Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel The Cool

How Many Slants are there left on the (A)

I'm trying to get pics of slants on the (A) but I'm keep having no luck at all, Does anyone know how many sets left on the (A). I wished they stayed at Coney Island Yard to serve it last years on the (;)(Q) lines.

8 full sets, then another few mixed in with R42.

Just wait at canal or 14th st. ;)

- A

I'm trying to get pics of slants on the (A) but I'm keep having no luck at all, Does anyone know how many sets left on the (A). I wished they stayed at Coney Island Yard to serve it last years on the (;)(Q) lines.

I believe about 5-6 sets of R40s are remaining on the (A) as of right now.

It's about 4 sets of R40s left on the (A). Those remaining sets will be gone by June-July. Another set is expected to retire by next week with another R46 being transferred.

And, there are NO R42s on the (A) line. There are no mixtures of R40/42 on the (A), just R40 Slants.

54 R40 slants remain in service, I saw 2 sets yesterday when I was on an R32 (A).

8 full sets, then another few mixed in with R42.

Just wait at canal or 14th st. ;)

- A

There are 4-5 sets on the (A), R40 modifieds and R42s no longer run on the (A). They were sent to Jamaica Yard in January.

There are a few slants hanging out at Concourse Yard, if I pay more attention, I will be able to get you guys a few numbers.

As for where you can get them, I'll say anywhere along the (A), but chances are slimmer as the days go past. Have some patience and you'll catch one. This week, I saw slants at Jay and Fulton, by chance.

40-60 left (I think 3838's number of 54 is right). They'll all be gone by the end of May/early June at the very latest, so get your pics in at good stations i.e. 14th St. and the Rockaways.

saw like 2 sets today, at about 3PM and 3:45 at 125th St, SB (I always see one at around that time[3:35PM to 4PM] at 125th + R46s, best chances is there or further stops at a later time)

And.. oh great, now that the R40s are dropping, now we all panic about the numbers of cars left, same as we did with the R38s in march lol. So we should start checking car numbers...

And.. oh great, now that the R40s are dropping, now we all panic about the numbers of cars left, same as we did with the R38s in march lol. So we should start checking car numbers...

As a matter of fact, this panic will be even greater. The slants have so many fans. The Datasheet team will provide you guys with the latest information on retirements.

As a matter of fact, this panic will be even greater. The slants have so many fans. The Datasheet team will provide you guys with the latest information on retirements.

Yep, that's right! They are the kings of Railfanning and A/C.

The 8 sets number was from jan/feb. The (E) is running with mods, R160 and R42 right now also, but before they were mod/42 and slant mix on the (A). Lot of stuff changed in the last 6 weeks. (E) is now R42 and R40m mixed sets, R42 fulll sets, and R160. There are very, very few R42 left now. After R42 go, the R46 will go. I know some of you love those, but... The times, they are a changin'. :cool:

- A

After R42 go, the R46 will go. I know some of you love those, but... The times, they are a changin'. :cool:

- A

Not that fast though, not say, for a decade.

How can the R40M/R42s be next after the R40A if the R32s are running on the (C), which is the oldest cars in the entire fleet. I'm still wondering what will replace the R32s, unless its the R46 then...

How can the R40M/R42s be next after the R40A if the R32s are running on the (C), which is the oldest cars in the entire fleet. I'm still wondering what will replace the R32s, unless its the R46 then...

I strongly believe that the R40M/R42s will go after the R40 slants.

The reason:

-The R32s are more suitable for the (C) due to the C/R board thing. If they go before the R40M/R42s, the (C) will have to use the R40M/R42s. And I'm sure that the average (C) rider would hate to walk 120 feet to the train. Not to mention, they do run and accidents happen.

-IINM, R32 steel is much more better than the R40M/R42s, many of them are in good shape. They could survive longer, I believe, than the R40M/R42s

-Plus, it takes time and money to move cars back and forth

So yes, after the R32s are gone for sure, the (C) will most likely get R46s.

I strongly believe that the R40M/R42s will go after the R40 slants.

The reason:

-The R32s are more suitable for the (C) due to the C/R board thing. If they go before the R40M/R42s, the (C) will have to use the R40M/R42s. And I'm sure that the average (C) rider would hate to walk 120 feet to the train. Not to mention, they do run and accidents happen.

