Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Y2Julio

Getting to Pittsburgh Pirates stadium

I'm thinking about going to a Mets game for my birthday but it would be out in Pittsburgh. Any idea how I could get there from NYC via public transit? Trying to see if it would be cheaper than taking an Amtrak train out there.

I'm thinking about going to a Mets game for my birthday but it would be out in Pittsburgh. Any idea how I could get there from NYC via public transit? Trying to see if it would be cheaper than taking an Amtrak train out there.

Try Greyhound.

As far as local Pittsburgh mass transit here their website.

http://www.portauthority.org/paac/default.aspx

Hit link for Pirates games 2009.

PNC Park is near Downtown Pittsburgh next to Heinz Stadium home of the NFL Steelers. I did not see a game yet at PNC but i see both the Pittsburgh ballparks. It was coming back from a trip in Chicago in 2004(ballpark opened in 2000-01 i think) i love seeing the Pittsburgh skyline and the Roberto Clemente Bridge.

Among the newer retro MLB ballparks bulit in last 15 years, I been to, PNC is among my favorites.:cool:

Too bad the Pirates have been terrible since Barry Bonds left the team.

Seems like it won't be worth the hassle. I guess I'll stay in NYC.

Seems like it won't be worth the hassle. I guess I'll stay in NYC.

Pittsburgh is 6-7 hours drive from NYC area. Julio If you want an 'easier' road trip to see the Mets, I suggest Washington, DC when Mets play the Nats.

You can take BoltBus, etc and get to DC cheap. DC is only 4 hours away driving or by bus.

I would avoid Philly for now since tickets are at CBP are hard to get as the Phillies are the defending champs.

If you wanna go, I suggest you rather get tickets for the Red Sox and Mets interleague game, or you can go to Washington D.C., but it's in June before they play a game in DC.

I agree take Amtrak. You get to go around Horseshoe curve which is worth a trip all to itself. If you really want you could take NJT/SEPTA Trenton shuffle to 30th and pick up the Pennsylvanian there, or you could just pick up the Pennsylvanian in NYP.

I agree take Amtrak. You get to go around Horseshoe curve which is worth a trip all to itself. If you really want you could take NJT/SEPTA Trenton shuffle to 30th and pick up the Pennsylvanian there, or you could just pick up the Pennsylvanian in NYP.

I'd suggest getting it from NYP, because it has, like most amtk trains, higher speed clearance on the NEC. Getting it in philly or trenton may be trickier involving having to catch a (NJT) train before the pennsylvanian is even brought into nyp for food and an interior cleaning.

However if you can do it, you'll save some $, i'll look into the schedule right now, what day would you be going? :)

- A

Take amtrak! :)

- A

No train will get to Pittsburgh before the game starts (7PM) and the next train leaving would be at 7:30am the next day.

If you wanna go, I suggest you rather get tickets for the Red Sox and Mets interleague game, or you can go to Washington D.C., but it's in June before they play a game in DC.

Is that 3-game series a sell out?(Mets vs Red Sox at Fenway) I assume it because it the Memorial Holiday weekend. might try to get standing room tickets for the Sunday night game. I am going to nearby Portland, Maine on that holiday weekend for fishing trip.

Guys i think Julio is on a budget and does not have alot to go to Pittsburgh. That i suggested DC, Philly(if he get tickets in advance)or Boston for Mets road trip close to home.

Wait, we're talking about Pittsburgh, PA right? How does this relate to SEPTA?

Isn't SEPTA a state thing?

No. SEPTA serves the area around Philadelphia. The acronym stands for: Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Agency. Pittsburgh is served by the PAT, IINM.

Nope

SOUTH EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA TRANSIT AUTHORITY...Philadelphia and a few surrounding counties in PA along with rail in Delaware.

julio Pittsburgh and Phildelphia are 6-7 hour drive apart. Pittsburgh is near Buffalo in Western Pa and Phildelphia is in Eastern Pa. Julio you seem not to travel much do you?

I think this topic belongs in the off topic section. Metsfan or Julio please move it? I agree it has nothing to do with SEPTA.

wow, I just moderated myself lol. Maybe I should do something like this during the summer time so I can plan it better.

Seriouly Julio if you need planning a Mets road trip i can email you links.

I am not a Metsfan but i got family(one of my brothers lives near Philly)in Philly and DC areas. I can drive you to a game if you want since i have a car.

FYI. The name of the Pittsburgh area mass transit system their version of the MTA is the Allegany County Port Authority the county Pitt is in.

Speakin'a driving......

I've sworn off driving anywhere, save an emergency, for life. I've gone enough miles per hours in enough parking lots and on enough roads to last several lifetimes. I'd rather sit back relax & let someone else do the job while i take photos. Thank you public transportation! (especially LIRR & (7)<7>) :cool: :tup:

I hope you can figure something out. Be a shame to miss a game at PNC, you could get to compare it to citi.

- A

My suggestion: take Jet Blue. Why? 1. its faster (only about an hour), 2. price- if you book ASAP the fare is $49 OW as opposed to Amtrak which is $63 OW, 3. flexibility- there is a flight that leaves JFK at 2:59 PM which arrives PIT at 4:46 PM. There is a flight which leaves PIT at 10:39 AM which arrives JFK at 12:04 PM.

My suggestion: take Jet Blue. Why? 1. its faster (only about an hour), 2. price- if you book ASAP the fare is $49 OW as opposed to Amtrak which is $63 OW, 3. flexibility- there is a flight that leaves JFK at 2:59 PM which arrives PIT at 4:46 PM. There is a flight which leaves PIT at 10:39 AM which arrives JFK at 12:04 PM.

Train back, plane there. Good idea.

- A

They have a small section in PNC park of outfield reserve seats on the right field side($35.00 in advance or $40.00 if you buy the ticket on game day)...called "all you can eat seats.":p