New Fare and Crossing Charges

The MTA has unveiled the new fare/toll hike information as of today. Here are the details:

New Fare and Crossing Charges

Fare Changes

* Subways, NYCT Bus, MTA Bus, LI Bus, Staten Island Railway

* Paratransit

* Commuter Railroads

o Long Island Rail Road

o Metro-North Railroad

* Bridges and Tunnels

Fare Changes — Effective June 28, 2009

Subways, NYCT Bus, MTA Bus, LI Bus, Staten Island Railway

Fare Type (Cash, SingleRide, Base Pay Per Ride Metrocard Fare):

Current: $2.00

New: $2.25

Minimum purchase for new MetroCard:

Current:$4

New: $4.50

Pay-Per-Ride Bonus and Minimum Purchase Threshold

Current:15% with $7 or more purchase

New: 15% with $8 or more purchase

Effective Pay-Per-Ride Fare with Bonus

Current:$1.74

New: $1.96

Unlimited Ride MetroCard

1-Day

Current: $7.50

New: $8.25

7-Day

Current: $25

New: $27

14-Day

Current: $47

New: $51.50

30-Day

Current: $81

New: $89

Express Bus

Cash, Pay Per Ride MetroCard Fare

Current: $5

New: $5.50

Effective Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard fare with Bonus

Current:$4.35

New: $4.78

7-Day Express Bus Plus Unlimited Ride MetroCard

Current:$41

New: $45

The base fare for Reduced Fare customers will be $1.10.

Fare collection will be implemented at SIR Tompkinsville station upon installation of a fare control area.

In addition, buses operated by MTA Bus will begin operating under policies consistent with those of New York City Transit.

* Elimination of student reduced fares on all MTA Bus express service

* Change of MTA Bus weekday off-peak eligibility period to begin at 10 a.m. (instead of 9 a.m.) for discounted fares for senior citizens and disabled customers on Northeast Bronx express bus service

Buses operated by LI Bus will begin operating under the following policy:

* The $.25 charge for cash transfers will be eliminated and magnetic stripe paper transfers will be accepted for travel between LI Bus and NYCT/MTA Bus local service.

* The age for reduced fare discounts will be raised to 65 (from 60) to align with NYCT and MTA Bus service.

Other discount policies for NYCT, MTA Bus, and LI Bus are unchanged.

Paratransit — Effective June 28, 2009

* The NYC Transit Access-A-Ride fare will increase from $2.00 to $2.25

* The LI Bus Able-Ride fare will increase from $3.50 to $3.75

* The cost of a LI Bus Able-Ride 20-trip book will increase from $70 to $75

Commuter Railroads — Effective June 17, 2009

Fare changes by MTA Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) and MTA Metro-North Railroad (MNR) for New York State service include the following:

* Increase full fare one-way, full fare ten-trip, weekly and monthly tickets fares to/from Manhattan/LIRR Zone 1 stations/Hoboken from 5.0% to 11.6%

* Intermediate full fares for LIRR and MNR East of Hudson service will increase from 7.1% to 20%; however, any increase of more than 11.75% is no more than $.75 per ride. Intermediate full fares on MNR West of Hudson service will increase up to 33%. The increases for some child/senior/disabled fares may vary slightly from these percentages.

* New Haven Line fares to NY stations will increase in stages.

* Increase the on-board fare differential to up to $6.50 from $5.50.

* CityTicket fares will increase from $3.25 to $3.50; family fare price are unchanged.

* Reduce the Mail & Ride fare discount on the railroad portion of the joint Monthly Commutation/Monthly Unlimited Ride MetroCard from 5% to 4%.

* Senior citizen/disabled person/child fare discount policies and other Mail&Ride/WebTicket discounts remain unchanged

Specific fare information:

Long Island Rail Road

Metro-North Railroad

Commuter Rail Connecting Services — Effective June 17, 2009

One Way

Weekly

Monthly

Current New Current New Current New

NYC Buses* $2.00 $2.25 $9.25 $9.75 $29.00 $31.75

LI Bus* $2.00 $2.25 $9.75 $10.50 $35.00 $38.00

Hudson Rail Link* $2.00 $2.25 $9.25 $9.75 $26.00 $28.50

Ossining Ferry $3.00 $3.25 $10.00 $11.00 $30.00 $33.00

Beacon Ferry $1.00 $1.25 $5.00 $5.50 $10.00 $11.00

UniTicket with the X25 bus is eliminated.

