Serious signal problems threaten morning peak trains.

metsfan

Service Advisory

SIGNAL PROBLEMS MAY IMPACT MORNING SERVICE ON NORTHEAST CORRIDOR AND NORTH JERSEY COAST LINE - WEDNESDAY, MAY 6 *

Issued: May 05, 2009

Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line service may experience delays and cancellations during the morning peak period Wednesday, May 6, due to ongoing Amtrak signal problems near Newark Penn Station.

Amtrak crews will continue working through the night in an effort to make repairs. However, we cannot yet be assured that the problem will be resolved by tomorrow morning's commute. As a result, we urge all Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast and connecting Raritan Valley Line customers to check http://www.njtransit.com before starting their trip and to allow extra travel time. We will continue to update our website throughout the night as new information becomes available, and My Transit alerts will be sent starting at 5:15 a.m. with the latest service information.

Midtown Direct service is not expected to be impacted tomorrow morning.

At approximately 3:30 p.m. this afternoon, Amtrak reported signal problems in the area of Newark Penn Station that prevented dispatchers from moving trains using the illuminated signals on the tracks. As a result, all Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line and Amtrak trains were required to stop at each signal and request verbal permission to proceed, a labor-intensive process that significantly reduced the throughput of trains. We operated using these procedures throughout the evening peak period.

Consequently, most Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line trains experienced significant congestion-related delays through the Newark area, as many of you experienced firsthand. In some cases, we combined trains in an effort to reduce congestion and minimize delays. Many combined trains reported standing-room-only conditions, and were further delayed en route making all local stops.

We apologize for the delays and inconvenience this evening and thank you for your patience. If you have additional questions or comments regarding this evening's service, please contact us online at http://www.njtransit.com or by calling NJ TRANSIT Customer Service at 973-275-5555.

-----------------------------------------------

Wow, this one got past me earlier, mainly because i was hooking up my new router. Combined trains, manual verification, all local stops? Jeeze i'm glad i didn't go to nyc yesterday as planned, i woulda been stuck on one of those trains. I know amtk does work hard, but wow. If one system can spectacularly fail with fireworks and a parade sans casualties, it's rail transport. Kudos to those working to fix the issue & hope it doesn't happen again for several years or more or ever. :eek:

- A

Archived