Lettered subway lines to come under new management, which officials hope will mean fe

The lettered subway lines are coming under new management - a move transit officials hope will mean fewer delays.

NYC Transit this summer will put a general manager in charge of each lettered line, expanding a program some credit with improving the on-time performance on the IRT or numbered routes.

The general manager's program establishes a clearer chain of command and accountability for each subway route - with a GM at the top, NYC Transit President Howard Roberts said.

"If you have a single individual focusing on everything that happens or doesn't happen on a given line, you're going to see improvements," Roberts said.

The new structure debuted on the No. (7) and (L) lines in December 2007, and spread to the entire IRT last fall.

Workers across several departments, from station cleaners to signal maintainers, march to the orders of their line manager, not division bosses.

In March, on-time performance of the numbered lines increased by about 3%, according to Louis Brusati, one of two supervising general managers.

On one West Side line, on-time performance jumped more than 11%, he said.

Roberts credited a new approach to maintaining signals and handling sick passengers on trains.

The No. (4) line has had the worst on-time record, as riders squeezing onto packed trains cause delays that ripple along the line.

But in March, the Lexington Ave. express moved up from the bottom of the heap, beating two other hyper-busy lines - the (E) and (F), Roberts said.

Transit advocates welcomed the program's expansion.

"It has improved subway service to have one official directly in charge of a line," Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign said, "so it makes sense to appoint line general managers throughout the system."

BY Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

May 5th 2009

post-5-133288580611_thumb.jpg

post-5-133288580611_thumb.jpg

This is the reason why the MTA's employee budget is overblown, all these useless and highly paid managers managing other managers that manage supervisors that supervise the blue collar workers.

It's shocking to me that at a time when the MTA is crying poverty and getting more of our tax dollars that nobody is making an issue of this wasteful program.

This program doesn't remove or reassign any of the managers/ superintendents that are already in place. What it does is put 3 more layers of managers on top of them.

For those who don't know exactly how this works here is a breakdown for the B division which the article was about.

Each section will get a general manager there are 3 sections.

Each line will get a general manager AND an assistant general manager, there are 15 lines.

That's 33 NEW managers.

Each section has a general superintendent.

Each line has a line superintendent and 3 deputy superintendents.

Thats 63 managers already in place.

There will be appr. 96 MANAGERS in the B division when this program takes effect, and that is just for RTO!!!!

Some people are saying that this program will eliminate some positions. There is no evidence of this because in the A division where it has been in effect for a while not 1 superintendent has been removed. I have spoken to a few managers who went to all of the meetings about this program and was told that it was never mentioned that ANY superintendents would lose there jobs. The TA only cuts from the bottom, the lowest paid employees.

The lowest paid of these managerial positions is deputy superintendent at $101,000/ year!

The only thing they did in A Div was Cut the Assistant Chief Transportation Officer Now Line Manager of the (4) GC. Then the two Gen Supts for the district but that is it. One Gen Supt was sent to B Div the other Depty Line Manager for the (5) Line.

Now they got the money time for more overpaid new bosses got to love it!

I guess it's a little irrelevant, but there needs to be some grammar work on the part of the author:

The new structure debuted on the No.(7) and (L) lines in December 2007, and spread to the entire IRT last fall.

There needs to be a minor revision to the sentence. The sentence as is seems to imply that the (L) is an IRT line, which as we all know, it is not. It should be broken down into two sentences as such:

The new structure debuted on the No. (7) and (L) lines in December 2007. In fall of 2008, it was introduced to the entire IRT system.

The two sentences present it as two separate ideas, rather than one idea feeding off another.

Anyway to the point:

Is the line management really that effective? I think it's a rather frivolous positon.

The only thing they did in A Div was Cut the Assistant Chief Transportation Officer Now Line Manager of the (4) GC. Then the two Gen Supts for the district but that is it. One Gen Supt was sent to B Div the other Depty Line Manager for the (5) Line.

Now they got the money time for more overpaid new bosses got to love it!

So if they "cut" the 3 general superintendents in the B no money is getting saved because they will be replaced by higher paid general managers and asst. gm's. Plus they don't get rid of the no longer needed superintendents they just reassign them or make up a job for them to do at $130,000+ a year.

