my friend who went to the Breeder's cup said it was horrible. he told me that he thinks that NJ Transit was not prepared for the crowd, and there were too many people. also he said for some strange reason they only let the Breeders Cup people ride in the first three cars of the train.

Well, what happened was, NJT didn't add any extra runs on the NJCL for the Breeder's Cup events. And the thing about the first three cars, I doubt that was the case with what you stated. They probably only loaded and unloaded, or better yet, to say it better, platform the first three cars at Monmouth Park. So people had to head up to at least one of the first three cars to get out and then ppl had to get on in one of the first three cars then can move throughout the train from there.

Well, what happened was, NJT didn't add any extra runs on the NJCL for the Breeder's Cup events. And the thing about the first three cars, I doubt that was the case with what you stated. They probably only loaded and unloaded, or better yet, to say it better, platform the first three cars at Monmouth Park. So people had to head up to at least one of the first three cars to get out and then ppl had to get on in one of the first three cars then can move throughout the train from there.

I agree because the stations there are no more than a small slab of concrete on the ground...

Archived