What would you do, if you were picked as the new MTA CEO/GM?

I thought i ask a "fantasy' question but tie it to the current problems facing the New York area MTA in post bailout 2009. This is a question i am sure Metsfan and other NYCTF would love to adddress here lol.

Lets suppose Gov. David Paterson appointed you, the new MTA CEO and Chairman replacing Lee Sandler. You got a $500,000 yearly salary and had the power to do anything legally within reason? What would you do?

Here are the mandates.

1)How to Cut or eliminate wasteful spending? ie redudant jobs, and low performing or used subway or bus lines?

An example would be those subway/bus lines on the 'doomesday' cuts? Or if any low used subway stations should close at night?

2)What to do with 'sister' agencies the LIRR/Metro North and LI Bus?

3)How to Improve customer relations including with both riders and the NYC media?

4)working with the mess with the political leaders of the state ie the Governor in Albany (your "direct boss')and the NYC Mayor?

5)Would consider bridge tolls on the East River Bridges on all Manhattan crossings from the Brooklyn Bridge-Queensboro Bridge at least during rush hours?

6)Any 'new' projects such as 'light rail/trolley projects' and extend Metro North to NY/Penn Station?

I offer my takes in a bit but wanted to put your thinking caps on.

Guys please try to answer this scenrio and 'fantasy' with as close to realistic ideas/options as possible that a new real life MTA Chief would do? Thanks.:o

I don't know the legalities of this but I would merge the MNR and LIRR which would save millions of dollars because of all of the duplicate positions that would be eliminated.

Then I would eliminate the title of deputy superintendent because it is completely useless in the TA. This too would save millions because each one of them makes over $101,000/ a year and they would all be let go.

I'd take a 200,000 dollar pay cut, and dissolve the (MTA), and divide it up amongst the counties the various divisions now serve. LIT long island transit. NYCT new york city transit, MNRR metro north railroad, SIRT staten island rail transportation.

Subway and bus (NYCT) would get federal state and city funding and operate under NYCDOT with NYDOT oversight.

Trains, future light rail, and bus (LIT) would get county (suffolk, nassau, kings, queens, new york), state, and federal funds and operate under the NYDOT with NYCDOT/NYCT input.

MNRR would get federal, state, and counties served funding and operate under NYDOT/CONNDOT, with NYCDOT and NYCT input.

SIRT would get funds from the city, tax on richmond county residents, and annual federal stipend, with exceptions for certain projects to increase funding outside day to day running duties and operations. Oversight by NYDOT.

The reason other agencies get input, is because the systems need to be integrated where they serve the same location, such as parts of bronx and manhattan for MNRR, brooklyn queens and manhattan for LIT, and since the NYCDOT runs the SIF, they would have input to SIRT operations.

This is mainly to tie the systems together, and have a "the buck stops here" type arrangement with NYDOT and NYCDOT. Have specific offices in each agency to ensure proper management of the transportation systems, including budget, union stuff, integration or removal of things, such as payment systems and equipment procurement.

I would also ask the feds for 15 billion dollars to rehab all stations and stops, to be overseen by a joint NYDOT/CONNDOT/NYCDOT committee voted on by city and counties served residents vs selected in some room by who knows what kinda people.

- A

Cut the (Z), and the (J) Express

Sell the MCI D4500CT order (58 buses from 2008) to NJT - rake in about $30-40 million?

Cut unnecessary express buses (in the case of the X32, if it is needed I'd rename it the Q94 and run local buses on the trip instead - it is a route used by students and they shouldn't pay to get to school - just like every other student)

Combine the B100/B31 and axe the B2

Move the Q100-Q104 to LGA Depot, move the LGA expresses to CP

Cut the R160A 2nd option order to 210 cars - the 4-car sets won't be necessary now that the (Z) is cut - This would save over $40 million

I would actually fight for funding of the 10th Ave. station on the (7) line, since that line would basically be a stimulus for Hell's Kitchen.

Build FSTC according to scaled-back version, and not the regular version currently being built by the (MTA) now that they got their stimulus. There's not reason to waste $500 million or so on a glass egg.

Hold off closing off of certain depots for construction

Also, if there was ANY way to direct those stimulus dollars for use of the operating budget, I'd send 100% of it to pay off debt so we can get out of this $2 billion deficit.