-IINM, R32 steel is much more better than the R40M/R42s, many of them are in good shape. They could survive longer, I believe, than the R40M/R42s

-Plus, it takes time and money to move cars back and forth

So yes, after the R32s are gone for sure, the (C) will most likely get R46s.

Confused. Why cant the R40M/42 just stop at the same C/R board where the R42 is at?

Edited by mark1447

Confused. Why cant the R40M/42 just stop at the same C/R board where the R43 is at?

No C/R controls in the T/O cab. If they were to stop at the same board the T/O cab in the fourth car would align with the board. The C/R would be in the fifth car's C/R cab, 60 feet behind the board. The C/R needs to see the board to know that it is safe to open the doors.

The R32 are older by about a year and a half than R40 variants. At one point the entire IND/BMT system was the legacy SMEE equipment combined with R32/R38 and R40 variants. This changed with the R44/46. The R44's are huge in number just like the R46. Basically the R44 and R46 will become the R32 and R40 of current situation, with the dwindling order of OTT being slowly replaced by NTT.

R32 are much, much more numerous than remaining R40 variants & current remaining R42. About 2x as many. The reason for this is because original R42 numbers were lower than the R32 order by about 200 cars (taking ones scrapped in accidents into acct). The R38 order was only 200 cars, so they were rare to begin with & are now gone. The R40 variants replaced the legacy SMEE partially, with the R42 order taking up the rest. Then more of the younger legacy fleet was retired in come the R44 and R46, leaving only the redbirds & greenbirds etc and so on.

My point is the R40/42 were never as numerous & are in worse shape, hence why they are going to be gone very soon.

Note: My subway equipment knowledge is not vast so if there are any errors please forgive:))

- A

No C/R controls in the T/O cab. If they were to stop at the same board the T/O cab in the fourth car would align with the board. The C/R would be in the fifth car's C/R cab, 60 feet behind the board. The C/R needs to see the board to know that it is safe to open the doors.

Your saying if the the C/Rs cab was to stop at the same Board, the last few cars may not make it into the station even if its 8 car train. Sorry just dont understand much.. =X

Your saying if the the C/Rs cab was to stop at the same Board, the last few cars may not make it into the station even if its 8 car train. Sorry just dont understand much.. =X

Wait what?

Okay, here's the thing. When the (C) ran those guys, the trains stopped at the S position, which meant all trains. That is the very front. Under normal circumstances (with R32s and the late-R38s), the (C) would stop at the "8" position, which demarcates the stopping point for 8 car trains. The (C) ran 8 car trains with slants, mods and R42s, but every (C) train had to stop at the S position, which meant, that the typical passenger would have to walk an extra distance to get to the last car. Many Brooklyn stations, in the Manhattan bound directions have exits situated near the end of the train.

Wait what?

Okay, here's the thing. When the (C) ran those guys, the trains stopped at the S position, which meant all trains. That is the very front. Under normal circumstances (with R32s and the late-R38s), the (C) would stop at the "8" position, which demarcates the stopping point for 8 car trains. The (C) ran 8 car trains with slants, mods and R42s, but every (C) train had to stop at the S position, which meant, that the typical passenger would have to walk an extra distance to get to the last car. Many Brooklyn stations, in the Manhattan bound directions have exits situated near the end of the train.

That, and the fact that the C/R MUST be able to see the board before he or she opens the doors. If the train stops at the 8-car marker the C/R can't see the board and thus cannot open the doors because the cab is too far back, not because cars are out of the station. To get the cab even with the board, they moved the trains up to the S (10-car) marker, thus the extra distance from the end of the train to the exit.

Oh ok I see, its the that they have to stop at. So even tho there is a [8] sign, they still need to stop at ? Why not just [8]~

its no suprise that the R40s are going then hopefully the 40m/42s will be gone next.

Oh ok I see, its the that they have to stop at. So even tho there is a [8] sign, they still need to stop at ? Why not just [8]~

That, and the fact that the C/R MUST be able to see the board before he or she opens the doors. If the train stops at the 8-car marker the C/R can't see the board and thus cannot open the doors because the cab is too far back, not because cars are out of the station. To get the cab even with the board, they moved the trains up to the S (10-car) marker, thus the extra distance from the end of the train to the exit.

This doesn't happen with the R32s because there are C/R controls in every cab.