The Return of the Bus Bell Cord - NY Times

Princelex

IMO, the pull cord is better than the tape. People, sitting, could just lean over to the window and yank at the cord to signal a stop. On the hand, on the buses that use tape, many sitting passengers would have to stand, reach for the tape. Some passengers are not tall enough to reach the tape on the top. Therefore, the pull cord is better.

hell no,i like the tape strip better over those cords.

tape stripes are better then cords.

i hope the (MTA) does not start putting cords on buses because that would be a waste of money and cords are not needed on buses and only tape strip should be used on buses not cords. :mad:

i hope the (MTA) does not start putting cords on buses because that would be a waste of money and cords are not needed on buses and only tape strip should be used on buses not cords. :mad:

Dude, relax. Don't get upset over it.

Why shouldn't the MTA use cords?

I like the Bell Cord, seems so classic, i like to pull it sometimes =) , just a few tho lol. Makes me feel like im blowing the train whsile~

The tape of course isnt as good, people who are sitting down and are not tall enough for the ones above the bus and are not sitting next to a windows with the tape have to ether go across with there arms to over the perosn in front push the tap or request the person to do so......

Although I will kinda miss the tape a bit, been using it since I was little.. Hmmm , I wonder if the tapes were nessery because the bell cord can easily break if pullt hard?

NO WAY?! The Orion VII NG's have cords?! (excuse my lack of bus knowledge as I'm not an avid bus fan, and only ride the M57, M66, B68, B11, and B6) Thats so cool! But I like the red buttons also!

You never rode a Orion VII NG? Try the M60, its packing with NGs with some Orion 7..

BTW the red "STOP" request buttons has been around since Orion VI i think...

Although I will kinda miss the tape a bit, been using it since I was little.. Hmmm , I wonder if the tapes were nessery because the bell cord can easily break if pullt hard?

Those bell cords are designed to be flexible enough that a strong tug won't break it. They look flimsy, but don't underestimate them.

Hmmm. For me, I guess it depends on the type of bus. On the Orion VII, definitely pull cords mixed with push buttons, because it's hard to reach anything from the last set of double seats on the lower level without a pull cord.

RTS and Orion V, I like the tape better. Looks cleaner.

Other places that went back to the cords in the mid 80's ha them aligned just like the tape (vertically on the bulkheads between windows) so that it would be just as easy to reacjh as the tape. I know I used to see this on the Flxible Metro's, and in places like LA.

Those bell cords are designed to be flexible enough that a strong tug won't break it. They look flimsy, but don't underestimate them.

kool, Does this include the cords on the MTA Bus Company versions. I think GMC RTS and Orion 5 CNG?

The push buttons are designed for those standing up, IINM.

perhaps...

but they're used way more by passengers that are seated.... go figure...

---------------

anyway, I wouldn't advocate for more pull cords on buses... but I don't necessarily hate them either....

main problem I have w/ the pull cords is that, there's a higher percentage of buses that have pull cords on them (disregarding the ones on the new O7 NG's), that are defunct for whatever the reason.... I hate having to yell "GETTING OFF", instead of pulling a cord or pressing the tape (it happens on those also, but at a lesser rate)...

I've never been on a local route where the red stop buttons didn't work...

However, on the MCI's (exp. routes), totally different story....

Over here on Staten Island, there's at least 20-25 different 1999 Orion Vs at CAS or Yukon that have pull cords installed. Every SI O5 that is getting overhauled is also getting their strips replaced as well.

img00004hr9.jpg

oh no. :mad:

that is the stupidest idea ever,they are wasting money on putting cords on the 1999 orion v and replacing tape strips. :tdown: I hope they don't put cords on other buses or the bus will fail. :mad:

Interesting that the MTA is going refit to the NYCTA spec'd buses with strip cords. I know the PBL Orion Vs and RTS already had the cords so its going to be interesting to see NYCT Orion V/RTS/New flyers with the cords.

They are on the New Flyer D40 LF (i think thats what its called, the CNG low floor one made my New Flyer) and up

Those buses are C40LF...

Interesting that the MTA is going refit to the NYCTA spec'd buses with strip cords. I know the PBL Orion Vs and RTS already had the cords so its going to be interesting to see NYCT Orion V/RTS/New flyers with the cords.

oh no,please i hope the NYCT's RTS/orion v/New Flyers don't get cords,i want the tape strip to stay.

Archived