I'd take a 200,000 dollar pay cut, and dissolve the (MTA), and divide it up amongst the counties the various divisions now serve. LIT long island transit. NYCT new york city transit, MNRR metro north railroad, SIRT staten island rail transportation.

Subway and bus (NYCT) would get federal state and city funding and operate under NYCDOT with NYDOT oversight.

Trains, future light rail, and bus (LIT) would get county (suffolk, nassau, kings, queens, new york), state, and federal funds and operate under the NYDOT with NYCDOT/NYCT input.

MNRR would get federal, state, and counties served funding and operate under NYDOT/CONNDOT, with NYCDOT and NYCT input.

SIRT would get funds from the city, tax on richmond county residents, and annual federal stipend, with exceptions for certain projects to increase funding outside day to day running duties and operations. Oversight by NYDOT.

The reason other agencies get input, is because the systems need to be integrated where they serve the same location, such as parts of bronx and manhattan for MNRR, brooklyn queens and manhattan for LIT, and since the NYCDOT runs the SIF, they would have input to SIRT operations.

This is mainly to tie the systems together, and have a "the buck stops here" type arrangement with NYDOT and NYCDOT. Have specific offices in each agency to ensure proper management of the transportation systems, including budget, union stuff, integration or removal of things, such as payment systems and equipment procurement.

I would also ask the feds for 15 billion dollars to rehab all stations and stops, to be overseen by a joint NYDOT/CONNDOT/NYCDOT committee voted on by city and counties served residents vs selected in some room by who knows what kinda people.

- A

Ok Metsfan I dont understand just '1' question. So you breaking up the (MTA) similar to what the US Supreme Court did to AT&T telephone company 20-25 years ago?Out of curosity what would be the 'new' names of these dissolved (MTA) agencies? I dont think NYCDOT would be a great to call the 'new' NYC subways/buses compared to NYC Transit lol.

If you sell those MCIs then whats going to replace those CNGs still running in express service?

They can be kept in express service with new CNG tanks, or they can be rebuilt as either diesel or hybrid buses if possible.

Ok Metsfan I dont understand just '1' question. So you breaking up the (MTA) similar to what the US Supreme Court did to AT&T telephone company 20-25 years ago?Out of curosity what would be the 'new' names of these dissolved (MTA) agencies? I dont think NYCDOT would be a great to call the 'new' NYC subways/buses compared to NYC Transit lol.

New york city has a department of transportation. It runs the SIF, which is the most visible part of its operations. Mostly though it's in charge of road maintenance, vehicle permit stuff, and parking enforcement.

I all ready said there would be NYCT for subway, and the current inside-the-city-bus. MNRR for the current MNRR. LIT would be LIRR, and LIB, and any future long island related stuff. SIRT would be staten island rail transportation, and would run the current SIR, plus the expansions and a possible connection to NJ.

I explained it pretty well i think. I simply was listing which agencies would oversee/run the operations. The "public face" would have different names, and obviously not call LIT "NYDOT/NYCDOT long island transportation". It would be simply LIT.

:o

- A

I don't know the legalities of this but I would merge the MNR and LIRR which would save millions of dollars because of all of the duplicate positions that would be eliminated.

Agreed.

Not only that, after a LIRR/MNR merger, I would create a RER-like system in the metro area and touch in markets with potential growth opportunities.

That would be a long 2-hour ride from 168th St-Rockaway Park and might make the (R) look great by mergering the (C) and Rockaway Park (S).

IMO not a good idea. The (MTA) actually had the (C) run from Bedford Park in the Bronx-Rock Park during rush hours years ago. It stopped since it was subject to delays.

Other than that AW Wang, not bad ideas.

I disagree with merging LIRR and MNRR. I think it would be as ill fated as penn central. Keep them separated, as people in montauk do not regularly travel to new haven by rail. In fact it'd be faster to go by car & ferry.

Plus, you have top contact centric vs bottom contact centric. Letting (NJT) manage all west of hudson operations without the need for MTA or whatever livery would be a smart move. Simply have albany fund the service directly.

You could also have service to bing from hoboken and nyp funded by NJ PA and NY.

