New York's July 4 fireworks to move to Hudson River

mark1447

fireworks.jpg

The city’s July 4 fireworks display will be shifted to the Hudson River this year, angering some New Yorkers who have come to expect the show over the East River.

“It’s unfair,” said Johnny Scott, 51, an Army veteran who lives in Long Island City. “The West Side Highway, it’s crowded and congested. They should put it in a central spot where everyone could see it.”

Macy’s, which sponsors the fireworks, will have six barges in the Hudson, from 24th to 50th Street.

The annual pyrotechnics, which have been launched from the East River almost every year since 1983, were moved to honor Henry Hudson. This year marks the 400th anniversary of Hudson’s exploration of the waterway that now bears his name.

The 26-minute show, starting at 9 p.m. on July 4, will feature some 40,000 shells, and viewing areas will be set up along the West Side Highway, Orlando Veras, a Macy’s spokesman, said yesterday.

Tony Raouf, who owns the Riverview restaurant on Long Island City, said the fireworks had been a boon to his business.

“It’s a big day for all of the neighborhood,” he said. “We wait for that day. It’s like New Years Eve.”

Of course, residents of the Upper West Side, who will now have a front row seat to the show, embraced the shift.

“That would be swell,” said Claudia Gowling, 58. “I usually go up on the roof and watch the fireworks in New Jersey but this will be better.”

Melinda Hsia contributed to this story.

Source: AM-New York

May 4, 2009

Well this sucks, now its gonna be more crowded seeing people over the East River will be in manhattan. And also NJ will also have a part too.. No offence, just gonna be more people, instead of a nice view from manhattan, queens and Bklyn =/

That is just stupid. The East River is the best spot, people from Queens & Brooklyn can see the fireworks from their area. Now its going to be shifted over where New Jersey/Jersey City will get the view.

The west side had a huge turnout for the "queens" in 2004. Was cold, but countless people flocked to the west side to see the venerable QE2, and the massive QM2 float down the river with fireworks as they paused near liberty island.

I plan to watch from hoboken terminal if i go.

- A

This is very stupid, the West Side highway, I suppose will be used for viewing, but it is street level so, it's not like on the East Side, and the West Side is more quiet, and it doesn't look that great, unlike the East Side.

Yeah and FDR drive is more of an elevated freeway, good for viewing, unlike westside..

Yeah and FDR drive is more of an elevated freeway, good for viewing, unlike westside..

There is a park all the way from something around 120th st all the way down to the battery. West street has nothing to do with this, aside from you cross it to get to the park.

There's nothing to be elevated over, it's a clear view to NJ along 95% of the stretch.

- A

This is bullcrap. The Brooklyn Bridge was the perfect backdrop for fireworks. People from Brooklyn and Roosevelt Island could see it as well as people from Manhattan. They totally screwed the show up.

It's just one year!

- A

It's just one year!

- A

It doesnt say only this yr, it says that it will begin this yr. And who knows if this could be permanent. Unless im wrong, which i dunno~

What's the point of moving it, exactly?

Actually, I think a good idea for the fireworks would be at Randall's Island, in the middle of the city.

The article says it's being moved this year because its the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson exploring the route.

There is a park all the way from something around 120th st all the way down to the battery. West street has nothing to do with this, aside from you cross it to get to the park.

There's nothing to be elevated over, it's a clear view to NJ along 95% of the stretch.

- A

That is correct, there is a park along that section

Hey, Jersey gets an unobstructed view of the show for the first time.

Archived