BOSS exam today: Do I need CDL permit?

FutureBusman

Thanks for helping us hopefully future B/0's out. Tell Chris that I have a place where he can take his scanner to get the bus frequencies programmed.

Yes,we have heard about truck and school bus drivers not qualifying. I have been searching for somebody out there who owns an old but running RTS bus,most likely somebody out of new york state. I would pay that person just to sit inside the bus,practice the pre trip,air brake tests,even practice making turns using traffic cones. Of course while the owner of the bus is on board with me and in a very quiet rural area.

I have looked at websites where they sell used transit buses. Just having the bus transported to your home 1,000+miles away isn't worth it,let alone the insurance,maintenance,parking lot expenses,etc.

dont waste your time or money with that, you will learn how to drive the bus believe me, i am more comfey driving my bus (brand new orion hybrids and oldies mcis) better than my car, jusst pay attention. one thing about RTS's is the brake is a little trickey, orions is more like your car.

dont waste your time or money with that, you will learn how to drive the bus believe me, i am more comfey driving my bus (brand new orion hybrids and oldies mcis) better than my car, jusst pay attention. one thing about RTS's is the brake is a little trickey, orions is more like your car.

Cool,have you driven the hybrids? They are phasing out the RTS buses right? Orions are the main brand these days.

Cool,have you driven the hybrids? They are phasing out the RTS buses right? Orions are the main brand these days.

i wonder how long it takes to phase out the RTS. i mean we still have A LOT!

You don't need the CDL permit for the test. I took the test also on Friday at 1:30. That test was so stupid. Everyone probably lied on that exam. I was surprised it didn't ask "Do you love your mother," Anyway, if you are serious, get the permit ASAP. I still don't have mine yet, because I am not sure if I will pass the physical.

i wonder how long it takes to phase out the RTS. i mean we still have A LOT!

I heard that the last RTS purchased by the MTA was from the late 90's,so what is the average lifespan of a bus in NYC? 15-17 yrs?...the bus buffs on the other threads would know about this.

Question:Where will this years Bus Rodeo be at? Must go to event for anybody on the hiring lists.

I heard that the last RTS purchased by the MTA was from the late 90's,so what is the average lifespan of a bus in NYC? 15-17 yrs?...the bus buffs on the other threads would know about this.

Question:Where will this years Bus Rodeo be at? Must go to event for anybody on the hiring lists.

we still have some 1993 RTS running in flatbush. that's 94xx series. that's 16 yrs old.

rodeo was in floyd bennett field last year. i guess it's gonna be at the same place this year

when it comes to license requirements, (MTA) will take you with a CDL permit. If you dont got one yet, I advise you to go to DMV and take the test. For BP license which (MTA) wants there is three parts. General Knowledge, Passenger, Air Brakes. you must pass General Knowledge test to convert your license into CDL. you dont have to take all three test at the same time. If you passed air brake or passenger but failed general knowledge your license will stay as drivers but your record will show all passing tests. NOTE: general knowledge is the longset one. once (MTA) calls you and all paper work has been completed you will get seven days to complete your hands-on training. they will give you three extra days if they see that you not ready for passenger service. if you are ready then (MTA) will set up a road test with an offical DMV road instructor get your CDL premit into a CDL BP license. good luck newbies :tup:

we still have some 1993 RTS running in flatbush. that's 94xx series. that's 16 yrs old.

rodeo was in floyd bennett field last year. i guess it's gonna be at the same place this year

Is it true that the Jamaica depot is the only Queens depot with an all RTS fleet? I am not a fan of the Orions,they are too boxy,too tall,give me an RTS any day.

At Zerega,they give the students bus manuals to take home? how much do they want you to know about the buses?inside and out?

Is it true that the Jamaica depot is the only Queens depot with an all RTS fleet? I am not a fan of the Orions,they are too boxy,too tall,give me an RTS any day.

At Zerega,they give the students bus manuals to take home? how much do they want you to know about the buses?inside and out?

you will get the manual and the benefit folder at 180 Livingston, from the supervisor interview. it's really up to you to study it or not. oh, don't bring the benefit folder on your 1st day to zerega, it doesn't mean anything until you qualify

you will get the manual and the benefit folder at 180 Livingston, from the supervisor interview. it's really up to you to study it or not. oh, don't bring the benefit folder on your 1st day to zerega, it doesn't mean anything until you qualify

Benefit folder? you mean your medical plan choices,etc? You answered my question,they give out the bus manuals before you step foot on a bus to drive it.

Off topic: How do you handle people that stand next to you and talk to you while you are driving? Do you point at the sign that says "please do not talk to the bus operator while the bus is in motion" or do you tell them "shut up and sit down"...lol..that white line should be placed further back,out of sight,out of mind.:cool:

Benefit folder? you mean your medical plan choices,etc? You answered my question,they give out the bus manuals before you step foot on a bus to drive it.

Off topic: How do you handle people that stand next to you and talk to you while you are driving? Do you point at the sign that says "please do not talk to the bus operator while the bus is in motion" or do you tell them "shut up and sit down"...lol..that white line should be placed further back,out of sight,out of mind.:cool:

yea, medical plan and stuff

i just talk to them, usually it won't be a long conversation;)

yea, medical plan and stuff

i just talk to them, usually it won't be a long conversation;)

I can imagine you get a lot of people asking you where can I get an application to work for the MTA,or are they hiring right now?,lol..I bet these are the same people who are anti transit workers,but most people are two faced and you can tell right away. I just brought this up due to the state of our economy.

got a letter from the mta nyct i`m taking the boss survey on teusday june 16 at 1:30 pm. any advice would help alot so please help me. what may they ask u. exam 8006 list number 3514.

its common sence, work place, and every day life questions...cannot study...just dont answer anything on a angry basis. always calm and passive.

got a letter from the mta nyct i`m taking the boss survey on teusday june 16 at 1:30 pm. any advice would help alot so please help me. what may they ask u. exam 8006 list number 3514.

Wow, it seems they are doing all of list 8006 for Boss?

Yeah,I was surprised as well,still Igor has a very long wait though,3-4 yrs probably.

No Loco. I don't think so. They are calling for alot of B/O's and a lot of people from 8006 took the boss already. So they may call you'll sooner then 3-4 yrs.:P Do u have a low or high list #

No Loco. I don't think so. They are calling for alot of B/O's and a lot of people from 8006 took the boss already. So they may call you'll sooner then 3-4 yrs.:P Do u have a low or high list #

I am #706 on the 8006 list,can't complain. I figure 2-2 1/2 yr wait for me,so yeah I will still stick to my prediction for the end of the 8006 list where Igor is..3-4 yrs. Just because you have taken the Boss doesn't mean that you are close to the next step in the hiring process.

well it really depends on the need of bus drivers

And also the state of our economy as well as the state of the MTA. You know there will be future deficits for the MTA. We are just coming off a 1+year long hiring freeze,so for now there will be hiring.

Jah said that there were more B/O firings last year then in all of the other departments combined. So in a way that is good news for us waiting on the lists. Do you think if they raised the qualifications for the job of B/O that there would be less firings/turnover? I think so.

I am #706 on the 8006 list,can't complain. I figure 2-2 1/2 yr wait for me,so yeah I will still stick to my prediction for the end of the 8006 list where Igor is..3-4 yrs. Just because you have taken the Boss doesn't mean that you are close to the next step in the hiring process.

I think you stand a good chance at being called soon. Because a lot of B/O's are just waiting to leave. TA has to make sure they have people to replace them with before they do. Pluse the new depots that just opened or are about to open has to be filled. Plus the other bus lines they took over. And you have a lot of driver's old & new that get kicked out because they just can't stay off the cell phone. Or they fail the drug test one to many times.

:)

I think you stand a good chance at being called soon. Because a lot of B/O's are just waiting to leave. TA has to make sure they have people to replace them with before they do. Pluse the new depots that just opened or are about to open has to be filled. Plus the other bus lines they took over. And you have a lot of driver's old & new that get kicked out because they just can't stay off the cell phone. Or they fail the drug test one to many times.

:)

lovelyday: which depot you prefer to pick? what's your 2nd choice?

Archived