MTA 'doomsday' scenario averted as Gov. Paterson, legislature reach deal

How do you think the trains will get from LIC to GCT?

63rd st tunnel. Right now the LIRR part (lower level) is just a basic straight shot through roosevelt island, however you could easily put a station there. They need to at least put an emergency exit there, since it's in the middle and a safe place for people to go. In the future if funding becomes available you could put a station there once ESA becomes active without affecting train traffic much since all of the work would be on the sides.

If i've learned one thing in my short time here on this planet, is that when it comes to transportation projects -anything- is possible.

- A

Sorry, a shell of a station and a tunnel are two different things.

Sorry, a shell of a station and a tunnel are two different things.

Ya, i know. They could simply build it and keep it closed if it doesn't work and use it only for emergency weirdness at GCT. Similar to the P train for issues at penn station.

- A

IMO i think the payroll taxes should have gone to car owners who own SUV's and other gas gusling vechiles. I own a normal full size sedan and living in Dutchess County i now must pay about another $25-30 to renew my drivers license later this year.

I dont mind a small fee ie 10 bucks higher to renew my drivers license and save the MTA/Metro North but as much as $50 that too much. And i live in an area where a car is not a luxury.

I await both Metsfan and Julio to defend this bailout.

Everything in PA relating to vehicle documentation including photo ID and permits and such is 25 or 35 dollars and has been for at least 8 years. Then again we do have more roads than NY.

- A

IMO i think the payroll taxes should have gone to car owners who own SUV's and other gas gusling vechiles. I own a normal full size sedan and living in Dutchess County i now must pay about another $25-30 to renew my drivers license later this year.

I dont mind a small fee ie 10 bucks higher to renew my drivers license and save the MTA/Metro North but as much as $50 that too much. And i live in an area where a car is not a luxury.

I await both Metsfan and Julio to defend this bailout.

How about carbon taxes vs payroll taxes? I think NY as a state has been knocked over the head by this (MTA) fiasco. I stick by my idea to split up the (MTA) and totally reorganize from the ground up.

- A

Ya, i know. They could simply build it and keep it closed if it doesn't work and use it only for emergency weirdness at GCT. Similar to the P train for issues at penn station.

- A

Yeah but if there is going to be a problem at GCT, why would trains be diverted into the tunnel in the first place? They would all go to Penn instead, like now.

Yeah but if there is going to be a problem at GCT, why would trains be diverted into the tunnel in the first place? They would all go to Penn instead, like now.

Seeing as NYP is all ready at peak capacity, that wouldn't work. People could get (F) into manhattan. Turn the train, rinse & repeat. Not ideal, but what emergency situation is?

Trust me i've given this a -lot- of thought over the last 5 years. ;)

- A

Seeing as NYP is all ready at peak capacity, that wouldn't work. People could get (F) into manhattan. Turn the train, rinse & repeat. Not ideal, but what emergency situation is?

Trust me i've given this a -lot- of thought over the last 5 years. ;)

- A

Roosevelt Island would be an inadequate terminal.

I'm sure the planners also designed emergency exits to exist underneath the Roosevelt Island (F) station.

In the event that something happened at GCT, the dispatcher at HAROLD could instruct trains entering the tunnel to halt, and any trains in the tunnel to reverse out.

How about carbon taxes vs payroll taxes? I think NY as a state has been knocked over the head by this (MTA) fiasco. I stick by my idea to split up the (MTA) and totally reorganize from the ground up.

- A

That my friend (Metsfan) I agree with either a massive make over or scrap the (MTA) is needed. It should be and maybe happening now that at least shake up is starting with the recent Sandler depature to start.

Archived