How is the R142 doing in service?

Tracknut

I always wanted to know a little more about the R142's. I was riding in one last week and everytime I do I notice new things about them. They have weird looking wheel sets. 2 questions for all!

How are they holding up with the heavy volume of ridership on the IRT?

I've never seen an R142 have to strain to get its wheels-a-turnin' during the rush hours, so it's doing fine. So far, there have been no R142 wrecks, or really any problems I've heard of, so in general, they are doing great (FYI, I like the R142A 'cause it sound cool).

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks ago I rode on them. I rarely ride the subway, since I have a SUV, but going into Manhattan, I am using the train. It was job related (had to go to the Manhattan DA's office). Those trains are VERY smooth at lower speeds, whereas the R62 are a little more rough. The R 62 do start off smoother, since it doesn't have a CPU "telling" the brakes to release. At high express run speeds, forget it. That # 5 train was rocking side to side harshly. If I weren't holding on, I would of gotten tossed. When I rode the 3 express, that was a smooth ride at the higher speeds.

I wonder if at certain speeds do the older train suspension systems do a better job than newer ones, and at lower speeds vice-versa.

I'd say pretty well, however, those sudden JOLTS whenever the train starts off and the brakes come on (which feel somewhat rougher than in the older cars) have me apologizing to the person next to me all too often! ;)

How are they holding up with the heavy volume of ridership on the IRT?

If you try boarding them during rush hours (especially on the Lexington Avenue line), you'd wish they were as wide as the R46's. Perhaps a little improvement would serve room-wise! :(

If you try boarding them during rush hours (especially on the Lexington Avenue line), you'd wish they were as wide as the R46's. Perhaps a little improvement would serve room-wise! :(

They are workhorses for the loads they endure on a daily basis. Some data on facts and figures about the cars performance would be great.

Archived