Over heard a T/O talk..

NYtransit

Since when is every car on a line stored in its yard at once? That is my question.

He means not all of the cars, Some stay in the yard, some could be layed up and the rest are in service..

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then you must not have seen this source:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/procure/contracts/r34188sol.pdf

and if you have, then you must have mis-counted.

oh, and 409 doesn't divide out evenly to 11. you get this: 37.18 repeating

and some additional tidbits:

there are currently 37 full R62A trains assigned to Corona Yard.

Oh yeah, after adding all of the mentioned numbers, the sum does arrive to 506 cars. However there are 409 R62As at Corona currently.

Are you serious? I'm sure you've ridden a R68A. They are in excellent condition. So are the R160B's and R62's.

If you didn't know, the R68As are my second favorite cars because they are extremely quiet and have the least problems among the SMEEs. To me, the R68As are the only good trains that Kawasaki had built because they are so quiet. The R142A, R143, and R160B are just too loud for NTTs during accelerations, idlings, and runs when compared to those of the R142 (seriously those large HVAC units are still quieter than those of Kawasaki trains), and R160A. Likewise, the R62s are much louder than the R62As and even the R44s.

If you didn't know, the R68As are my second favorite cars because they are extremely quiet and have the least problems among the SMEEs. To me, the R68As are the only good trains that Kawasaki had built because they are so quiet. The R142A, R143, and R160B are just too loud for NTTs during accelerations, idlings, and runs when compared to those of the R142 (seriously those large HVAC units are still quieter than those of Kawasaki trains), and R160A. Likewise, the R62s are much louder than the R62As and even the R44s.

Yeah but being loud doesn't mean having a life expectancy of 20 years. The 60' SMEE's are loud (especially the R32's) and they are lasting 40+ years.

Yeah but being loud doesn't mean having a life expectancy of 20 years. The 60' SMEE's are loud (especially the R32's) and they are lasting 40+ years.

Oh no that's not what I meant. I'm comparing the fleets to that of the Shinkansen fleet. For example, the 500 series which had only been running since 1997 had all of its sets stripped for local services or retired this year. The 400 series, which debutted in 1992 are currently being replaced by the E3-2000 series. All of the Shinkansen fleet are primarily produced by Kawasaki and by the look of it, they all have short lives with the exception of the 0 series.

Oh no that's not what I meant. I'm comparing the fleets to that of the Shinkansen fleet. For example, the 500 series which had only been running since 1997 had all of its sets stripped for local services or retired this year. The 400 series, which debutted in 1992 are currently being replaced by the E3-2000 series. All of the Shinkansen fleet are primarily produced by Kawasaki and by the look of it, they all have short lives with the exception of the 0 series.

Oh, ok.

Those are high-speed trains and probably have a set lower life expentancy than regular railcars. Anyway, IDK what planet you're from if you think Kawasaki HVACs are louder than those R142s...

Those are high-speed trains and probably have a set lower life expentancy than regular railcars. Anyway, IDK what planet you're from if you think Kawasaki HVACs are louder than those R142s...

I'm hoping he means Alstom. Stand at Union Square-14th Street on the (4). You're ears are going to get blown away with that HVAC noise.

The HVAC's are louder on the 142's than on the 142A's. You're last statement is one-hundred percent false. It shows that you don't know anything.

33rd Street, thats what he said. I've also noticed that lately you've been telling R160B8713 he doesn't know anything in a very rude way. Please stop being rude to other members of the forum, and if you have anything against him for some reason, solve it in a PM. Thanks.

The PA-5's are new generation cars that began manufacturing in 08. specs for the HVACs of those cars are newer than NYC's incoming R160s. the TA wouldn't change the specs of the HVACs just to make them quieter when they are halfway through receiving the order. However it is a possibility that the R179's and the 186 new cars ordered as part of the R188 contract might have these newer HVACs, however, we do not know what the make of the HVACs are since PATH is pretty secretive when it comes to specific car specifications. face it, we only know that the PA-5's are manufactured by Kawasaki and that they have Siemens propulsion, but that's pretty much it. on the other hand, we have complete spec sheets for NYC's rolling stock.

Since when is every car on a line stored in its yard at once? That is my question.

Not every car on a given line is stored in the yard overnight. What I was pointing out is that the (7) line itself has never used that amount of cars even when they ran more service. The 500+ number exceeds the capacity of the line itself, including the yard space.

Those are high-speed trains and probably have a set lower life expentancy than regular railcars.
Actually, Alstom's TGV Sud-Est from 1981 still has no plans of retirement. In fact, they can probably last for another decade or so. Now that's over 20 years.

Then you must not have seen this source:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/procure/contracts/r34188sol.pdf

and if you have, then you must have mis-counted.

oh, and 409 doesn't divide out evenly to 11. you get this: 37.18 repeating

and some additional tidbits:

there are currently 37 full R62A trains assigned to Corona Yard.

Oh yeah, after adding all of the mentioned numbers, the sum does arrive to 506 cars. However there are 409 R62As at Corona currently.

Not every car on a given line is stored in the yard overnight. What I was pointing out is that the (7) line itself has never used that amount of cars even when they ran more service. The 500+ number exceeds the capacity of the line itself, including the yard space.

Need i say more?

They did, but the test on the (7) failed. Otherwise, IINM, the (7) would have gotten them first (or at least a priority).

no the R142A passed remember in april 2008 when the R142A ran on the flushing line? (the taking of pelham 123)

That was a modified R62A. They couldn't use an R142A due to the cars being linked into 5-car sets.

They actually did took a R142/A to Flushing and modified a single R62A car. The single car was then attached to the train, IINM.

But again, that train was never in passenger service. It's just a prop.

but remember, once they are done with the (7)<7> extension there are supposed to be several layup tracks down at 11th ave and 23rd street.

also, it is known that they lay up extra cars on the express track when it is not in use.

with the planned fleet expansion, there will be an additional 9 trains (37 R62A to 46 R188). I'm sure that they will be able to store the extra trains in the layup at 23rd street.

Archived