* NYC Bus, LI Bus, and Hudson Rail Link One Way fares are effective June 28, 2009

Bridges and Tunnels — Effective July 12, 2009

In this chart, major crossings are the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge, Bronx-Whitestone Bridge, Throgs Neck Bridge, Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, and Queens Midtown Tunnel. Minor crossings are the Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge and the Cross Bay Veterans' Memorial Bridge.

Crossing Charges

for Cars

Cash/EZPass:

Verrazano-Narrows

Current: $10.00, $8.30

New: $11.00, $9.14

Major Crossings

Current: $5.00, $4.15

New: $5.50, $4.57

Minor Crossings

Current: $2.50, $1.55

New: $2.75, $1.71

Henry Hudson Bridge

Current: $2.75, $1.90

New: $3.00, $2.09

In addition:

* E‑Z Pass rates apply to New York E-Z Pass Customer Service Center accounts only. Non-NYCSC Customers will pay the cash rates.

For more information about Bridges and Tunnels crossing charges, click here

I hope all previous questions were asked.

Good. No Service cuts.:)

Not necessarily. It is definite that there will be no more huge fare hikes. Service cuts will be voted on May 27, according to Newsday.

Because of pressure from Albany to cut costs, some station agent/cleaner cuts may still go through.

Not necessarily. It is definite that there will be no more huge fare hikes. Service cuts will be voted on May 27, according to Newsday.

Because of pressure from Albany to cut costs, some station agent/cleaner cuts may still go through.

This bailout may not save us from subsequent hikes in 2011 and 2013. There will not be service cuts, period. Most of the services that was slated to be cut will continue to run. However, some of the station agent positions will be removen to fulfill a $2M gap.

This bailout may not save us from subsequent hikes in 2011 and 2013. There will not be service cuts, period. Most of the services that was slated to be cut will continue to run. However, some of the station agent positions will be removen to fulfill a $2M gap.

What the MTA though really wanted---and this would have been a good thing probably---was the ability to raise fares every other year with increases pegged to the rate of inflation in perpetuity without hearings.

M6 will be eliminated no mather what the outcome of the bailout. It's already a done deal.

Sheldon Silver saved the M6.

From Downtown Express

M.T.A. backs down from bus cut after Silver letter

By Julie Shapiro

The M6 bus will continue barreling down Broadway and up Church St., thanks to a last-minute intervention by Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority planned to cut the M6 starting Memorial Day because of the mayor’s decision to close off sections of Broadway in Times Square and Herald Square for pedestrian malls. To remove buses from Broadway, New York City Transit, a division of the M.T.A., also modified seven other bus routes.

Four days before the M6 cut was to go into effect, Silver sent a letter to M.T.A. chairperson H. Dale Hemmerdinger slamming the decision to eliminate the service. Hemmerdinger responded the next day, giving Silver even more than he had asked for, saying he would look to see if service could be improved Downtown.

“In light of your request, we will not be eliminating the M6 bus route this weekend,” Hemmerdinger wrote on May 22. In addition, he continued, “M.T.A. New York City Transit will be reviewing all the bus routes in your district as well as the operation of the rerouted M6. Our hope is that this review will result in recommendations as to how, within existing resources, we can best serve those who live in, and travel to, Lower Manhattan.”

Silver announced the reprieve later that day.

“I am relieved and gratified that the M.T.A. responded very quickly to my request,” Silver said in a statement. “Particularly at a time when we are trying to encourage people to utilize mass transit, this decision to maintain the M 6 bus line is great news for Lower Manhattan.”

The M6 cut would have left a stretch of Church St. and Sixth Ave. between Worth and Houston Sts. without Uptown bus service. The M6 has an average of 5,200 riders on weekdays.

