Texting causes another incident, this time it's MBTA.

metsfan

CNN) -- The operator of the trolley that rear-ended another trolley Friday night in downtown Boston, Massachusetts, has told investigators that he was text messaging at the time of the accident, which injured 20 people, a transit official said.

art.boston.crash.whdh.jpg

Passengers walk past firefighters at a Green Line

station in Boston after trolley collision Friday evening.

"The operator of the striking train was interviewed at the hospital by two detectives," said Daniel Grabauskas, general manager of the Metropolitan Boston Transit Authority. "He admitted that he was texting at the time of the accident."

Grabauskus said the operator told detectives that, when he looked up, "it was too late as he applied the brake and the train struck the other trolley."

Grabauskus described himself as "outraged."

"We have reinforced for a number of years that the use of cellphones or any other kinds of electronic devices while operating a train or a bus is absolutely prohibited," Grabauskus said.

Though the investigation is ongoing, he said, the 24-year-old, two-year veteran will be fired if his version of events is confirmed.

None of the injuries was considered life-threatening, the MBTA said.

The incident happened at 7:18 p.m. as the Green Line trains were traveling between the Park Street and Government Center stations in downtown Boston.

Both trains were traveling westbound when one trolley rear-ended the second, an MBTA official said.

------------------------------------

:mad::tdown:

HELLO STOP TEXTING! :mad:

- A

thats so amazing once again you have people like this that shouldnt have a job come on now you are and trolly operator and its just like a bus operator. it is your job to ensure the safety of your passengers. not go texting when working its not the time for it. do it on your break.those twenty people got hurt because you were doing a small stupid act "texting"=wrong.

thats so amazing once again you have people like this that shouldnt have a job come on now you are and trolly operator and its just like a bus operator. it is your job to ensure the safety of your passengers. not go texting when working its not the time for it. do it on your break.those twenty people got hurt because you were doing a small stupid act "texting"=wrong.

you took the words out of my mouth Tom.its people like this that are idiots you have a huge responsibility to ensure the protection and safe transportation of your passengers.do your job right.Drive safe.

What the heck is the world coming to? Did we not learn from Metro Link's incident in Cali? Was the text message that important? Glad that moron got fired.....I hope he doesn't get hired any Transportation Agency for this foolishness!

:confused: i didnt hear about the Metro Link incident. please tell me what happened?

hello everyone

Just to give everyone a update about the train driver for the MBTA i do not know what information people has heard from our great country of ours.It seems the idot blew through a stop sign and caused about 9.5 million dollars in damage .I can tell you this i live and grew up here in the the Boston area if this happen during the 4to 6pm rush hour they would have a lot more people hurt there is no doubt.The driver has not talk to the NTSB people yet and he is only 24 years old and only has been on the job for 22 months.There was a slight problem last winter were my mom a senior citizen was waiting for a bus to go to her part time job in minus -35 with the wind chill and the morn blew threw the bus stop not evening stopping because from what my mom told me the guy was talking on his cell phone.So to make a long story short my mom called me upset because the bus went right by so in turn i called and called the MBTA officals and needless to say i was not happy and the guy was fired.When is it going to take to stop were god for bid someone across this country gets killed hang up and shut off the phone when you drive a train or a bus :) omg unreal god bless the USA

hello everyone

Just to give everyone a update about the train driver for the MBTA i do not know what information people has heard from our great country of ours.It seems the idot blew through a stop sign and caused about 9.5 million dollars in damage .I can tell you this i live and grew up here in the the Boston area if this happen during the 4to 6pm rush hour they would have a lot more people hurt there is no doubt.The driver has not talk to the NTSB people yet and he is only 24 years old and only has been on the job for 22 months.There was a slight problem last winter were my mom a senior citizen was waiting for a bus to go to her part time job in minus -35 with the wind chill and the morn blew threw the bus stop not evening stopping because from what my mom told me the guy was talking on his cell phone.So to make a long story short my mom called me upset because the bus went right by so in turn i called and called the MBTA officals and needless to say i was not happy and the guy was fired.When is it going to take to stop were god for bid someone across this country gets killed hang up and shut off the phone when you drive a train or a bus :) omg unreal god bless the USA

Want to make a difference?

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=117389#post117389

I agree, unreal.

- A

Archived