Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Brooklyn Bridge Park

3508213636_ea1a9c154b_b.jpg

Not too bad for a kit lens (the original Nikkor 18-55), this shot looked a lot different before I adjusted curves. Whaddya think?

manual exposure and shutter speeds? what you use?

Thanks guys. I'll have to head back to this spot one of these days and refine my technique.

manual exposure and shutter speeds? what you use?

I shot this in aperture priority, 10s @ f/8; ISO 100. I think it needed a little noise reduction, don't remember if I had it enabled back then. Once you get over 5s exposures the sensor gets a little "hot".

Thanks guys. I'll have to head back to this spot one of these days and refine my technique.

I shot this in aperture priority, 10s @ f/8; ISO 100. I think it needed a little noise reduction, don't remember if I had it enabled back then. Once you get over 5s exposures the sensor gets a little "hot".

f/8 FTW. Excellent shot, I have also been planning to take some non transit related pictures around the city too.

"f/8 and be there."

I just realized that the white balance is probably off in this shot too, shoulda shot raw. :confused:

Nice pic! Last year I was down in the park and almost got arrested for using a tripod so be careful if you enter the park itself.

According to the cop/park ranger since the Brooklyn bridge park is federal property you are not allowed to shoot pictures to be used commercially.

Dont know if I believe that but I didnt take any chances

Nice pic! Last year I was down in the park and almost got arrested for using a tripod so be careful if you enter the park itself.

According to the cop/park ranger since the Brooklyn bridge park is federal property you are not allowed to shoot pictures to be used commercially.

Dont know if I believe that but I didnt take any chances

I believe Brooklyn Bridge Park (and Empire-Fulton Ferry State Park) are together a state/city joint thing. I never saw any "rangers" down there when I went, either. I shot this one well-into the park, I had the tripod on the rocks (about 3 feet from water). If that tripod gave way, id've cried. :cry:

Excellent job! its very red lol

Yeah, never thought to do a dark frame subtraction. When you do extended exposures like this one (10 seconds) the heat of the sensor causes it to go a little wacky. A dark frame is another identical length exposure taken with the lens cap on, to record any possible hotspots in the image. Using layers in Photoshop, you can cancel out anomalies, which I believe the red cloud is one.