Did R-38s ever run on the BMT Eastern Division?

R10 2952

I have noticed that in the past, The (M) (and sometimes the J) used R-32s, and I may have seen a picture of an R-32 (L) somewhere; this is of course talking in pre-modern (Pre-1990) terms. I have never, though, seen or even heard of R-38s on any of those lines. Why though? I know that up till the 1980s, R-38s were widely spread throughout the entire B division, be it Broadway, or 8th Avenue, 6th Avenue, or the QBL. Can anyone explain?:confused:

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

'81-early '82, the 38's were on the (M). That was where I first identified them as a distinct car from the 32 and 42. (Riding to school everyday, I began noticing these cars that looked somewhat like 42's on the outside at first glance, but looked like higher numbered 32's inside).

I don't know if they ran on the other Eastern lines, but the setup was different back then, as the (M) was (Q) and (R) (and to some extent, the (:) and (D).) Most people don't remember that there were plenty of 32's on the line as well. So the 38's were on those other lines, and spread to the (M) as well, until late winter '82, when they all moved to the (A).

I've always been told that the R38s debutted on the B and then moved to the A. Those cars were so reliable during those days on West End and they performed a lot better than after GE rebuilt them. However, the graffiti era hit them hard.

No, they started in Queens ((E)(F)), and from there went to the (N) and (:) (from what I've heard. I rarely rode those lines, and probably would have mistaken them for 32's), and from there spread to the rest of the Coney Island lines, and then finally the (A) and eventually (C).

Archived