- A

Ok. My turn. Warning this is long to read.

NYCT Subway and Buses.

MANGEMENT

-Return the City Subways and Buses to NYC control with the Mayor appointing the Subway/Buses chief with NYC Council approval. '5' Board Members are elected from each NYC Borough in Citywide elections every 2 years.

-The voting board has power to approve fare hikes and major service cuts and changes on buses and subways. Also the power to 'fire' or 'dismiss' the Executive Director under rare dire circumstances ie charges of corruption, etc.

'5" other non voting members are appointed, with '3' picked by the Mayor, '2' by the City Council Leader and '1' appointed by the Governor to represnt the suburian riders.

-Still a part of the (MTA)Network but Albany only is involved with funding decisions.

-NYCT 'boss' job is called Commissioner. Two "Deputy' assistants would be called General Managers. One for the subway and Staten Island RT and One "GM" for NYCTA buses/MTA Buses renamed MTA Bus citywide.

All Local and Limited/Select Bus service would now just called (MTA) Bus in the 5 boroughs whether they are an NYCTA or MTA Bus route.

-The City subways are under the (NYCTA) logo.

-Ask Congress to make any extra surpluses from the bailout be applied to the captial plan ie buying new buses, finish the SAS, etc.

*This is a similar model to the Chicago Transit Authority.*

Opeartions

-Bid out and make private all of the NYC Interborough Express Buses that serve Manhattan. Each Outerborough (Queens, Bronx Brooklyn and Staten Island)would have a private company operate the buses ie Coach USA, etc.

NYCTA still owns the lines and contract the private lines with 5-year renewable contracts. THE voting members of NYCTA Board makes final decisions to renew or not.

-Finish the complete R-160 order. Retire all of the R44's and keep the remaining R-32's R-42's for at least 5 years. After 3 years(starting in 2012) the R-179's/188's replace all of the remaining R32's/R42's and most of the R 46's. After 2015, the NYC subway fleet will be R68's, R140's, R160's & R 179/188.

-Rebulid the R62's and R68's which would include putting LCD's to extend the life for running at least another 10 years or more. Similar to what was done to the R44/46's in the early 1990's.

Funding.

-Raise Parking Meters to as much as $5.00 an hour in Manhattan from 96th-Wall Street to discourage driving.

-Set up more 'park and ride' centers at existing sites such as the new Metro North Yankee Stadium stop, North Conduit Ave (A) Far Rockaway branch, Willets Point-Citifield for LIRR and the (7) line, and Stillwell-Coney Island (D)(N)(Q)(F) lines. For Express Buses, new park and ride sites could be created at Keyspan Park (Coney Island) Staten Island Mall and Green Acres Mall.

Routes Changes

(W)ends service at around 9pm weekdays. After 8pm this route is mostly mpty and IMO the (MTA) made a mistake extending the hours until 11pm. After 9pm the (N) runs on it's weekend service pattern via Bway Local between Canal St and Astoria and then via Manhattan Bridge/Brooklyn Express until 1130pm.

Ditto for the (V). This line IMO should end service at around 9pm weekdays instead of currently 11pm. The reasons are the following.

a)Empty trains b)congestion problems along QB local tracks going to 71st Avenue-Forest Hills.

(D)Stops at Dekalb Ave at all times when the (:) is not running (weekends-all times and 1130pm-6am overnights weeknights)

(Z) Expand skip-stop service with the (J) to run the full rush hour between appx. 630am-930am and 330pm-7pm.

(R) Late Night Shuttle service extended to Whitehall St. Gives Bay Ridge riders 24/7 access to the (1)(2) (4)at both South Ferry and Atlantic-Pacific stations. Also extend hours of full service to end at 1am instead of currently 12 Midnight. In other words the last 'full service' (R) trains each leaves Forest Hills and Bay Ridge respectaby at 12 Midnight.

(C)late evening service runs until 1230am instead of currently ending at 11pm.

(S) Rockaway Park Shuttle is closed overnights between Broad Channel and Beach 116th Overnights 1-5am. Replaced by shuttle bus and new 24/7 expanded Q-53 service.