It really is disgusting that the TA ALWAYS has money for upper management but NEVER for the employees that actually move over 7 million people a day safely and relatively on time.

I hope the (MTA) would really make some good moves. Remove double managers, like keep the managers but kick out the supervisiors. Managers can be fused with supervisors so one guy can manage a whole line.

While that is getting taken care of, I really hope this'll improve the service on the Lettered Lines, :P!

Yeah but these line managers are paid more than the other guys. Is that saving money?

Here's a word that the MTA should learn from us: NECESSITY.

I hope the (MTA) would really make some good moves. Remove double managers, like keep the managers but kick out the supervisiors. Managers can be fused with supervisors so one guy can manage a whole line.

Managers and supervisors are different and both are necessary. They do need managers just not so many. If they want to assign general managers to each line then ALL of the superintendents should be fired in a cost saving move.

They can a general manager and assistant general manager for each line and eliminate at least 60 superintendents!

There will be appr. 96 MANAGERS in the B division when this program takes effect, and that is just for RTO!!!!

Some people are saying that this program will eliminate some positions. There is no evidence of this because in the A division where it has been in effect for a while not 1 superintendent has been removed. I have spoken to a few managers who went to all of the meetings about this program and was told that it was never mentioned that ANY superintendents would lose there jobs. The TA only cuts from the bottom, the lowest paid employees.

The lowest paid of these managerial positions is deputy superintendent at $101,000/ year!

Of course on paper you'll have LESS superintendents, because some were PROMOTED to newly created positions! :mad: A manager who attended the 2 Bway RTO meetings said that along with the NEW TITLES, came new RAISES!! 30-40K annually! :eek::eek:

And the cost savings came from where exactly?!?!?

Of course on paper you'll have LESS superintendents, because some were PROMOTED to newly created positions! :mad: A manager who attended the 2 Bway RTO meetings said that along with the NEW TITLES, came new RAISES!! 30-40K annually! :eek::eek:

And the cost savings came from where exactly?!?!?

As far as I know none of the promotions to gm or ass. gm was to anyone that wasn't at least a deputy superintendent already. From various departments and agencies within the MTA. So yes technically you may have less superintendents but you will have ALOT more managers. And that's only if they weren't "replaced" at the old position. Superintendents are managers.

Alot of this building up support for Line GM is BS. Tthey keep saying it will improve service like it did in the A Div and (L) Line. Then they say everyone answers to the GM. Ok I did the (L) Line for one pick with this program in effect I never met,see or took orders from the (L) GM. All orders to me were giving from the (L) Train Dispatchers and Train Service Supervisors and the Rail Control Center. Any incident like any where else they talk to Local supervison and Control then see Labor Relations downtown.

Now the improve service how can you do that when you have lines crossing each other in the B Div? Did service in A Div really improve?? The (L) didn't improve all they did was put fancy screens to tell you when the next train is which was going to be done anyway.

Also like what was said if they going to hire Line GM and Group Mgr they need to eliminate the Supt in charge of all those Dept on the line. If you want to say everyone answers to one man then let it happen for real.

Alot of this building up support for Line GM is BS. Tthey keep saying it will improve service like it did in the A Div and (L) Line. Then they say everyone answers to the GM. Ok I did the (L) Line for one pick with this program in effect I never met,see or took orders from the (L) GM. All orders to me were giving from the (L) Train Dispatchers and Train Service Supervisors and the Rail Control Center. Any incident like any where else they talk to Local supervison and Control then see Labor Relations downtown.

Now the improve service how can you do that when you have lines crossing each other in the B Div? Did service in A Div really improve?? The (L) didn't improve all they did was put fancy screens to tell you when the next train is which was going to be done anyway.

Also like what was said if they going to hire Line GM and Group Mgr they need to eliminate the Supt in charge of all those Dept on the line. If you want to say everyone answers to one man then let it happen for real.

I only saw the (L) line manager once when they were rolling out the program on the (L), never saw him again.

Let's face it folks, ish isn't gonna change until the state really finds itself in a fiscal pickle (research NYC 1975). Once the sky really truly does start crashing down budget wise, only then will we finally see the real sets of books.

Archived