After Silver’s intervention, the M6’s operation will be unchanged in Lower Manhattan. In Midtown, the M6 will run down Seventh Ave. rather than Broadway, to avoid the pedestrian malls.

In his letter to Hemmerdinger, Silver said he was particularly galled by the M6 cut after leading the efforts to bail out the M.T.A. earlier this year and prevent the so-called doomsday budget from going into effect. The M6 was on the chopping block back then as well and would have been cut if the State Legislature had not passed an M.T.A. rescue plan.

John Brindisi, a Battery Park City resident who frequently takes the M6 to go shopping or to doctors’ appointments, was glad to hear that the M6 cut would not happen.

“It’s absolutely essential, especially on weekends,” Brindisi said of the bus. Had the bus been cut, “We would have been isolated. It would have hurt tourism.”

Brindisi criticized New York City Transit for not sufficiently notifying passengers of the planned cut. The M6 bus stops had no notice, and the notice on some buses included only a small mention, Brindisi said. The M.T.A. also did not list the cut among service changes on its Web site, Brindisi said.

“They tried to slip that through when nobody would notice,” Brindisi said. “Whether by design or by stupidity, they did it in a way so that most people wouldn’t know about it.”

Charles Seaton, N.Y.C.T. spokesperson, said the agency gave plenty of advance notice about the planned M6 cut and other service changes.

“The important thing is that the service was not cut,” Seaton said.

I'm feeling backstabbed. Just b/c they didn't cut anything doesn't mean they should hike up the fares again. This is just as bad as the budget crisis in my school; instead of cutting teachers, they cut 5 AP classes and eliminated all the clubs.

I'm feeling backstabbed. Just b/c they didn't cut anything doesn't mean they should hike up the fares again. This is just as bad as the budget crisis in my school; instead of cutting teachers, they cut 5 AP classes and eliminated all the clubs.

Yeah it really sucks. I have to say though, there could be room for a future fare hike, but I would not go off to the public and announce "oh, losers, just because we let you off the hook doesn't mean you should celebrate. To insult injury, we're going to rack your fares up 2 years later, with another one coming 2 years after that. So sucks to be you."

Honestly in 2 years time, ANYTHING can happen. Our economy should recover by 2011. Fuel prices fluctuate. There's also inflation.

But again, think of this. We Americans have been let off the hook for many years. Look at London for instance. I've witnessed the TFL fares bubble up year after year.

• 4 weeks later...
How will (NYCT) will do these changes tonight 12.a.m.

on subway and buses

Don't you mean 12:01.

Bee-Line bus, RIOC Roosevelt Island Tramway is also going up with (MTA) and don't forget X23/X24 Atlantic Express.

I am so glad Long Island Bus will be $2.25. My wish came true about elimate transfer fee.

I am going to check LaGuardia Airport to see their fare information on their bus stops will be updated tomorrow.

I plan to take subway, Long Island Bus, Subway, Bx12 Select Bus Service, Bee-Line Buses, Roosevelt Island Tramway on Monday.

On Long Island Bus, I want to make sure cash payers might think $2.50 with transfers, thinking it's still 25 cent transfer fee.

Since MTA Bus is going be following the same fare policies as NYCT. Are MTA BC Buses getting the same fareboxes as those on NYCT Buses?

We already follow the same fares and protocols as (MTA) Transit

us B/O (R) gonna be hearing it from the public tomorrow ahhhh I would have to think that people <R> gonna still put in (2)dollars and we all <R> gonna

(;) calling back to get that extra fare oh boy to all B/O EXP and Local good luck with the fareset switch :tup:(K)<R>

We already follow the same fares and protocols as (MTA) Transit

us B/O (R) gonna be hearing it from the public tomorrow ahhhh I would have to think that people <R> gonna still put in (2)dollars and we all <R> gonna

(;) calling back to get that extra fare oh boy to all B/O EXP and Local good luck with the fareset switch :tup:(K)<R>

How about (MTA) Long Island Bus?

I hope coin payers does not paid $2.50 when they requesting transfer.

Archived