(5)overnight service extended to 149th St-Grand Concourse and trains 'terminate' either at middle tracks at 135 St-Lenox (2)(3)station or 138th-GC (4) station. Gives Dyre Ave riders a 1-seat ride to the (4) for Lex Ave service. Also Extend hours of Weekday evening Bowling Green service with last train leaving Dyre Ave at 1130pm(currently 1030p)BG at 1230am(currently 1159pm). SRO Crowded conditions along (4).

Either Restore full weekday evening/weekend (G) service along Queens Blvd or run the (V) 7 days a week including weekends until 11pm. The (R) can't handle running by itself as the QB local.

Close these stations overnights.

Rector St.-(R) and (N) lines.

Alternative-Rector St (1) and Wall St (4) is a block away.

18th Street(1)

Alternative-14th St (1)(2) is nearby.

Neck Road (Q)

Alternative-Avenue U (Q) is 2 blocks away.

21st St-Van Alst(G)

Alternative- Vernon-Jackson (7) or Court Sq.(G)(7)(E) is a few blocks away.

All Rockaway Park line stations

Hewes St (J)

Alternative-Marcy Ave is 3 blocks away.

(NYCTA) (MTA) bus ideas and Metro North/LIRR plans to follow in my next post..

Simple, really. First, fire all the scumbags who were screwing with the public 'till recently. And a lot of them there are!

For NYC subway, I'd extend the (C) to Lefferts Blvd, making that its full time eastern terminus, and make the (A) always run to Far Rockaway (as well as Rockaway Park during rush hours still).

For LI Bus, add service onto some disastrously underserved lines, and make them run on Sundays to boot.

LIRR: add half-hourly services on branches such as the Ronkonkoma and Long Beach branches (on weekends), among other things.

Just a few things, really. Out of other things I can't think of right now, but basic stuff that some riders really could use.

Consolidate all bus companies under one roof, have one division general manager for all boros instead of the current one gen manager per division. Fire all redundant manager/supervisor positions, independent monitoring of all capital spending, Subway service will stay the same. Plus find ways of stopping fare-beaters.

Bridges and tunnels would have peak and off-peak pricing. Another thing to increase funding would be to take over the taxis service.

I've been thinking, this company have been operating in this wasteful manner since day one and it hasn't gone belly up like most companies that would even dare to run itself like the(MTA). I highly doubt anyone can change it or do much about it.

I only have ideas with the subway system, so I'll just be in charge of the NYC Subway system:

- Fix up the Rockaway issue by making the Rockaway Shuttle (S) run 24/7. I will run (C) trains to Lefferts at all times with a significant load of them terminating at Euclid Avenue during Rush Hours. Make all (A) trains terminate at Far Rockaway with very few terminating at Lefferts during rush hours.

- Implement CBTC on every East New York R160 and fully train operating crew on emergency situations where something happens to CBTC. I will also put every train on the (L) to use CBTC.

- Finish whatever construction is going on. After that, I will implement a full scale transformation project on rehabilitating all Sea Beach (N) stations.

- Remove the (Z) line and the express (J) trains. That way, all (J) trains will run local at all times.

- Make Broad Street the main terminal for all (J) and (M) trains (No (Z) will exist)

- Extend the (G) all the way to Church Avenue after the Culver Viaduct is fixed.

- Make Queens Blvd. run CBTC after the year round test of CBTC on the (L) is proven to have succeeded.

- Make a plan called the Complete System Refinement Plan, where instead of b.s construction happens that needs to be replaced every few weeks, take the time to actually COMPLETELY finish the project even if it causes massive delays during the weekdays. This will help the 7th Avenue Line.

Here's my ideas:

End (V)(W) service at 9pm

Keep (Z) running the full rush hour and (J) express

Make (:( run on weekends (because (Q) does get crowded on the Brighton Line)

Make (N) run express in Manhattan on weekends

Extend (C) to Lefferts Blvd. Late nights, (C) runs as a shuttle between Eucild Av and Lefferts Blvd

Make <7> express run on weekends in peak direction between 8AM and 9PM

Fix up the following stations (meaning repaints, new tiles, other renovations)

All (R) stations from 4 Av-9st to Bay Ridge-95 St

(J)(M): Chambers St, Bowery

(F) West 4, 14 and 23 Sts, East Broadway, The entire culver line

(N) The entire Sea Beach Line

(B)(C) The entire CPW line.

