New York State and Counties Hand Gun Laws

DOB2RTO

Why can't it be easier for good, law abiding, working citizens of Westchester County to get a handgun permit. Taking a course is understandable, as one should have to learn to shoot a handgun, before buying one. But the process is long. First you have to go to the county clerks office to get a mugshot, and pay a fee. Understandable. Then they forward your application to the county police, who conducts a background check, and you have to submit personal references as to your character. Then it gets sent in front of a judge for accepted or denial. I hear that the officers (detectives) are biased who they give a permit to. What I mean is you could be a hard working tax paying citizen, who abides the law, and just because you are too damn ugly, they can send your application to a judge, who they know will deny it. Even though they are suppose to be unbiased, the judges almost always take the recommendation of the officer.

My stance is we have the right to legally bear arms. Background checks are a must, and I believe training courses are a great idea. What I don't like is others can determine whether you should be approved or not based on your appearance. If one legally works in NYS, pays taxes, has been employed for many years with same employer (shows responsibility), can get personal references (especially from work past and present) as to character, they should approved, no matter how they look. You can legally get a rifle or shotgun w/o a permit, but the seller has to do an FBI check on you first. That takes 5 minutes. I do legally own a Ruger Mini-14, have 4 magazines, that hold 5 cartridges. I have 50 rounds of ballistic tip ammo. My gripe is a rifle is large and takes up space to store. You are exposed when firing such large guns. A handgun is far more maneuverable, and takes up far less space. I wanted a handgun for self defense, but these tightwad laws of Westchester discourages good people from getting a pistol permit. They think this will stop those willing to commit crimes from getting a handgun? The state should take over, and it should go through the state police. It is a state licence. Applications should go to the attorney generals office (not county clerks), and the local state police barracks is where mugshots should be taken, interviews done, and the highest ranking officer there should say yay or nay (not county PD or county judges). The counties should stay out of it all together.

Better yet it should be a federal process, since an FBI check is done, and those approves are put in a federal database. The states can be as bad as the counties. The Feds are more laxed on this, especially with Bush in.

I want to get one of these in the future (for maneuverability and flexibility): http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=6622&return=Y

I already have this (very cumbersome, and will leave one exposed defending themselves): http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5805&return=Y

I will most likely go for a permit a few years from now, first I have other debt to pay off. Got to get the Pathfinder paid off, so I can trade for an Expedition, while the value is still good.

they should ban guns for everyone. good and bad. nobody should have guns, not even cops.

England tried that, and they still have Scotland Yard. If you live in an area with huge bears, then what? I ain't trying to stop a bear with a knife.

well fine then people who live in places where bears regularly attack them get guns but nobody else!

I understand your point, but the right to bear arms was put into the Constitution. There is nothing wrong with shooting on a range for fun, or as a hobby. Only using a gun in a criminal act is a problem. Guns don't commit crimes. The people who illegally get them do. They use a gun as a weapon of choice. Besides if all guns were destroyed, then criminals would use knives instead. For self defense a knife would be a weapon. Back to square one with a different weapon. You see getting rid of the weapon is never going to solve the problem. You have to get the individuals who wish to do harm on others. Get rid of one weapon, they will find another. Plain and simple.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived