NTT boredom

CamScontrol

I don't know, maybe its just me but does it seem like the subway is becoming more boring as the NTT's replace all of the old cars? Thats just my view on it, what's yours?

From what I've heard a lot of people said the same thing about the early SMEEs when they came out (R16-R30, R33, R36) but then that changed and people waxed nostalgic for those when they finally started to go away. Car classes come and car classes go. Even if the equipment "bores" you there's still plenty of interesting stuff in the system, whether it's the history, the stations, the lines, old services and remnants from long ago that have been kept around etc.

When you think about it the arnines are a very beloved car class by train buffs and crews a like. Yet when you think about it, aren't all arnines more or less the same?

People like what they ride, and they ride what's running. Ride enough new techs and send 'em off into retirement someday 30-40 years from now and people will miss them too.

That is true but you would have to replace them all at the same time though.

Well the thing is though, if you have like 5 different classes, you're going to have to spend more time on training train crews with different equipment.

And yes, when they have to be replaced, they will have to be replaced in a short range of time.

true. that and you'll need less crews to operate them since CBTC is becoming widespread

CBTC is a signal system, nothing more. I think you're referring to ATO (Automated Train Operation). That still requires an operator to sit at the controls and monitor the train's performance, being prepared of course to take over in teh case of an emergency

CBTC is a signal system, nothing more. I think you're referring to ATO (Automated Train Operation). That still requires an operator to sit at the controls and monitor the train's performance, being prepared of course to take over in teh case of an emergency

oh yeah my bad.

And you also need the C/R to open the doors and be there in case of an emergency.

true, they could automate the C/R though.

oh yeah my bad.

true, they could automate the C/R though.

When or if they eliminate the C/R from trains the (MTA) will need to hire half as many people in the Dept. of Subways. That means that half of the posters that want to will never operate a train because they won't be needed.And the T/O seniority list moves verrrry slowlllly. Is that what you really want to happen? I think you may be in the minority on this one.

When or if they eliminate the C/R from trains the (MTA) will need to hire half as many people in the Dept. of Subways. That means that half of the posters that want to will never operate a train because they won't be needed.And the T/O seniority list moves verrrry slowlllly. Is that what you really want to happen? I think you may be in the minority on this one.

I dont want it to happen, im just saying that it could as a result of the new technology.

I don't know, maybe its just me but does it seem like the subway is becoming more boring as the NTT's replace all of the old cars? Thats just my view on it, what's yours?

I agree, the subway does seem less interesting as these NTT take over.

I disagree entirely actually. In spite of the fact that the subway is used by people to get from one place to another, the NTTs' purpose is also provide more comfort to the riders. What you all see as "boring" is actually what an ordinary person see as satisfactory. Indeed modern trains are not as loud or have poor suspension as the SMEEs, but commuters don't want to end up with headaches or back pains as a result of excessive noise or bumpy trains. Even though my major complaint is that these modern trains don't come with bucket seats, I think the MTA has stepped towards the right direction in providing commuters the maximum comfort.

From a railfan's point of view yeah the R160s/R143s are boring to me. They seem less roomie also. But from the rider's point of view, they do run fast, have plenty of displays for people who don't know the subway and such. I do like the R142s their clear energetic announcements and they run quite alright for me. I'd like to see more of those running around at least on the IRT lines such as the (7) and the (1).

Bottomline is the MTA can't just be here to please the railfans. They need to take care of their commuting customers first and since I'm a commuter first and a railfan second, I have to put aside my personal opinion on the matter when it comes up and just say it's all for the best and I'll have plenty of pictures and videos to remember what used to be.

Atleast there is One NTT that won't bore me, The R142A's, Those Are way better than The R142's,143's and The R160's, I wish they can Be on the (3), and a few on the (1), I rather send the r142's to the (7).

I just hope you know that when the R32's-R42's replaced the BMT Standards, Triplexes, and all the rest, I'm sure railfans were angry that the BMT cars were going away, and didn't take the R32-R42 in with welcome. Its the same case here, only its the next generation. and in 40 or so years when the NTT's are getting replaced, people will be upset that the R160 is getting replaced and not take its replacments with welcome.

I don't like change in most cases. This is one of them. After being accustomed to the cars on revenue now...its kinda sad to see them go. But like how it is with my favorite anime shows...i learn to live with it and move on and just go "Hey remember when....?" Maybe we'll get a major surprise with some of the NTT that will come in the next couple of decades that will be just as nice as the R32s-R42s and such.

The NTTs are boring, but that doesn't stop me from liking them. Like what everyone said, they provide maximum satisfaction for regular commuters. A lot of people complain about the FINDs and use that example of labeling the NTTs crap, however, take into consideration that there are no FINDs on the SMEE trains before.

And plus, we have an entire new set of cars that we will live to see the beginning and retirement of. When the NTTs retire, we'll also be missing them dearly and they will mean a lot more to us than the SMEE trains.

Atleast there is One NTT that won't bore me, The R142A's, Those Are way better than The R142's,143's and The R160's, I wish they can Be on the (3), and a few on the (1), I rather send the r142's to the (7).
I'm curious at why you don't favor the R143s as much as the R142As. I mean they both have that annoying acceleration and are quite "loud" during their runs.

Archived