G Heads To Church Starting July 5th

Sea Beach

The G line grows in Brooklyn

By Heather Haddon

G train riders, for once, can expect some good news.

The MTA board is looking to extend the G line five stops deeper into Brooklyn to Church Avenue.

If approved, the new service will begin July 5. G commuters will gain a free transfer to the M and R lines at the 4th Avenue stop.

The $2.5 million change is a necessary first step in overhauling the Culver Viaduct, an 80-year-old cement structure that carries the F and G lines past the Gowanus Canal.

The MTA is replacing the tracks, signals and concrete on the crumbling viaduct that stands at the highest point in the subway system.

The MTA board will vote on the changes later this month.

Source: http://weblogs.amny.com/entertainment/urbanite/blog/2009/05/the_g_line_grows_in_brooklyn.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

When this happens,the G will start to be based out of C.I Yard. It will be running R68's. Maybe R160's to?

but it's waiting for approval by the (MTA) board.

we all know its gonna happen.

Nice! hopefully the (F) will run express

highly doubt that,maybe the (G)'s that need to go back to C.I Yard will run via Culver Exp, in service,like how they extend some (E) to 179 duriing rush hours :eek:

also,whats gonna happen to all the (G)'s R46's??

highly doubt that,maybe the (G)'s that need to go back to C.I Yard will run via Culver Exp, in service,like how they extend some (E) to 179 duriing rush hours :eek:

The (G)'s R46s are going on the (A) most likely. And the (MTA) said last year they will try to revive the culver express.

i doubt it will happen,but it's a good idea.

also the (G) line will become all R68/R68A.:tup:

The (G)'s R46s are going on the (A) most likely. And the (MTA) said last year they will try to revive the culver express.

There will be no express service untill the Prospect Park line viaduct project is done. The project is expected to take 3 or so years.

The (G) would get murdered if it has to handle the load from Park Slope. The (F) needs to continue providing service along Park Slope.

That and the express tracks are out of service due to the Culver Viaduct project and will continue to be for several years.

Guest Charles
I say make the (G) 600 feet long and allow it to run local to church, and the (F) express to Church.

If the (G) does get based out of Coney Island, there won't be any possibility for 600 feet trains:

1) R160s are in 5-car sets, 300 ft each.

2) R68s are in 4-car sets, 300 ft. each.

The only possibilities for 600-feet trains are 3 pairs of R32s/R40s or 1 set of 4-R46s plus 2 even-even R46s. None of the aforementioned car classes are currently out of Coney Island...yet. (Just speculating.)

If the (G) does get based out of Coney Island, there won't be any possibility for 600 feet trains:

1) R160s are in 5-car sets, 300 ft each.

2) R68s are in 4-car sets, 300 ft. each.

The only possibilities for 600-feet trains are 3 pairs of R32s/R40s or 1 set of 4-R46s plus 2 even-even R46s. None of the aforementioned car classes are currently out of Coney Island...yet. (Just speculating.)

Uhm, dude, all BMT/IND trains besides the (C)(G)(currently) and Franklin (S) are 600 feet long. 2 sets (8 cars) of R44's R46's and R68/A's make 600 feet, 5 sets (10 cars) of 60' SMEE's make 600 feet, and 2 sets of R160B's or R160A-2's (10 cars) make 600 feet long. yeah..

Guest Charles
Uhm, dude, all BMT/IND trains besides the (C)(G)(currently) and Franklin (S) are 600 feet long. 2 sets (8 cars) of R44's R46's and R68/A's make 600 feet, 5 sets (10 cars) of 60' SMEE's make 600 feet, and 2 sets of R160B's or R160A-2's (10 cars) make 600 feet long. yeah..

My bad, i was totally thinking of something else

:)

Wow, something even more to justify the large fare increase to people who ride the crosstown (not sarcastic).

The (A)(C)(E) is where OTT go to die. When the R32/R42 are gone you will see the R44 and R46 primarily on (A)(C)(E), till (E) goes NTT % wise till R160 delivery is complete.

- A

Archived