(C)(E) Spring-23 Sts, 50 St

(A)(S) all Rockaway Stations

NYC subway cars

Finish R160 orders

Keep R62A on the (7)<7>

Order R179

Please comment positively. ;)

Here's my ideas:

Fix up the following stations (meaning repaints, new tiles, other renovations)

All (R) stations from 4 Av-9st to Bay Ridge-95 St

(J)(M): Chambers St, Bowery

(F) West 4, 14 and 23 Sts, East Broadway, The entire culver line

(N) The entire Sea Beach Line

(;)(C)The entire CPW line.

(C)(E) Spring-23 Sts, 50 St

(A)(S) all Rockaway Stations

Thank you! East Broadway really needs work done. The tiles are decaying. I hope to get rid of the escalator and replace it with a lift. 81st Street is in great condition, but 72nd, 86th, 96th, 103rd, 110th and 116th deserve some work.

Now for my ideas:

Have weekend (V) service.

Reason: Many want an additional service on the Queens Blvd Line on weekends, especially on the local. They advocate sending the (G) back to Forest Hills, as it should be. However, does the (G) go to Manhattan? AFAIK, QBL riders deserve more service into Manhattan.

End Skip-Stop on the (Z).

Reason: The ride east of Broadway Junction is already excruciating slow. Running a skip stop service would not benefit here, as there are tight curves (hence timers), which mean slower speeds. Make the (J) run all stops, however during rush hours, retain the express between Myrtle and Marcy.

Repair Existing Infrastructure.

Reason: In order to operate such a large and AGEING system, we must consider maintenance. There will be more GOs, however, the most important thing is, repairs must be done. If repairs aren't done, sections of the system will decay and be rendered unsafe. GOs must be done expediently.

Provide Accessibility In More Stations.

Reason: The senior citizen population is growing in the metropolitan area. As people age, they tend to be less agile than when they were younger. In order to prevents slips or trips (especially the stairs), lifts should be installed in ALL major stations. Major station complexes must have disabled access. Not just that, if a heavily populated area is served by that station, and only that station, that station must have accessibility no matter what. Stations that are adjacent to existing major hospital facilities must have disabled access.

Installation of CBTC.

Reason: The fixed block signalling system is antiquated for our system. We need frequent service, yet this signalling limits the number of trains being run. CBTC, in design, is a form of "moving block" signalling system. More trains could be run on the system, thereby decreasing crowding.

Select Bus Service Expansion.

Reason: Subways are costly and time consuming in terms of construction. The SBS model provides an interim solution to communities that lack subway access. More routes should be installed in order to provide the communities the best service possible.

Merge the LIRR-MNR Systems.

Reason: Each railway network provides a limited coverage, especially in the city area. By merging the two into one network, there could be possibilities for free transfers between the lines. This calls for a more unified regional rail network, allowing customers travel between suburbs.

LIRR Atlantic Branch Rapid Transit Conversion.

Reason: When completed, the East Side Access will provide a new Manhattan terminal. More LIRR trips will be directed there. The Atlantic Branch is not as heavily used as the other City Terminal Lines; it has a better chance of existing as a rapid transit line than as a commuter rail line. Through conversion into a rapid transit line, it could connect with existing subway lines and could provide subway service to as far as Laurelton, touching new areas that never had subway access before. This provides new and high demand markets for the subway, without having to physically build new ROWs.

Bronx-Queens-Brooklyn Rapid Transit Line.

Reason: This provides an important crosstown route for many communities. Travel times will be cut down SIGNIFICANTLY. The ROW is existing, only funding is needed for signalling, upgrading, stations, cars and employees.

I have more plans to share, but for now, that's all.

Have weekend (V) service.

Reason: Many want an additional service on the Queens Blvd Line on weekends, especially on the local. They advocate sending the (G) back to Forest Hills, as it should be. However, does the (G) go to Manhattan? AFAIK, QBL riders deserve more service into Manhattan.

Extending the (G) is cheaper than running (V) service. The QBL local riders just want to get to the mall, not really to Manhattan. The (G) is enough.

Archived