Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Myrtle Local

Sander resigns! Pressure from Patterson

MTA Chief Executive Officer Elliot Sander resigned Thursday, just hours after after Gov. Paterson said he wanted to overhaul the troubled transit agency.

Sander's resignation was accepted by Paterson the day after state lawmakers approved a $2.3 billion bailout for the cash-strapped authority.

"I've been in government long enough to understand governors, mayors, presidents have the prerogative to have people in positions they feel comfortable with and have the right to make their own appointments," Sander said.

Sander expressed deep disappointment at leaving the helm of the country's largest transit system, saying it was his "dream job."

[float=right]amd_elliot-sander.jpg

Smith for News

Elliot G. Sander resigned as MTA CEO after

Gov. Paterson spoke of plans to overhaul

the transit agency.[/float]Paterson, in a visit to a subway station Thursday, said he was going to "cleanup and cleanout" the MTA and install new leadership.

"The one thing I've learned in this process is the public doesn't trust anything the MTA says," he said.

Sander and MTA Board Chairman Dale Hemmerdinger were picked by former Gov. Eliot Spitzer more than two years ago.

The $2.3 billion bailout plan approved by lawmakers Wednesday allows the MTA to scale-back planned fare and toll hikes, and cancel deep service cuts.

The bailout legislation also merged the unsalaried Hemmerdinger's part-time board chairmanship with the chief executive officer slot.

To clear the way for the merger of responsibilities, the legislation ends Hemmerdinger's term in just 30 days. It was set to continue into 2011.

Sander will stay in his post for two weeks. He is entitled to a year's salary under a severance package he previously reached with Hemmerdinger.

Sander said he was proud of his tenure and achievements, including: record-high on-time performance by the commuter railroads, reorganization of subway management; the merger of three bus divisions; and customer service improvements like email alerts about service disruptions.

BY Pete Donohue AND Glenn Blain

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

May 7th 2009

post-1039-133288580614_thumb.jpg

post-1039-133288580614_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trainspotter

The MTA like the feds did with the banks and the automakers ie GM, will get a huge makeover after this bailout.

I dont think it was Sandler's fault with the MTA Budget crisis during his short 2-plus year stint. IMO I thought he did a good job. I like his candid no "BS" approach during his appeal to bail out the agency. The problems occurred long before Sandler became MTA boss.

Hopefully Paterson appoints a person who most important has Transit Management experience. And not another political appointment based on friendship or other partisan politics.

Appoint me! :cool:

- A

Buddy i think thousands of people also would love to have that MTA boss job as well lol. Would you accept the company car and bodyguard/chaffeur as well lol?:P:cool:

Patterson will appoint the successor? dear god, we are doomed.

Hopefully Paterson appoints a person who most important has Transit Management experience. And not another political appointment based on friendship or other partisan politics.

Do you have any faith in Paterson making a good appointment? I sure don't.

Just got this in E-mail & was coming to post it, but I was late to the game!:cry:

I'll be tossing my hat into the arena as well, I really could use that $4000 monthly housing stipend! ;):)

Funny thing is we were just posting about this type of major shakeup on another thread about the bailout.

Think the Gov has someone monitoring the forums to get the "NYC Transit Experts" opinions?!?! :P

Funny thing is we were just posting about this type of major shakeup on another thread about the bailout.

Think the Gov has someone monitoring the forums to get the "NYC Transit Experts" opinions?!?! :P

Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened on a forum.

- A

Do you have any faith in Paterson making a good appointment? I sure don't.

Neither do I, if Spitzer was still governor, you think he would have made good appointments?

Neither do I, if Spitzer was still governor, you think he would have made good appointments?

Yeah because Spitzer appointed Sander and he was doing a pretty good job. And he was actually qualified for the job.

The guy being rumored to be Patersons pick has no background in this field.

Well seems like the Chairman could take his place according to WNBC 4 news, just saw like a min ago.

Greeeeeeeeat. :cry:

I don't think I'd want Hemmerdinger, either.

Yeah because Spitzer appointed Sander and he was doing a pretty good job. And he was actually qualified for the job.

Before this fare hike fiasco, he did things smoothly.

But oh my God, I have no idea who the new guy will be.

You know, Paterson can't really see what's going on. *pun intended*

Man, I hate what will happen. Eliot Sanders actually can do the Chair/CEO postion perfectly. I believe Eliot Sanders should be appointed to the Chair/CEO position but he resigned since the panicky Govenor Paterson reacted too agressivly.

I feel like the (MTA) is left in a bad shape without Eliot Sanders who did remarkably since being appointed. I just cannot believe Mr. Sanders going resign, ;).

I hope the new guy would have some background on the (MTA) or I would rather have Dale Hemmerdinger do the job, :).

Hemmerdinger carrer before being (MTA) Chair is a real estate mogul. Hemmerdinger was appointed by Gov Spitzer according to many people as a political thank you for being a huge campaign donor on his election to Governor.

I rather an 'qualified' outsider from another transit agency than Hemmerdinger. Or let Sandler get the new combined MTA boss job.

It's all speculation right now but the rumor is that Paterson's senior advisor Marc Shaw is the leading candidate for the job. He is not at all qualified for this position.