Railfan Security Team

metsfan

Who wants to band together & create our very own security team? We could report minor issues, such as equipment problems, or more major things like suspicious activity. Since smoking is banned on all (MTA), (NJT), and :septa: stations, we could also crack down on those folks, who think the signs are decorations & instead maybe end up having a few of them pay the huge fines (in the process helping fund the transit agency). We could also assist amtrak and report any issues to them.

I don't want this to just be an east coast thing either, wherever you are in the country, we can make a difference if we stick together, armed with rules of conduct, cool demeanor, and our cameras.

:)

- A

No, this is more a free but organized public service we provide because we want the trains we ride and record (and busses etc too) to be free from both mechanical and other vehicle related problems, as well as alerting the appropriate authorities when noticing suspicious activity.

Basically "see something say something" but instead of unconnected individuals, a team that makes it a priority to do this whenever they are riding or fanning.

We could keep tabs on things, like cracks that look bad, people messing up TVM's vandalism, potential other criminal activity, or people hiding malicious intent, sort of like a citizen watch corps.

Union Pacific railroad has a program like this, and they have thousands of members, even if the report isn't of a critical nature, at least they will have a better sense of what's going on without doing the job themselves.

I call (NJT) and :septa: for things ranging from inappropriately acting crew/employee, to flat spots that make the journey nearly unbearable to stuck doors on pax cars and open doors on locomotives. I sometimes contact amtrak, or involve station employee to rectify the situation. Sometimes i call in or talk in person to comment on something good as well.

It's not about trying to be police, it's about using our own knowledge of the stuff involved to keep standards high and the proper people informed who may not have noticed otherwise and keep people safe. Crew reports are not as detailed as we'd cover things, and thousands of railfan eyes and cameras and judgments to report something couldnt be matched by any police or transit observation program operated by transit employees only.

Anyone interested? :)

- A

Laws and policies and rules and regulations relating to transit are there to provide a safe and comfortable service and riding/waiting conditions to people.

In any case i'm not asking people's opinions i'm asking if anyone wants to join. Please stay on topic.

- A

Before I evaluate the benefits of joining, I have to know, who would back us up? What agency would support us financially and idealistically, if we were to do this? We'd need some kind of official approval--otherwise, people would laugh in our faces and not take us seriously.

Before I evaluate the benefits of joining, I have to know, who would back us up? What agency would support us financially and idealistically, if we were to do this? We'd need some kind of official approval--otherwise, people would laugh in our faces and not take us seriously.

It's more of a grass roots thing, simply allowing people to be organized in their observations vs random "oh i saw this today", actually keeping a list of problematic stations, equipment, keep tabs on of a station seems to be more or less dangerous, sort of like a big comprehensive blanket of "observe and report" vs actual physical enforcement. Its not our job to tell people what to do, but it is our responsibility to do the right thing & report out of place or illegal things, especially if it seems people are ignoring it or avoiding acknowledging it as is so common with the subway especially. Take that platform panel collapse, if we had a team member go there in their daily or weekly goings on, it may have been avoided vs (MTA) looking like a bunch of distracted baboons with the risk of someone being hurt or killed.

We could make a thread here to keep track of things in the OT or other us transportation forum.

I know some people would be more willing than others here to confront people directly, so those who feel more comfortable reporting only can obviously stick to that, but people who are willing to go out of their way to say "hey its illegal to do that" & stand there till they stop etc can do that.

I just think we owe it to ourselves to bring public transportation up to a better standard, and not just rely on the system to work, because people won't always listen to signs and warnings, and not everyone knows the rules or cares about them, it's time they do care and i think we can play a small respectful part in that. Standing by and doing nothing... We saw what that can do. Lets be active, be aware, lets say something vs looking the other way. :cool: :tup:

- A

No, this is more a free but organized public service we provide because we want the trains we ride and record (and busses etc too) to be free from both mechanical and other vehicle related problems, as well as alerting the appropriate authorities when noticing suspicious activity.

Basically "see something say something" but instead of unconnected individuals, a team that makes it a priority to do this whenever they are riding or fanning.

We could keep tabs on things, like cracks that look bad, people messing up TVM's vandalism, potential other criminal activity, or people hiding malicious intent, sort of like a citizen watch corps.

Union Pacific railroad has a program like this, and they have thousands of members, even if the report isn't of a critical nature, at least they will have a better sense of what's going on without doing the job themselves.

I call (NJT) and :septa: for things ranging from inappropriately acting crew/employee, to flat spots that make the journey nearly unbearable to stuck doors on pax cars and open doors on locomotives. I sometimes contact amtrak, or involve station employee to rectify the situation. Sometimes i call in or talk in person to comment on something good as well.

It's not about trying to be police, it's about using our own knowledge of the stuff involved to keep standards high and the proper people informed who may not have noticed otherwise and keep people safe. Crew reports are not as detailed as we'd cover things, and thousands of railfan eyes and cameras and judgments to report something couldnt be matched by any police or transit observation program operated by transit employees only.

Anyone interested? ;)

- A

Lol, so basically, doing what good and alert NYers should be doing?

I'm in :cool:

Neat!

I'd like to set up, after we get a few members, a "sweep" pattern for PATH stations, and newark penn, NYP and other very busy stations, like jamaica, times square the kind that are junction points. Then we can dole out, (or people can select from a list of) stations to check up on. For example i would prefer newark penn, trenton, wtc and exp path stations, several HBLR stations, and a few :septa: stations, such as levittown.

Reminder, please stay respectful and on topic.

- A

Sometimes you gotta spit, but into the trackbed is 50/50 acceptable depending if the person does it obviously or carefully. On the platform is disgusting and lewd. People who block alighting pax should be held to board last, sadly the staff is not in place to enforce such a policy, which would only need to be enforced a few times to "take effect". If you feel the need to block that person & accept the yelling and swearing at youthat may take place, go for it, then again you can obviously and of course simply (such aso n HBLR where this is a real problem) call the (NJT) people via platform intercom, complain in specific terms, how many, how often you see the person etc, and be consistent, if it happens do your selected intervention/reporting every time.

Today i suggested amtrak lower its prices for empire service after a fiasco that i'll get into in another thread another time (not relating to amtk or any other agency or police), but the agent said she would pass the suggestion along (which is all they can do sadly) & agrees with my suggestion as well.

- A

Archived